PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for Remote Software?

cuba1902
07-24-2008, 07:29 PM
I have been comparing all kinds of remote software out there. Can anyone with experience using remote software to repair their clients computers offer some suggestions on which to use verses cost.

Thank you in advance

JRDtechnet
07-24-2008, 07:55 PM
http://www.uvnc.com/index.html
or this
http://www.uvnc.com/pchelpware/

Both work decent with Vista the client has to click Ok when UAC pops up. Although it would seem the newer version of Single Click (the first link) has solved this problem...haven't tried it yet though.

cuba1902
07-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks JRDtechnet I will look into it

cmonova
07-24-2008, 10:47 PM
This document covers alot of the remote software/hardware options:

http://computerrepairbusiness.net/remoteoverview.html

ootuoyetahi
07-25-2008, 03:49 AM
ultra vnc singleclick

Prune
07-25-2008, 09:57 AM
I use a Bomgar B100. The only problem with this device is the upfront cost. Aside from that I really like it. It works with all flavours of Windows, Linux, Mac and even mobile devices. When working with Vista you can request 'elevation of privileges'. When the customer OKs this, you will not be bothered by UAC prompts again. Another feature I like is that you can 'request automatic logon credentials' so if you know you wil need to restart during the session, you wont need the customer there to enter thier password to let you back in. Finally, the box records and logs all of the support sessions to an internal hard drive. You can watch back a video of what you did. I have found this to be very useful when writing the job up which sometimes happens some days later by which time I cant remember exactly what was done.

Azz
07-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Funny enough I had a cold call the other day from NTRSupport. I am running a trial with them at the moment.

I did use UVNC single click, which was fine for XP but too slow on Vista.

NTRSupport is quite good, at a cost though. It has chat support so you can have customers chat online etc. Only been using it for a few days...

cmonova
07-25-2008, 08:46 PM
If you price NTR over a 3 year period against something like the Bomgar the Bomgar will win in price. I looked at NTR myself but the Bomgar gave me more functions to include a webex capability, etc.

chel_in_il
07-26-2008, 04:17 PM
I use LogMeIn.. I have the client install the free version on their PC for me... I've had a LogMeIn Pro account for over a year, have 5 paid versions used (can reboot into safe mode w/networking, etc.), and have Free installed on about 25 more PCs.

e2346437
07-26-2008, 04:58 PM
ShowMyPC
http://www.showmypc.com

Free service, I just download their newest .exe (same for client and viewer) and place it on my website. Client clicks the button and runs it from the website, reads me their password and I'm in.

Doesn't run in the background though, you need your customer to run the .exe if you want to get in. They have other versions for $ but I've never needed them.

Eric

chronage
07-27-2008, 06:12 PM
LogMeIn, as recommended by half of the IT world it seems!

chumby
07-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Logmein Remote.... Yes, costs, but works fantastic and looks very professional

tauzin23
07-31-2008, 02:07 AM
Bomgar B100 - Upfront costs... but cheaper in the long run.

tartis
07-31-2008, 02:29 PM
I see that there are many differnt versions of LogMeIn. Which one will work if I am just a one man show and need to have remote support only a few times per month? I currenty use Crossloop, but it is lacking some features. I would like to be able to boot in Safe Mode, etc...

TimeCode
07-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Bomgar B100 - Upfront costs... but cheaper in the long run.

I have used LogMeIn Free but I currently use CrossLoop. Home clients like the fact that I can't just waltz into their systems at any time. I use Remote Desktop to log into Windows Servers all the time.

I've seen the Bomgar systems advertised but I've never seen them in action. How exactly do they work?

cmonova
08-02-2008, 05:00 AM
I have used LogMeIn Free but I currently use CrossLoop. Home clients like the fact that I can't just waltz into their systems at any time. I use Remote Desktop to log into Windows Servers all the time.

I've seen the Bomgar systems advertised but I've never seen them in action. How exactly do they work?

