PDA

View Full Version : CPanel?

DetroitTechComputer
07-13-2011, 12:07 AM
I just obtained a domain and hosting for my company. I'm very confused with cpanel. I downloaded a template and cannot figure out how to put it on my site. Also, I can't figure out how to launch the site. Thanks for any help. If you could point me to an idiots guide or something I'd appreciate it.

dogskool
07-13-2011, 02:43 AM
If you are dealing with a html template, you would need to ftp it with something like Filezilla.

What kind of template are you using?

Carl
07-13-2011, 02:55 AM
cPanel is your sites control panel (My personal favorite, and the best available in my opinion after trying Helm and Plesk although both of them are nice). It is used to add new e-mail addresses, setup domain pointers, manage databases and the like. You can use it to upload files instead of using FTP as it has a built in file manager/editor.

With the "Fantastico" option you can click and instantly install Blogs, CMS, message boards and a lot of other nice features.

http://cpanel.net/products/cpanelwhm/
(Some versions have flash movies built in to help you out)

First is to make sure that your main page is named index.html (or index.php)
Second thing would be to upload your site into the Public_html directory (Depending on how your hosting company has it set up, it may default to there).

Your should be able to see your site when you type the URL into the browser.

Note - if it is a brand new domain it could take 24 hrs for it to resolve and be fully accessible to everybody (usually, though this is instant/relatively instant)

16k_zx81
07-13-2011, 05:37 AM
Have fixed this for him via Gtalk. CPanel ok but looks like the hosting is not properly active yet.

DetroitTechComputer
07-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the help everyone :D