PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Screen Rant

Cadishead Computers
07-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Now you would think this is easy.

Client comes in with a broken laptop screen, easy sir, cost would be x. Take approx 4 days, get the ok and off we go.

Here's where the fun starts.

<rant>

Client has a HP Pavilion DV 7 series.

Simple enough, remove the screen, note the number, go to ebay, enter the part number, order screen, screen arrives, fit screen. I order a lp173wd(t1)(a1).

Do the above, screen arrives, what arrives but a B173wr01 v.0 - screen connectors on the wrong side. (as you look at it reverse the connectors on the left, I need it on the right.)

Contact suppliers tell them they have sent the wrong screen.

Ok sir, not a problem, we will send a replacement out to you, send yours back, and we will return shipment.

Do that, screen get swapped, replacement screen, same again!.
Contact them again, ok we will send a screen connector.

Wait 2 days for the connector to get here.

Connect it all up, and it doesn't work. Connect the screen direct, and it does.

Contact supplier, mention the cable could be faulty, I would send it back, if they would swap over..

again not a problem. New cable comes through, exactly the same thing!.

Getting fed up, I simply ask for a full refund inc postage. So send the screen back, and the 2 cables, get a refund on the screen. Had to chase for the postage, then then try and dupe me for an extra 2.75. Chase again for that, and get it in my paypal account.

Ok. Lesson learnt, new supplier.

One I have used numerous times before on ebay (Rolta). Order screen, what comes through... yep the wrong one again. Ring them yesterday, mention what part is wrong.

Ok, if you order this ebay number, ...... it is the right screen. (apparently hp for reasons unknown to us have chosen to change the screen connector, and there are 2 versions of this screen!).

Screen no 4 comes through this morning, open the box, and what do I find?
No prizes here as I am out of them!. Yep the wrong ruddy screen again, only this time the screen cost more than the one I ordered on Tuesday!. Exact same details on the invoice.

Contact rolta a few mins ago, they said, well we will send you a screen connector. (forget that idea, tried twice it will not work).

Ok, order this screen ebay no ..... and this is the right one!.

Not a chance mate, I am already out 120 +postage for these 2 screens, how about you send me the screen for delivery tomorrow, and I will return these 2 screens to you tomorrow, for delivery on mon, for a refund?

Sorry sir, against company policy, we need the screen back before replacing or refunding!.

Now its getting on for 2 weeks, my client is fine with the time, as he knows about my accident (another really long story, and is really taking the michael). Tells me not to worry, just get it done when I can. But thats beyond the point. I still need a screen for this lappy!!.

</rant>

Does anyone know where I can find a screen for a DV7 screen no LP173wd(T1)(A1) 17.3" led from please, with a connector on the right as your looking at it from the reverse?, if so please let me know, else I will have to return this laptop with no screen back to my client in its present state!.

Many thanks :)

TLE
07-29-2011, 12:31 PM
How about this one Nige...I've bought from these guys a few times and never had any problems.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-LG-17-3-HD-Laptop-LCD-Screen-glossy-LP173WD1-TLD1-/400225932793?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL&hash=item5d2f5315f9

billyboy
07-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Have you tried TJ Inspirations? On their ebay listing for that screen they say the connector is at the bottom left if you look at the screen from behind.
We get 90% of our screen from there with no problems.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-17-3-LED-HD-Screen-LP173WD1-TL-A1-equivalent-/130491197598?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL&hash=item1e61e1a89e#ht_3095wt_1139

Edit: Just realised you want it on the right hand side so this screen is no good.

Good luck

TLE
07-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Have you tried TJ Inspirations? On their ebay listing for that screen they say the connector is at the bottom left if you look at the screen from behind.
We get 90% of our screen from there with no problems.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-17-3-LED-HD-Screen-LP173WD1-TL-A1-equivalent-/130491197598?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL&hash=item1e61e1a89e#ht_3095wt_1139

Good luck

I think that would be on the wrong side unless I am misunderstanding Nige's post.

billyboy
07-29-2011, 12:47 PM
I think that would be on the wrong side unless I am misunderstanding Nige's post.