Have a document I did up on the Bomgar and remote support here:
http://www.computerrepairbusiness.net/remoteoverview.html

techoftheday
08-27-2008, 01:58 PM
I'm using Techinline Remote Desktop (www.techinline.com). Unlike most of the services mentioned above, it is reasonably priced at $30 a month for unlimited use, and they also have a "pay as you go plan" which most other services lack. I think for a small business such as mine it is more than enough since it is easy to use and requires absolutely no installation on either end since it is browser based. The only limitation I see is the lack of an automatic reboot

techoftheday
08-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Anybody else with any good alternatives?

eric76
01-24-2009, 04:22 AM
I have used Log Me In, Crossloop, and Team Viewer 4. I must say that Team Viewer is the best for me. You can re-start into safe mode and transfer files.

Dr Mike
01-29-2009, 02:54 AM
HelpDesk VNC

website www_helpdeskvnc_com (replace _ with . - less than 15 posts.....)

We have used this software for 5+ years - works great with XP or Vista - reboots into SAFE mode.

One time license is inexpensive - a couple of sessions and it's paid for.

ijunkie
01-29-2009, 05:38 PM
HelpDesk VNC

website www_helpdeskvnc_com (replace _ with . - less than 15 posts.....)

We have used this software for 5+ years - works great with XP or Vista - reboots into SAFE mode.

One time license is inexpensive - a couple of sessions and it's paid for.

Any way to use this to connect automatically? I need something to do monthly support with, so that the client doesn't have to do anything. thanks

jaydude23
01-30-2009, 02:17 AM
Logmein... does everything I need.

Dr Mike
01-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Any way to use this to connect automatically? I need something to do monthly support with, so that the client doesn't have to do anything. thanks
No. the client has to launch the application - after your session is completed, the program is removed from the client computer.

Fireddog
02-01-2009, 06:41 PM
One that is truly free and works in normal mode with both Vista and xp.
is Actually using Windows Live messenger. I did this about 8 months ago with a client who was having issues with A webcam. I fixed the issues on his machine but his daughter's pc that he was trying to communicate with was still having issues. They did use live messenger and I had her allow me control and was able to determine the problem in 2 minutes and fix it. It actually worked smoothly.

solas
02-02-2009, 01:32 AM
i use Dualdesk, It gives me full ad-hoc remote support help desk services, transfer files, chat, re-boot & auto-reconnect and control a remote system in real-time without pre-installing software on the remote computer even in "Safe Mode". im very happy with the software. :)

AtYourService
03-01-2009, 07:22 AM
uvnc and teamviewer the only problems with vista is UAC popping up
anyone know any ways around it besides having the customer pressing the ok button while you disable UAC the first time?

Afford-A-Tech
03-06-2009, 08:06 PM
i use teamviewer, i stopped using uvnc due to uac issue

mygeek
03-11-2009, 12:13 AM
I use EchoVNC along with InstantVNC. Both are free unless you want to buy your own server.

It's all 128bit AES encrypted (SSL libraries). It works well on Vista and XP. The server can run on Linux or Windows.

The client (InstantVNC) is customizable, meaning you can change the wording and the logo.

Overall it does everything that I need it to except reboot into safemode.

www_echogent_com

cazwell220
03-11-2009, 12:29 AM
I'm going to have to go with Teamviewer 4 too... It's portable, you can log into safe mode with it, you can transfer files with it.. you can use a hamachi like vpn, you can switch screens, hold presentations, memory usage is very low.

Impressive all the way around.

Azz
03-11-2009, 12:38 AM
I use EchoVNC along with InstantVNC. Both are free unless you want to buy your own server.

It's all 128bit AES encrypted (SSL libraries). It works well on Vista and XP. The server can run on Linux or Windows.

The client (InstantVNC) is customizable, meaning you can change the wording and the logo.

Overall it does everything that I need it to except reboot into safemode.

www_echogent_com

Looks good, can't see how you customize it though.

Aaron

Azz
03-11-2009, 12:42 AM
I'm going to have to go with Teamviewer 4 too... It's portable, you can log into safe mode with it, you can transfer files with it.. you can use a hamachi like vpn, you can switch screens, hold presentations, memory usage is very low.

Impressive all the way around.

Its quite expspensive isnt it?

Aaron

PatrickB
03-11-2009, 01:35 AM
@AtYourService,

To get a handle on Vista's UAC, install the replacement UAC interface from http://www.nortonlabs.com/. It allows you to permanently OK a warning for any particular software -- and gives you a little more information than the default UAC pop-ups.

