PDA

View Full Version : VAIO desktop not starting RS400 Series

sndlwood
08-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Desktop was shut down in standby mode and I think the power went out in a storm, since it was not in standby today. Now when I plug the desktop back into the power supply all I get is a flashing standby light indicator, the fans for the cpu and the unit come on, but the fan for the video card does not. The computer will not boot...nothing displays on the monitor at all (monitor remains in standby).

Is it time to call the city morgue?

NYJimbo
08-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Desktop was shut down in standby mode and I think the power went out in a storm, since it was not in standby today. Now when I plug the desktop back into the power supply all I get is a flashing standby light indicator, the fans for the cpu and the unit come on, but the fan for the video card does not. The computer will not boot...nothing displays on the monitor at all (monitor remains in standby).

Is it time to call the city morgue?

I don't know if its time to call the city morgue, but when a customers calls me and tells me what you posted above I know I can easily add $100 to the bill. :D

Seriously though, I think you need to go back and re-word your post to be more accurate on what happened. You are mixing terms here and its a bit confusing.

sndlwood
08-03-2008, 10:35 PM
I'll see if I can be clearer:

-The computer was left in Standby (orange standby light indicator remained on, this is the same indicator light that flashed blue when the PC is operating normally), however when I returned to it this morning it was off (no indicator light on). This can happen when the power shuts off in a storm.

-The 'on' button did nothing so I checked the power supply. In fact I unplugged it and plugged it back in, at which point the orange standby indicator light began to flash on and off, on and off, etc. Nothing else happens. It's still flashing now.

-Windows does not boot and as described the cpu and the computers main fan both run, the graphics card fan, does not run at all.

-The monitor remains in standby, nothing displays.

-When I disconnected both hard drives I received the same response when I plugged the desktop back in, just a flashing orange light. So I'm not sure if the computer is even reading the boot drive.

-Holding down the power button to shut the computer off does nothing, the only way to stop the standby indicator light from flashing is to unplug the desktop.

Checkmate
08-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Ok, thanks for the clarification.. that makes it easier for us to try and help you figure out what's up.

After reading what you have tried do I would say to test your RAM. Follow the instructions on this link

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C390770

sndlwood
08-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Ok, that's in interesting solution and I will do what I can with it. One main problem remains, I cannot "turn off the computer".

As with most PCs you depress the power button and hold for a few seconds and the power goes off, but this has no effect here. Is it possible that the power button is faulty?

NYJimbo
08-04-2008, 06:28 PM
If you feel comfortable with it, you might try to remove all RAM and try to power on, see if the computer emits any beeps. If it does then its likely the mobo is still "alive", not just getting voltage. If it doesnt, put the ram back in and then do the same with the video card. If you get no tones on either removal it might inidicate the motherboard is dead. But really you might need to do a voltage check on the PSU or a POST card to test the mobo.

Remember, the monitor is pretty stupid, it really isn't telling you the computer is necessarily in "standby" its just reporting it senses a connected computer but not a signal from the computer that would show video.

Also do a full "physical" review of the motherboard to look for any blown capacitors or anything else that looks like it might be "cooked".

sndlwood
08-04-2008, 06:58 PM
I believe I've taken every step to get the computer to POST, disconnected all external devices, disconnected all internal devices, pulled the graphics card and RAM, I would attempt to remove the CPU if I could figure out how to get the heat sink fan off it (some funny bracket I can't see what to do with). I'm doubtful about the PSU, but have no way of testing it anyway, nothing looks fried (looked it over closely with a magnifying glass, but would a power surge in a storm really show damage?).

I have a bad feeling about the motherboard.

One thing I can't seem to figure out is why that power button does nothing. shouldn't holding it down shut down the power?

NYJimbo
08-04-2008, 07:26 PM
One thing I can't seem to figure out is why that power button does nothing. shouldn't holding it down shut down the power?

I remember the good old days when every computer had a REAL power switch, you know, a toggle on/off which meant that no power was going anywhere.

One day the big brand name computer designers thought it was clever to make the machines with a momentary contact switch to put the machine in a kind of "sleep" mode. Power still got through but it was cut off at some point to the rest of the system. Its more of a logical off than a physical off. Harder to diagnose as not all machines are the same.

So now when you "power off" many machines you are really telling the motherboard to power off. If the motherboard is dead or messed up it might not get the message.

We worked on a machine which would only reboot on a depress of the power off, very annoying.