Yeah your right there, sorry my mistake!

Cadishead Computers
07-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks Mike, but those guys were my first suppliers.

I may have one in the pipeline though. It's a used one, but talking with the seller this morning (computer components), they say its on the right where it should be.

If not, its fine to send it back to them. (which I thought was nice of them). So fingers x'd. I will win the auction I have bid far in excess of the value of the screen, so should easily win the damned thing, but not so high as I don't make anything out of it lol

johnrobert
07-29-2011, 05:35 PM
You should use a snipe instead of bidding far in excess all your doing is driving up the bid
I use gixen its free
http://www.gixen.com/index.php

I just ordered a 17.3 screen its coming to Canada hope its the right one I enclosed a few pics

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270747600078&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

but its seems most are on the bottom left looking at the back

Cadishead Computers
07-29-2011, 06:21 PM
You should use a snipe instead of bidding far in excess all your doing is driving up the bid
I use gixen its free
http://www.gixen.com/index.php

Thanks for the link. I had heard about sniping many years ago, but as I rarely bid, and normally purchase have never used it.

But now I need something like this, it will come in useful. Thanks again :)

BigMac
07-29-2011, 06:40 PM
We through this exact situation before. Sometimes you are forced to use those adapter cables. Pay close attention to the connectors on them. When they sent me the cable, I hooked it up and no picture. Then got to looking closer and the way I was plugging it up was not correct, even though it looked right. I actually had to fold one side of the cable to get it to work properly.. if that makes sense. After I did this, all worked well.

Martyn
07-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Nige have a look on Ebay for a seller called Bumblesale. They helped me out when I was in the same situation(actually with TJInspirations). TJ gave me a refund but couldn't get the right Dell screen. I phoned up Bumblesale and they got me the one I wanted next day. I've used them a few times.

Cadishead Computers
07-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks guys, I have used bumblesale in the past myself. If memory serves I recommended him on tn a while back.

I will wait till tomorrow, when this auction finishes, if I win it, alls well, and carry on as normal. If not, then I will check either the cable as bigmac pointed out, or contact bumblesale.

johnrobert
07-29-2011, 08:12 PM
What about this one plug seems to be on right

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6326-1-x-TESTED-17-3-MATT-LAPTOP-LED-SCREEN-/150639424035?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL&hash=item2312cf3223

Cadishead Computers
07-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks for that John. It's another one to look into should the need arise.

Will know tomorrow, if I have won or not. Should do though lol. ;)

johnrobert
07-29-2011, 11:46 PM
How well do they pack these screens?
I'm a bit concerned about an item so fragile coming from the UK to Canada
Without getting Brocken

RichmondTech
07-30-2011, 01:57 AM
dvdsuper999 is who I use for laptop screens. Ordered both Dell and HP screens and they have come in on time and in perfect condition. Based in the US, but can ship just about anywhere.

HubCityPC
07-30-2011, 02:54 AM
dvdsuper999 is who I use for laptop screens.

+1 for eBay seller dvdsuper999

I've ordered quite a few screens from them, always the right one and well packaged. They are near Dallas, Tx and I'm next door in Louisiana so shipping is usually 2 days. If you call them directly and speak to Apple, she'll save you a few bucks as they can avoid paying those seller fees to eBay.

If anyone needs, PM me and I can provide their phone number.

javjim
08-10-2011, 08:52 PM
I have bought from www.laptopscreen.com

check it if u can

Cadishead Computers
08-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the link Jim, however i'm in the UK, not in the US or Canada. Link may be good for others though :)

Steve202
08-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Check out www.ipc-computer.eu (http://www.ipc-computer.eu/).

I've used them in the past and can't fault them. They are a German company but shipment to the UK is pretty quick.