PDA

View Full Version : Rule Changes

Bryce W
07-03-2011, 03:59 PM
In an effort to continually improve Technibble and make it more streamlined with better policy. We have updated and modified our rules a little. There are the changes:

No Spamming. This Includes:
When posting a response to a thread, it must add to the overall discussion value of the thread.
Posts which do not adhere to the boundaries of the thread posted in.
Flame Posts
If you spot a spam post, please report it by clicking the button which appears in the top right of every post. Please do not post that you reported the thread in the actual thread as it more than doubles the amount of work the moderators have to do.
The addition in red isnt quite a "rule" but rather a request. When someone reports a post it appears in a special moderator area in a list. We can click on the link, it takes us straight to the post, we choose the offending post, click "Delete as Spam" which deletes the post as well as ban's the offender as spam. Its all fairly streamlined.
However, when people post "Reported..." after the spam post. We then have to go back into that thread, choose the posts that say Reported and delete them being careful not to accidently ban them. The moderators and myself GREATLY appreciate people reporting posts, it just makes our jobs so much easier. So please dont stop reporting, but please do not post "reported" after the offending post.

Infraction System
We run on a "3 strikes and your out" system here on Technibble. If you break the rules you will be given a "strike". If you reach 3 strikes you will permanently banned from the forums.
Previously, the strikes would expire after 2 months. Now, the infractions do not expire. The reason for this is some users were taking advantage of this and break the rules racking up 2 infractions, behave for 2 months to lose an infraction, then break the rules again. This should stop that and I believe 3 strikes is still very fair.

Business to Business Work/Hiring and Buying & Selling
Technibble members like to hire other members for various tasks such as Coding/SEO/Graphics as well as Buy and Sell items with other members. Technibble cannot be held responsible for any business dealings between members. It is strictly between yourself and the other party and all risks are assumed by those parties only.
This rule has already been in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum for a long time but since many Computer Technicians are hiring eachother throughout the rest of the forum, the rule should also follow to the rest of the forum.

Like any website like eBay and Craigslist, there are risks when dealing with its fellow members. If people are outright scammers ("I have credit card dumps to sell") we will ban them. However, we cannot police, nor would want to, what work happens between members both on and off the site.
As you would with any site, do your homework, Google their name, do they have a contact number etc..

OldSchoolPC
07-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Sound fair to me. I always thought it odd that people would report a thread, and then make a post "reported". Doesn't help anybody, and created more work for the mods. This I know from being a mod on other forums. Of course, I have been guilty of doing that same thing on occasion. :o

Martyn
07-03-2011, 04:54 PM
I used to report and then post but I thought it would save the mods getting multiple emails with people reporting a post :o

Paul Rodgers
07-03-2011, 09:50 PM
This should be a global sticky.

TimJacobs
07-04-2011, 05:36 AM
I used to report and then post but I thought it would save the mods getting multiple emails with people reporting a post :o

Yes this does bring up a valid point. Isn't it more work for the mods if say 10 people report the same thread instead of 1 reporting it and then saying they reported it? That is only 2 to delete instead of say 10 right?

Just wondering....

Martyn
07-04-2011, 05:43 AM
Yes this does bring up a valid point. Isn't it more work for the mods if say 10 people report the same thread instead of 1 reporting it and then saying they reported it? That is only 2 to delete instead of say 10 right?

Just wondering....

I think they only would get an email for each report so I suppose they would just ignore them after acting on the initial one. Tbh it's easier just to report so i'll do that in future.

Bryce W
07-04-2011, 11:55 AM

Just wondering....
It actually appears as a forum thread to us. The first person to report it will create the thread and every other person to report it will create a reply to that thread.
Once a mod has dealt with the thread we close it so the next mod knows that it has already been dealt with. So it doesnt matter whether it was reported once or a thousand times making a thousand post thread, we just close the thread.

supaneko
07-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Has there been a change made to the auto-approval or the way comments are handled on the main website?

I noticed that my comments are no longer being auto-posted and now that a few days have passed, I still have no seen my comments appear.

Just curious (and wasn't sure if this was the appropriate place to ask, hope you mates don't mind). :)

Bryce W
07-17-2011, 01:35 AM
Has there been a change made to the auto-approval or the way comments are handled on the main website?

I noticed that my comments are no longer being auto-posted and now that a few days have passed, I still have no seen my comments appear.

Just curious (and wasn't sure if this was the appropriate place to ask, hope you mates don't mind). :)
No change has been made to the comments system on the main website. If your comments are not appearing it is most likely that you are triggering its anti-spam systems. Posting links will almost always require it to be approved. As of right now, there are no comments that need to be approved in the system.

supaneko
07-17-2011, 02:46 AM
Uh oh...well, the posts that I made didn't include any links and I've posted three comments that didn't show up. When I went back to try and post them again, the system told me that I had already posted that comment.

One thing I did do, I changed the name I was using to post replies.

supaneko
07-17-2011, 02:49 AM
And I just posted another comment (see below) and it wasn't posted either. :(

Becoming A Premium Service Dealer (http://www.technibble.com/becoming-a-premium-service-dealer/comment-page-1/#comment-37040)
You do have to be careful, of course but don't the signatures on the workorders help prevent this?

Not that it would be an issue. I have cleaned the internals of client PC's on numerous occasions without issue (other than an allergy attack!).

Now, as far as using guides...absolutely. For every service we provide, I have a "Scope of Work" documented and a checklist that our techs follow for EVERY appointment. Not only ensures that everything is done right but with the fields I have left for notes, it enables another tech to understand the details of each appointment in the event that a recall is made.

supaneko
07-18-2011, 02:01 AM
Just an update: when I switched my name back to the original name I posted under (Computer Repair Lansing), my comments appear instantly.

So...I'm guessing that the spam filter catches name changes, though, I'm concerned as to why my posts never showed up on your moderation list. :(

Thanks for checking into it, Bryce. I really appreciate it, mate. :)

ALSO: I am still being told by Wordpress (when trying to repost the comments that were not posted and apparently aren't showing in your moderation queue) that I "have already said that!"