PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a Traders license?

IronSerif
07-25-2011, 03:05 AM
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't see it when I searched:

If I wanted to resell software programs (Carbonite, AVG, etc), would I need to obtain a Traders license from my state? I think I remember someone had told me in the past that a traders license was only needed if you kept stock/inventory.

I tried calling my states permit office on Friday but sat on hold for 10 minutes with no answer...

Thanks in advance!

ATTech
07-25-2011, 03:11 AM
Might help to know which state...

IronSerif
07-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Might help to know which state...

Sorry about that...Maryland.

Thanks!

rapidcom
07-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Best suggestion I have is to contact the Clerk of the Circuit Court in the county in which your business will be located to determine if a specific license is required. Laws are different in MD than in FL so I cannot provide state specific laws.

IronSerif
07-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Best suggestion I have is to contact the Clerk of the Circuit Court in the county in which your business will be located to determine if a specific license is required. Laws are different in MD than in FL so I cannot provide state specific laws.

Thanks. I'm going to contact them again today. Hopefully I'll get an answer this time (won't be surprised if I don't!)

IronSerif
07-25-2011, 02:42 PM
3 calls, 1 hang up, and 15 minutes later, I was able to speak to somebody. Since I won't be keeping a physical inventory on hand, I do not need any vendors or traders license to resell software products. I do however need to charge sales tax...