@Timecode,

Clients have full control over LogMeIn. They can right-click the systray icon and disable it. It will stay disabled until they right-click and enable it. Also, by default, the local keyboard and mouse take precedence over the remote connection -- so customers can take charge any time they wish to.

-- Patrick B.

ProTech Support
03-11-2009, 01:37 AM
BRYCE , wherever you are.....somebody needs to sticky one of these threads one day. How many have we seen in the past month about remote support lol

mygeek
03-11-2009, 01:45 AM
Looks good, can't see how you customize it though.

Aaron

Once you download the InstantVNC executable, hold down Shift on your keyboard while double clicking it. It will open up a different interface for it where you can customize it.

ProTech Support
06-09-2009, 07:44 PM
I use UltraVNC and UltraVNC SC. I used to use Crossploop, but no more. I do wish that UltraVNC / UltraVNC SC supportted safe mode. Anyone know how to get it to do this? I'd like to have a way to login, set it to reboot into safe mode, connect to me, let me do my work, then when I reboot it, I can choose to have it reboot into normal or safe mode once more.

You are just bringing all these dead threads alive huh, the starting date of this one was in 2008 :p

ProTech Support
06-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Yea, I wish I had the answer to that...that would be pretty useful. You don't have any issues connecting to Vista machines concerning lag? I run into that ALL the time.

ProTech Support
06-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Yea, I definitley was going to run some tests with diffrent lines to see what is going on. I have 2 internet lines running in the shop, so I am going to try to switch over and see if I have any diffrence.

And thanks for the Vista SC, didn't even know they had one. I am definitley going to set that puppy up. I will let you know how it goes.

ProTech Support
06-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Hopefully it will straighten out my issue, like I said I love the program it just runs so damn slow with Vista. But obviously the issue has something to do with my end of things, some tests should verify that.

I am absolutley fine with having 2 versions (one for Vista, one for other OS's) as long as it has some improvment.

Ostrava
06-18-2009, 09:32 PM
What about PCAnywhere from Symantec?

PatrickB
06-18-2009, 09:57 PM
That works great when you do not have a RAS server on the network or Internet connectivity. I use it as a backup for one of my customers to gain access to a workstation on their network. For security, they leave it turned off unless I request that they run pcAnywhere. If their Internet connection is down, I still have a remote way in.

-- Patrick B.

mikcanavan
06-20-2009, 01:17 AM
We've been using Bomgar for over 2 years now. We started off renting a license on one of THEIR appliance servers, which was the cheapest way to go until the beginning of this year. As this service is no longer available - we got our own Bomgar B100 appliance box, which is great.

It has simple customisable client side pages - see support.fivenines.co.uk - this is actually the appliance (most likely nobody online at this time!). The best bit is the ability to "pin" clients once connected, so that you can simply connect back at any time - which is good for problematic machines / users! Other nice features are : ability to connecting into Windows Mobile, Blackberry and Mac / 'in-screen' shortcuts to control panel / direct access to command prompt without bring it up on client side / recordable system stats / presentation mode to show the client YOUR screen / recordable sessions, which you or the client can download and play back... and much more.

You should really consider this solution, even thought there is an initial outlay in $$ it definitely pays its self off in saved trips for one-click-fixes, fuel, ability to work on several machines at once etc.

Good luck in your hunt - let us know how you get on.

cmonova
06-20-2009, 01:43 AM
With the new version 10.3 I really like the "click to chat" and the "canned scripts" you can run...Very very nice addition to Bomgar.

kremo5le
06-20-2009, 10:15 PM
I have been comparing all kinds of remote software out there. Can anyone with experience using remote software to repair their clients computers offer some suggestions on which to use verses cost.

Thank you in advance

Hey there,

You will definitely thank me for this:

Use Mikogo (http://mikogo.com) for your remote assistance. It is the best out there. I have used it for over 6 months for all kinds of reasons, and it is amazing how reliable it is. Just go and visit the website...

You are welcome! :)

k.

seedubya
06-20-2009, 11:30 PM
I have to say Mikogo, while a nice tool, doesn't seem particularly suited as a remote support application. I won't go on about all the other tools there are, there are already way too many posts. I suggest you read some of them, try the tools and compare for your own enlightenment.

john_pc
06-26-2009, 01:56 AM
I like Timbuktu for remote control. Wish they had a version for Vista. Not free though.

