PDA

View Full Version : Dell Inspiron won't connect to internet after SP1

Whiskey
06-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Hi guys,

Hoping someone out there has come across this problem before. Took a Dell Laptop in the other day and the internet connections on the wireless card and ethernet ports were working fine.

Updated to Service pack 1 and now neither will connect to the internet. A lot of the time the 2 screens with a ball icon comes up showing it connected but there is no access to the internet.

Device manager shows the wireless card and the ethernet card along with 8 entries for 6to4 adapter with yellow exclamation marks.

Ipconfig/all shows lots of tunnel adapter local area connection media disconnected settings but no settings for the network.

I can ping the router no problem but nothing outside of it.

I have updated the drivers on the ethernet card and the wireless card and tried disabling ipv6 in the tcp/ip settings and turned off the firewall on the laptop and still I can't get a connection.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Cheers,

John.

PC-Man
06-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Disable Ethernet card, Try WPA personal instead of AES or WPA2 on the wireless. Right click on the connected network and select properties.

Hope this helps.

Whiskey
06-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Hi PC Man,

Thanks for getting back to me. Will give that a go.

Just tried again with the cable connected to the ethernet port and I can ping www.google.com and it replys as normal. Network connection in system tray shows local only connection without the blue wheel symbol. The browser opens but claims it can't find a connection. Any more ideas anyone?

Cheers,

John

TLE
07-01-2011, 12:03 AM
What Security software is installed?
Have you checke the Host file?
Reset TCP\IP?
Rebuilt Winsock?

Whiskey
07-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for this. Tried the first suggestion to no avail I'm afraid. Just trying your suggestions TLE. Will get back to you in a minute.

Cheers,

John.

Whiskey
07-01-2011, 12:43 AM
TLE I can't thank you enough!!!!

Reset the tcp ip settings and bingo it's back on!

Thank you so, so much! I'm almost crying tears of joy.:)

Kind regards,

John.