PDA

View Full Version : Dell E1705 LCD Issue

Pc Fixed Right
07-31-2008, 12:33 AM
Received a Dell E1705 laptop today. I just want to make sure I am diagnosing this correctly. The laptop displays an image when hooked to an external monitor. The laptop does not display an image on its LCD. I diagnose it as a bad inverter as I cannot even see an image at all on the screen. Its either that or the back light. :confused: How can I tell which it is? thank you

07-31-2008, 12:40 AM
First off, is it no image or is the backlight out? If you look closely, you should be able to see an image, if the backlight is out.
If you can see a faint image, you can do a couple of things to check the inverter or backlight, if you have the parts. To check the inverter, you can plug in a test backlight from another lcd, or use a multimeter to see if you get any power.
To check the backlight, you can use another laptop's inverter (using that laptop to power it) to try to power the inverter.

If you don't want to use another laptop's parts (it is a big hassle) you can pick up one of those internal light mods and modify it to be a backlight tester.

If you don't see a faint image at all, it could be a bad cable, it could be a bad video card, it could be a bad lcd panel.

Pc Fixed Right
07-31-2008, 01:21 AM
[QUOTE=14049752;15558]First off, is it no image or is the backlight out? If you look closely, you should be able to see an image, if the backlight is out.
/QUOTE]

I turned all the lights off in the room to see if I could see even the faintest image. I do not see anything on the screen.

If it was the video card would the external monitor still work? I would imagine probably not but my imagnination is crazy. :D

I will do what you said 10449752 (name?) and lets see what happens.

thanks again

07-31-2008, 01:31 AM
I turned all the lights off in the room to see if I could see even the faintest image. I do not see anything on the screen.

You won't be able to see anything with the lights off! :D
With lights on, see if you can see a faint image. Basically...think of the LCD like this: The LCD itself is a piece of film. With light behind it, you can see the image of what's on the film.....in the dark..well, you can't see anything.
If you take the the LCD panel out of the plastic bezel and case, you can hold a flashlight up to the back up of it and you should be able to see an image if the backlight is out.

It's not impossible for the video card to fail and still output video to the external monitor. I've had it happen a couple of times, though it is rare.

Pc Fixed Right
07-31-2008, 02:09 AM
touche sir my brain malfunctioned lol if the backlight is out how could I possibly see anythign in the dark rofl literally

Pc Fixed Right
08-06-2008, 08:19 PM
It turned out to be the Inverter, problem solved. Thanks Guys =)