PDA

View Full Version : Clicking on link of email in Outlook 2003 brings up Dell Jukebox driver install


computerdoc
06-28-2011, 06:53 PM
When I open an email such as one from L. L. Bean and I click on a link in the email to start shopping, a box comes up indicating a start of a Dell digital jukebox install.

I went through the install but it didn't prevent it from coming up again. I tried to rename the dell directory and related driver subdirectories but this did not change the behavior.

I don't have or want the digital jukebox stuff. How do I get rid of this and return Outlook to normal function?

The system is running XP pro sp3. Outlook 2003.

joydivision
06-28-2011, 07:11 PM
You need to fix the file association.

computerdoc
06-28-2011, 07:25 PM
What file type should change? I'm just clicking on a link within an HTML email.

kale76
06-28-2011, 08:07 PM
You should try Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. And remove the Dell Jukebox software from the list.

Here is the information about the software
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2008.08.utilityspotlight.aspx

And you can download it from here. I can't seem to find it on Microsoft's website anymore.
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Windows-Installer-CleanUp-Utility-Download-18442.html

computerdoc
06-28-2011, 11:12 PM
The Dell Jukebox Utility is not in the list.

TLE
06-28-2011, 11:16 PM
I'll just throw this one out there but have you tried resetting IE back to defaults and deleting the user preferences?

computerdoc
06-29-2011, 01:17 AM
joydivision is correct.

The problem was that the link browser in Outlook was somehow set to the executable that installs the Del Digital Jukebox driver.

I first scrambled and renamed any Dell directory that related to drivers. I also removed any reference to it in the registry.

This didn't help.

I then installed Revo Uninstaller and noticed that the Dell driver installer had been installed today. I uninstalled it. This also didn't help.

I realized that dell driver installation files are of the form r<some number>.exe. I searched for all files of this type and I found 2 that both related to the digital jukebox. I renamed them .exebad so that they wouldn't work. I also saved the problem email as a web page and the link worked so that it indicated that the problem was an Outlook problem.

I then tried the link in Outlook again and got an error for the exebad file that said link browser not found. Locate the link browser. I searched for this on Google and found that I had to point the URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocol entry in file types under folder options to a browser.

After a couple of false starts, I installed Firefox and that adjusted the file type entry and it works now.