PDA

View Full Version : Dell Bios update fries yet another motherboard

PaulRome
07-26-2011, 03:18 AM
Gentleman brought in his laptop a dell studio 1557 (i7) said the dell support agent prompted him to update his bios so he did and now his machine is dead, powers up, lights on the keyboard turn on but thats it.

Seems like this is actually a almost common issue with these dell studio's. And since his warranty has expired Dell wants to charge him a pretty penny to fix it.

Told him I would charge him cost on the parts and quoted him a price on the install. Said he was going to hassle Dell for a bit and would get back to me.

What I don't get is how Dell can think that this fix is not their responsibility?

Thanks

silvano
07-26-2011, 05:17 AM
Gentleman brought in his laptop a dell studio 1557 (i7) said the dell support agent prompted him to update his bios so he did and now his machine is dead, powers up, lights on the keyboard turn on but thats it.

Seems like this is actually a almost common issue with these dell studio's. And since his warranty has expired Dell wants to charge him a pretty penny to fix it.

Told him I would charge him cost on the parts and quoted him a price on the install. Said he was going to hassle Dell for a bit and would get back to me.

What I don't get is how Dell can think that this fix is not their responsibility?

Thanks Did you ask whether he was plugged in while the bios was updating? Did he hard power it during the update because it was taking too long? I've only seen a few bios flashes gone bad in the past, and they were related to not following directions or being impatient on the users part. Then again, if it's a common issue, maybe Dell's flash procedure or BIOS files are bad.

johnrobert
07-26-2011, 07:10 PM
This is why I hate flashing the bios on a laptop
the finger points at me

Tekguy
07-26-2011, 11:22 PM
When you say "Dell support agent", are you talking about the software running on his pc? I can't imagine a Dell updater prompting for a bios flash.

joydivision
07-30-2011, 01:05 AM
This is why I hate flashing the bios on a laptop
the finger points at me

Same here, I will never do it unless it is the only cure for a certain problem, e.g a BSOD. And if I do it I explain very clearly there is a small chance it will wreck the laptop.

Same when I flash routes, I always explain the risk although they are pennies anyway.

SmithFamilyDesigns
07-30-2011, 04:26 AM
I suppose I take the opposite approach. I will flash a bios on ANYTHING! Fw, bios, router, desktop, laptop, phone, heck I'd probably update a bios/fw for a toaster if it had it.

That being said, I am also fairly (read: very) knowledeable with bios recovery procedures. I always backup the bios to an external device, I always check md5 sums, and I always flash from dos. I have done a fair share of bios modifications in my day (whitelist wifi cards, unlocking multipliers, etc), but I've also done 10's if not over 100 bios recoveries, some as practice, some when I screw up.

If you're not comfortable with it, don't do it. But it is a fairly safe procedure now a days, but much safer from dos as it eliminates av, rootkit and other interferences.

PaulRome
07-30-2011, 04:42 AM
When you say "Dell support agent", are you talking about the software running on his pc? I can't imagine a Dell updater prompting for a bios flash.

That's what the person said. Does seem to be an issue with the Studio series by all the posts at Dells forum. Talked to him yesterday said he was going to just write this comp off and buy a new one.

johnrobert
07-30-2011, 05:31 AM
Good job there cheap I was in Walmark yesterday
they had a Dell inspiron 15.6 for $349

MobileTechie
07-30-2011, 08:50 AM
If it's not recoverable using s/w then you can solder in a new bios chip usually.

erb
07-30-2011, 01:01 PM
That's what the person said. Does seem to be an issue with the Studio series by all the posts at Dells forum. Talked to him yesterday said he was going to just write this comp off and buy a new one.

Ask him if you can recycle his old one for him. He's going to write off a Core i7? I'll buy that thing if he thinks it is trash :)

Cornerstone Technologies
07-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Good job there cheap I was in Wal-mart yesterday
they had a Dell inspiron 15.6 for $349

Thats not exactly a good deal when you consider that much of what Wal-Mart has in the way of laptops is built very cheaply. Not exactly the best quality when looking for a replacement, plus I didnt see anything there that was better than an i3 or Dual Core Athlon. Absolute junk.

MasonComputers
08-03-2011, 02:02 PM
I have worked with hundreds of Dell laptops and PC's and done countless BIOS updates and never had an issue.

the only way is if the user disrupted the update by being impatient or left it updating with just the battery and it went dead, i have seen this happen plenty of times with windows updates when they are installing them while shutting down that they dont leave the charger in or just close the lid and then they wonder why the computer doesnt work next time they boot.

Stu
08-08-2011, 11:21 AM
I had one of these in recently caused by an impatient customer. None of the Dell BIOS recovery procedures I found worked so it was a new motherboard in the end. I made sure I flashed it to the latest BIOS before handing it back in case the customer decided to try again. Probably would have been an idea to password protect the BIOS as well :D