PDA

View Full Version : How do I figure out who is managing mail for a Domain?

GreenCycleComputers
07-20-2011, 02:06 PM
So I have this business user that I've sold a bunch of equipment to and done a lot of work for. I'm trying to convince him to move his email and other stuff over to Google Apps. The problem I'm running into is I have no idea who manages his domain email presently. He has a website that is managed by another company but we don't know if they take care of his email as well. He also has a hotmail account that he uses and its possible his domain email is managed there as well (do they do that?) because he claims he uses the hotmail webpage and chooses which email to use to respond with.

cmonova
07-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Put his url in here: http://www.mxtoolbox.com/ and it might give you a clue. or if you can login where he bought the domain name at and look at the control panel and see from there.

GreenCycleComputers
07-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Already tried that site and it gave me the servers but I have no idea who owns them. Logging into the control panel is a no go either. He is about the most computer illiterate person you could possibly find. He would have no clue where to login and with what passwords/accounts etc. I'm trying to get him to go to the company that manages his website and find out but its problematic. I was hoping for something easier.

RichmondTech
07-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Hopefully they have decent financial records and they can see who they've been paying. If they have a custom domain (your.com) then they're paying someone for the domain and more than likely the same company for email hosting.

teksquad
07-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Who is the domain parked with? Typically if someone else is hosting their site then most of the time they have dns control for that domain. For example if their domain is parked with godaddy, and you can access that account and you see "DNS not hosted here" then you know someone else had dns control. If you have the ip address from the mx lookup do an ARIN search for that ip address. It may give another clue where to look. Another way is to do a whois for said domain and look and see who the admin contact and technical contact is. Let me know if you need assistance with the Google Apps piece as I am migrating our company over with about 900 users.