PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a simple way to track PCs in shop

BigMac
07-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Hi all,

I am looking for a very simple way to check in/check out computers in the shop for tracking purposes. Basically all I want is to put a monitor in the tech area that lists all the check in computers with the customers name, phone number, type of machine, and how long it has been checked in. I realize some of the software developed by a few of the board members can do this but I want something solely for tracking. I would love to take advantage of my bar code reader to check them in and out. I could simply use one of the bar codes already on the PC (such as the Dell Service Tag) or make my own. I want it super simple; scan the barcode to check it in then scan the barcode to check it out. I use QuickBooks to do all of my invoices/receipts/CRM and like it so I don't really want to switch.

I know some programming but feel not enough for this task. Could this be done in Access or something similar? How involved would this be? Is there something like this already available? Web based would also work. Maybe you have a suggestion of a better way of doing this? Would love to hear any input.

Thanks!

16k_zx81
07-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Well I don't know about 'super simple', but you could definitely use PCRT for checkins/outs and barcodes

http://www.pcrepairtracker.com

Probably a bit more involved than what you're looking for though?

mkeathley
07-15-2011, 02:58 PM
PCRT is pretty simple and does exactly what you are looking for. And it only cost $125 if you go through ACRBO and use thier discount. Its simpel to setup and easy easy to use. I love it. it made us so much mroe efficient we could afford to hire another Tech...

PBComputer
07-15-2011, 07:05 PM
best option would be to go from PCRT, we only use it for job tracking, but are planning on taking full advantage of all it's functions

BigMac
07-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. PCRT has came a long way since first introduced. Didn't realize how many things have been added. Will definitely look into it.

JonnyRT
07-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Hi BigMac

I have sent you a PM about a guy who is building something for me that is very similar to what you want. Its just a really simple application to track computers, customers etc as I found everything else out there too detailed for my basic needs.

Martyn
07-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Thank you for the suggestions. PCRT has came a long way since first introduced. Didn't realize how many things have been added. Will definitely look into it.

New features are added virtually every month in the update. :)

pceinc
07-16-2011, 02:53 PM
NewWayService is what we use. This is our process.
Customer comes in. If new customer we add them to database. Scan PC serial, if no serial we assign one. Take customer's description of issues needing repair. Print label with barcode and customer name and number using Dymo label. Stick it to the PC and put it in line.
If existing customer we scan our barcode and enter problem description.
Very fast and efficient.

The workorders in NWS are color coded by the status.
Our statuses are
Not Started - Red
In Progress - Green
Waiting Approval - Purple
Waiting Parts - Orange
Need to Invoice - Blue
Invoiced Waiting on Pickup - Black
Picked Up - Grey (Once a week we transfer to history)

We also use QB for invoicing but there is currently no transfer feature to QB.
The system does have web services so client can check status of repair online.

jeubank
07-17-2011, 07:08 AM
If you just want to check in / check out computers, tied to say a tech, through a bar code system / employee log-in.. I can program that for you in about a day. But I would probally charge about $350 for a custom development system I heard PC tracker is pretty good. cheaper than that route.

OR

You can wait for my system be online Tech Center / Customer Tech Center.. however, it is far more advanced, for a lot of other systems as well

iisjman07
07-17-2011, 08:37 AM
You could use one of the free templates that Microsoft make for Microsoft Access. You could use the Access Runtime and you wouldn't even need a license for Access (unless you want to edit the templates)

4ycr
07-17-2011, 08:28 PM
NewWayService is what we use. This is our process.
Customer comes in. If new customer we add them to database. Scan PC serial, if no serial we assign one. Take customer's description of issues needing repair. Print label with barcode and customer name and number using Dymo label. Stick it to the PC and put it in line.
If existing customer we scan our barcode and enter problem description.
Very fast and efficient.

The workorders in NWS are color coded by the status.
Our statuses are
Not Started - Red
In Progress - Green
Waiting Approval - Purple
Waiting Parts - Orange
Need to Invoice - Blue
Invoiced Waiting on Pickup - Black
Picked Up - Grey (Once a week we transfer to history)

We also use QB for invoicing but there is currently no transfer feature to QB.
The system does have web services so client can check status of repair online.

I also have a very similar process using newwayservice

FCONE
07-21-2011, 04:46 PM
99% of our work is onsite so we are not dealing with a ton of hardware in the office but we have an Exchange public contacts list where the company is the asset tag/svctag/serial of the PC. This allows techs to update as they work on hardware.

iisjman07
07-21-2011, 05:46 PM
You could also use www.myitcrm.com