PDA

View Full Version : windows vista sp1 black screen of death

computerdoc
07-04-2011, 06:12 PM
I did an update to a Vista system to service pack 1 because Logmein couldn't install due to the fact that windows installer stopped working.

After the update I got a black screen with just a mouse pointer. I powered down and restarted and it went into repair and suggested a system restore. However, this will take me back to where I started from.

How do I fix this problem?

kotarel
07-04-2011, 07:42 PM
I did an update to a Vista system to service pack 1 because Logmein couldn't install due to the fact that windows installer stopped working.

-What version of windows installer?
-Did you try to reinstall windows installer?
-Did you try to restart its service?
-Did you check event viewer?

After the update I got a black screen with just a mouse pointer.

-Did other windows service load? You should still have access to the process monitor technically.
-Does the station have an AV installed?
-Is the pc clean? Sometimes viruses can mess up updates it infected the kernel.

I powered down and restarted and it went into repair and suggested a system restore. However, this will take me back to where I started from.

How do I fix this problem?

We need more information/diagnostics.

computerdoc
07-04-2011, 10:52 PM
I went to sp1 because a message came up saying that the problem was probably due to missing updates. The only missing update was sp1 which failed and the system has now reverted to before sp1.

MSI version 4.0.6000.16386
I didn't try to reinstall the windows installer and I didn't try to restart its service. Most of the time was spent attempting to install sp1.

I can't check the event viewer because the customer has taken back the computer for a while.

It installed Malwarebytes with no problem. Malwarebytes found 1 rogue.multiple and I cleaned it away.

The system has AVG antivirus installed. I've seen some postings that it might need to be uninstalled before an attempt at sp1.

Everything else seemed to be working normally.

computerdoc
07-08-2011, 12:18 AM
I restarted the installer service (which is set to manual???) and installs work again.

I uninstalled AVG and all the windows updates through sp2 worked.

What generally starts the manual windows installer service.