PDA

View Full Version : Google directory gets pulled

COB
07-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Hi Guys,

I noticed that plug has been pulled on Google Directory (http://www.google.com/dirhp). Anybody know if this is likely to result in a marked change in a sites ranking? I know from reading around the whole SEO thing that many suggested that getting listed in DMOZ or another high quality directory was good for rankings. Does this mean that Google no longer values the role of the directory?

Cathal

Craven_Morehead
07-26-2011, 11:25 PM
I guess they really didn't see any value in it anymore and pulled the plug. Google doesn't like directories that are used for seo purposes. However, getting into DMOZ is good because of the age of that site; makes your site seem more credible to google.

Crgky127
07-27-2011, 05:00 AM
Was it like Google Places?

Craven_Morehead
07-27-2011, 05:14 AM
Was it like Google Places?

No, it's nothing like Google places. A directory categorizes websites into subjects. Google places is a business profile that shows up in search results, depending on the area of course.

Take a look at DMOZ to see what I'm talking about. To my knowledge, Google places wont give you a serp boost. Most people get into directories to get a backlink for seo that can help ranking. However, google places is still important, as potential customers might find you on it when searching Google with a local term, Example: Your city computer repair