PDA

View Full Version : How to Determine upgradibility of a Laptop

Pc Fixed Right
07-31-2008, 07:20 PM
I want to know whats the quickest easiest painless way I can determine what the fastest processor a laptop will take. A customer with a Acer 2434 laptop would like to upgrade the cpu. I checked out the documentation on Acers (extremely slow) website that does not mention an upgradability option. I could guess I can use PC Wizard to find out who makes the motherboard and than do some detective work but is there another easier way. thanks :rolleyes:

NYJimbo
07-31-2008, 08:05 PM
What I do is keep a list of known laptop part companies that keep lists of processor/laptops and then just do a quick view to see what procs they offer for that model and then determine the fastest of that group. Like at laptopking:

http://www.laptopking.com/kingcpulist.asp

You go down the brands to find your machine maker then check the descriptions to find the model you have and then note all the different procs. I then just select the fastest I can find in that list. Its not scientific but it makes pretty quick work if I see a big jump in cpu power from what the client has in the computer right now. Get a few lists like this and you can find the fastest one pretty quick.

Pc Fixed Right
07-31-2008, 08:44 PM
excellent smithers

gunslinger
08-01-2008, 12:47 AM
Interesting. Thats someithing I never do. Upgrading a laptop for me ends at maxing out the RAM and the HDD. Its always been my thought that if the laptop is so old that the CPU is whats lagging, its time for a new laptop.

08-01-2008, 01:45 AM
Its always been my thought that if the laptop is so old that the CPU is whats lagging, its time for a new laptop.

I tend to agree. Upgrading a laptop's cpu for a couple hundred MHz isn't going to do much of anything for the performance and is hardly worth the cost.
There area few laptops that you can upgrade the video card a little bit, and of course the ram, hdd, and optical drive can be worthwhile upgrades.

If a laptop is too slow max out the ram and if that's not good enough, find a 7200RPM hard drive to replace the 4200RPM oem drive that probably came with it. Those two things, in my opinion do WAY more for performance than a cpu.

Pc Fixed Right
08-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Agreed...I already told the customer that he is better off with a new/used laptop than to upgrade the cpu but he asked me to price it out.

gunslinger
08-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Yeah, the way I figure : maybe $100-120 for labor including a basic clean up/checkup. Plus the cost of the CPU itself. If the laptop is more than say two years old Its most likely not worth it. Not when you can buy a brand new system with twice the specs for less than the current system is worth.