PDA

View Full Version : change website design?

osho741
07-11-2011, 04:04 AM
My website which I am almost finnished editing is a flash website. A reader recomended that I stay away from flash as its not mobile friendly. So do you think I should scrap this one and do something html5 based? This will be the second template I've edited and it took a lot of time to do because I still don't really know what I'm doing which is why I'm using templates. The first one was the tech website builder one but I just am thinking that site template really doesn't cut it anymore and its too hard to add things like facebook and googles +1 I know I can pay somone to make me a proper site but funds are limited right now, so other thoughts, ideas etc?

The site is in my signature

Jeffreynya
07-11-2011, 04:49 AM
I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I would think a good ole HTML and CSS based site would be best Or WordPress and other varieties. Seems like google likes them better.

I would also get rid of the sound. No offense, but it makes me want to leave the site as soon as It loads

16k_zx81
07-11-2011, 04:56 AM
My website which I am almost finnished editing is a flash website. A reader recomended that I stay away from flash as its not mobile friendly. So do you think I should scrap this one and do something html5 based? This will be the second template I've edited and it took a lot of time to do because I still don't really know what I'm doing which is why I'm using templates. The first one was the tech website builder one but I just am thinking that site template really doesn't cut it anymore and its too hard to add things like facebook and googles +1 I know I can pay somone to make me a proper site but funds are limited right now, so other thoughts, ideas etc?

The site is in my signature

1. not mobile friendly = cost you money in lost customers
2. limited capacity for SEO = cost you money in lost customers

:: smartest move for you if computer repair is your source of income=new site

GeekPCSupport
07-11-2011, 06:20 AM
I agree. Having a website done completely in Flash is no good. If I was in your place I would use Wordpress and just customize a theme. You can get some really good themes at http://www.themeforest.net. They will run you around $20 - $35.

Also, an advantage to using Wordpress is that there are plugins you can get that will make your site mobile friendly.

Hopes this helps,

Guillermo

osho741
07-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Ok thanks, I'm looking into redoing it again

nXtGenPC
07-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Yeah I would agree, redo it because I am finding that a good chunk (about 25%) of people going onto my site, are going on it from a mobile browser, I am working up a mobile version of my site too (something you might want to look into as well)

Xander
07-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Unless I need to be on a site, I close every site that forces its sounds on me. I am not part of the MySpace generation.