PDA

View Full Version : W97M.Thus.A. Virus - need help

jofish
07-26-2008, 10:15 PM
hi all,
have some weird stuff going on, and have several questions:
Discovered I have W97M.Thus.A. Virus - so followed the instructions I found here (sorry can't yet post url - so may this is enough to interpret) outlandishjosh com/wp/index.php?p=861 except I was doing it from memory as I was on a train traveling home, so I didn't delete the normal template. What I had done was open the infected files, copied and then save in TextEdit files (not word) - I scanned these files with ClamXav and the scanned clean, so I am assuming these files should be okay. I then found the instructions, and so proceeded to put the normal template in the trash along with the originally detected infected files. i tried to clear trash, but it told me the normal template was open - so I went to quit my word program, and now it won't quit. Really strange - does anyone know why this happened?

CLAM Xav also dedected the following - 1) /Users/joAnne/Archives_old computer/JoAnne's Mac Archives/joAnne/MS Office 98/Templates/SCANPROT.DOT: WM.Hybrid.A FOUND
Can anybody tell me what this is and what to do with it? 2)/Users/joAnne/Archives_old computer/JoAnne's Mac Archives/joAnne/MS Office 98/Templates/Word Work File D 2: W97M.Thus.Gen FOUND - so have moved this to trash also.
3) /Users/joAnne/Archives_old computer/JoAnne's Mac Archives/joAnne/Outlook Express 5.02 Folder/Identities/Identity 1/Messages: Exploit.IFrame.Gen FOUND - anybosy know how I can find this one? I don't have an identity's folder - and the only think I found was "switch identities"
4)/Users/joAnne/desktop_backup/mail back-up /POP-jf015u6679_2@pop3.blueyonder.co.uk/INBOX.mbox/mbox: Email.Phishing.RB-2443 FOUND
The above file looks like it may be part of an email mailbox, please think carefully about what to do with this file. If it has been quarantined, you may end up losing some email. I suggest you leave this file where it is (or move it back if it's been quarantined) and delete suspicious messages from within your email client.

NOT AT ALL SHURE HOW TO FIND OR DEAL WITH THIS.

I also moved the above files (with the exception of 4) to the trash so not sure if this has something to do with why I can't quit word?

WOULD BE GRATEFUL IF ANYONE CAN GIVE ME SOME DIRECTION AND ADVICE WITH ANY OF THIS....

Thanks
Jofish

Wheelie
08-02-2008, 06:15 PM
I thought Macs didn't get viruses! ... har har ... :p

Empty your trash completely and force a reboot and scan again and let us know what it finds.

NWPhotog
08-02-2008, 08:06 PM
I would think the best course of action would be to find a qualified Mac tech in your area to resolve the issue. I am sure we can help you find one.