PDA

View Full Version : [Want To Buy] ECS NFORCE2-M motherboard

pceinc
07-18-2011, 07:29 PM
I am in search of an ECS NFORCE2-M motherboard. Substitutes are not an option due to the proprietary nature of the equipment the motherboard will be installed into. Please send a PM if you have one or know of a source to get one.

Thanks,
Walt

Cornerstone Technologies
07-20-2011, 02:24 AM
For giggles, I got ahold of a vendor that often has older boards and general off the wall stuff when I am in a pinch. Nothing for this model. A Google search indicates that there were discussions about this model from 2004 with failed capacitors. Even if it is not an option, I think having a plan B in this case might be good planning.

pceinc
07-20-2011, 01:45 PM
For giggles, I got ahold of a vendor that often has older boards and general off the wall stuff when I am in a pinch. Nothing for this model. A Google search indicates that there were discussions about this model from 2004 with failed capacitors. Even if it is not an option, I think having a plan B in this case might be good planning.

Thanks. The board is in a video poker machine. It's packed in real tight. It would be pure luck if I could find a suitable board to fit the space. Plus it has linux distro and some proprietary cards for the controls. Not sure about changing chipsets. The manufacturer wants $275. Thought I would check other sources before the client spends that kind of money on a board that originally cost $50 new.

Cornerstone Technologies
07-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks. The board is in a video poker machine. It's packed in real tight. It would be pure luck if I could find a suitable board to fit the space. Plus it has linux distro and some proprietary cards for the controls. Not sure about changing chipsets. The manufacturer wants $275. Thought I would check other sources before the client spends that kind of money on a board that originally cost $50 new.

Well you may still have options. Linux is pretty good about handling change to different but similar hardware. Knowing what distro would help. Since the machine was proprietary, chances are its a custom Red Had install. I would play around with it. Maybe make a clone of the disk and try a different board you may have laying around.

I wish I had a challenge like this, it could be fun!