DoctorPC
06-26-2009, 05:56 PM
I use Instant House Call

mmanna
06-27-2009, 07:40 PM
I just started using Citrix GoToAssist Express.

Prior to that, I used UVNC-SC for a couple years, then switched to PC-Helpware. Due to many vista/uac issues with PC-Helpware, I went back to UVNC-SC and spent practically an entire weekend reading all the threads on making it work with Vista and compiling my new helpdesk client. The end result was that it worked fine on XP just like the previous versions, but still lots of issues with Vista. It seemed as though half of the time, the client would run the program and it just wouldn't open. No prompts, no errors, no connection, no nothing. It would show up in task manager, but nothing more. Considering that I do an average of 4 remote support sessions per day, I was wasting about 15 minutes per call screwing around with uvnc-sc for a total of about 1 hour in lost productivity every day. It just wasn't worth it anymore.

I was a beta participant when Citrix was working on GoToAssist Express and found it worked extremely well, and in the week or so that I've been using the paid version now, I already feel it's a worthwhile expense because of the time I've saved. It's been 100% reliable, worked with XP and Vista with no problems. It works with dual monitor setups too. I can even restart a customer's computer and continue working (even in safe mode). They gave their beta participants 30% off, so my price works out to just under $50/mo. I think the regular price is closer to $70, but they also offer a nice discount if you pre-pay for a year.

I've always been a huge fan of free software, and I can't believe I'm paying so much for remote support software, but it really is that good! Now that we have a reliable tool that also lets us work in safe mode, we're hoping to increase the amount of remote support we do and decrease time on the road and travel expenses.

Mendel Scherer
06-27-2009, 07:51 PM
The tools I Use work on both xp and vista

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx
http://www.showmypc.com/

I like the teamviewer as I can create my own "Quick Support" logo

Mendel

kdyer
08-12-2009, 09:47 PM
We have had many issues with VNC Server internally and I love RoyalTS for RDP Sessions into servers. I have used CrossLoop and Logmein. I would say Logmein is better (IMHO). One of the things that I love about RoyalTS is that enables drive mappings and clipboard without having to go in to a Citrix session or having to fiddle with Terminal Server Settings. RoyalTS used to be free, but is now shareware (worth it in my opinion).

code4ward.net/main/ (< than 15 posts, sorry)

Thanks,

Kent

BAB
03-19-2011, 05:08 AM
Looks pretty nice(showmypc.com) and they seem to offer lots of other products. Has anybody tried their Hosted Ticket System product it says free for Business Plan? May have to see what that's all about.

Ccomp5950
03-19-2011, 09:27 AM
I made my own VNC installer that using zip.sfx and just have a batch file in it that autoconnects to my office. I have my office in "listen" mode and after they run it from my website and click "next" and "allow" it pops up on my screen.

danman10
03-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Having tried most of the vnc options I have found Chunkvnc (http://www.chunkvnc.com) the best one for me, easy to customize supports safe mod, disables UAC etc

MobileGeeks
03-29-2011, 01:02 AM
I have been using Team viewer for many years as the main phone support tool.

Logme in Free is good for servers/desktops for after hours work.

Thanks,

MobileGeeks

Computer Repairs (http://www.mobilegeeks.com.au)

techguy90
03-31-2011, 08:36 PM
I have tried a number of different remote support apps and I ended up deciding to use Team Viewer. The reason I decided on that one was that it seemed to be the easiest for my customers to get setup; which was one of the most important things for me. Also the Team Viewer Manager is really nice.

art vandelay
04-26-2011, 01:58 PM
I tried many too, and ended up with Teamviewer. The license isn't too expensivem their support is pretty good. I've use version 5 business edtion for 1.5 years for that one off cost - pretty good value I think.
Cheer
Art

jeffcoffman
04-26-2011, 03:24 PM
We've used Dameware here at the office, it's domain oriented (we have about 3,000 computers in ours). Since our domain is state-wide it's handy to be able to remote in somewhere and give assistance. File transfer in both directions is very handy, and it can be installed remotely without user approval, though they will be notified. Unfortunately it can't restart in safe mode, which is a capability I would loooove to have.