PDA

View Full Version : Sbs2011 Exchange problems


cyabro
07-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Hey. I've just installed a new server at our shop as the old sbs2003 box Eason it's last legs.
This was a fresh install and not a migration.
Everything was going great until we started having issues with exchange.
Not sure why but most exchange services just stopped suddenly and wouldn't restart so I restarted the server and it took about 3 hours to get to the login screen!
Traced the problem to the exchange services and set them all to manual and now the server is starting ok again.
Now the problem is that most of the exchange services won't start or take hours to start.
There are lots of errors in the event log with the different exchange services, mad.exe, store.exe etc all having topology errors with msadaccess (or something like that, not in front of the server at the moment) error id 2114 every minute.
I found a few other people that have had similar issues and they fixed it by changing the dependonservice, for all exchange services, to include msexchangesa and delaying the starting of msexchangesa.
This hasn't worked for me and can't even start the services manually, which Microsoft say you can do in this situation.
It appears as though exchange does not have permission to access active directory but also checking the groups and permissions they all have the correct settings.
Ping and pingpath tests are good.
I've removed eset mail security but made no difference.

Not sure what else I can do apart from reinstalling sbs2011 and starting again!
Any ideas?

MobileTechie
07-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Have you done all the service packs, updates and rollups for it?

Have you tried running the best practice analyser?

I'm not too up on 2011 but about 50% of 2008 problems seem to be solved by updating every little thing - i.e. some things do not work properly out of the box until you do this.

cyabro
07-07-2011, 10:13 PM
I'll check but pretty sure it's all up to date.
Just heading to work now so I'll try the bpa.
Thanks.

cyabro
07-07-2011, 11:37 PM
OK so the server is totally up to date.
I ran the BPA and the only thing it finds is a warning about TCP/IP v6 being disabled and to enable it.
Well I checked and it is enabled.
I even unticked it from the network card, restarted the server, re-enabled it and restarted the server again.
I also ran the MS FixIts from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852, 5 of them, to enable TCP/IPv6 but BPA still saying it is disabled.

When I ping the server from a workstation I get a reply from a v6 address so it looks like it is enabled so not sure what the BPA is on about.

cyabro
07-08-2011, 12:38 AM
OK I've spent enough time on this now, going to format and install SBS2008 I think.
Don't want to go through this again!

krtechsolutions
07-08-2011, 01:31 PM
If ipv6 was enable when you installed the OS exchange wants to use ipv6, that is your issue

You need to find the ms fix for making ipv4 the primary ip scheme

Had this happen to a client

cyabro
07-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Yea I tried all the Microsoft fixes to make ipv6 enabled and the default over ipv4 however none worked.
Everywhere I looked it appeared as though ipv6 was enabled, network properties, system info, pings of the server from another workstation and pings of workstations from the server.

I spent a long night trying to sort it but had to give up in the end as we needed to get our email working.
I've now gone back to sbs2008 and it all seems to be working well so far.
If I get time and a decent spec machine I'll have another go with sbs2011 and see if the issue can be replicated.