PDA

View Full Version : Multiple domains pointed to the same site?

CLC
06-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Will it hurt seo if I have multiple domains pointed to my site? For instance I already have a domain name mycompany.com but I wanted to get mycitycomputerservice or repair .com and point that to my site also. I'm signing up for new hosting and get a free domain name so I figured I should use it if it will help, let me know what you think.:confused:

CLC
06-25-2011, 03:47 PM
I guess I should have googled a bit more before asking this question, the answer seems to be NO it will not help. The only thing that you can do is create a new site with complete new content, that's what I found for info anyway.

ProTech Support
06-26-2011, 06:41 AM
The first thing you want to do, is make sure that you are forwarding any secondary domain names via a 301 redirect.

With some hosting, you can associate multiple domain names to 1 website, and that actually hurts your SEO rankings, because now you have duplicate websites with the same content on the web.

On the other hand, from an SEO standpoint it does not benefit you to forward either. It may benefit you in the sense that you have more domain names out there, lock in your identity, and pick up those clients that may not remember the correct extension.

ZPR
07-08-2011, 03:02 PM
So as far as having sites that are in the form of citycomputerrepair.com but having a main business site, what is the best way SEO wise to have that. Right now I have two domains in that form and I'm considering more and currently they are just doing a 301 redirect. Would just copying the content and changing words do more than a simple 301 or would it just hurt the rating.

MikeLierman
07-08-2011, 03:10 PM
So as far as having sites that are in the form of citycomputerrepair.com but having a main business site, what is the best way SEO wise to have that. Right now I have two domains in that form and I'm considering more and currently they are just doing a 301 redirect. Would just copying the content and changing words do more than a simple 301 or would it just hurt the rating.

If Google finds out you copy your content, oh geez... you will suffer from a ban that could take months to recover from. Absolutely don't do that. 301 redirects don't help or hurt seo, anything will hurt not help. You could build a completely different website, different look, different company name, that would work, but what's the point? If you get well known in your city, the domains could become useful, you could aalso use them for advertising campaigns. That's about it.

Mike

Tapin' the talk from my Droid x2.

tminer
07-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Having multiple domain names pointed to a single site (via 301) will not hurt but the thing is that you want to focus on getting incoming links to only the main domain name you want to focus on.

One of the main reasons you may want to have multiple is to lock out competitors if you have good domain names like (yourcitycomputers.com, yourcitycomputerrepair, etc) but i would focus on yourcompanyname.com as the most important.

Another reason for multiple domain names is if you have a long domain name as your main one, (i.e., mine is soonercomputerservices.com) its kinda long for people to type in directly for a web address or email, but i could have something shorter like okccomputer.com (for instance) and put that on my business cards or printed material to make it easier for a customer to type and/or remember.

mraikes
07-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Having multiple domain names pointed to a single site (via 301) will not hurt but the thing is that you want to focus on getting incoming links to only the main domain name you want to focus on.

One of the main reasons you may want to have multiple is to lock out competitors if you have good domain names like (yourcitycomputers.com, yourcitycomputerrepair, etc) but i would focus on yourcompanyname.com as the most important.

Another reason for multiple domain names is if you have a long domain name as your main one, (i.e., mine is soonercomputerservices.com) its kinda long for people to type in directly for a web address or email, but i could have something shorter like okccomputer.com (for instance) and put that on my business cards or printed material to make it easier for a customer to type and/or remember.

+1. This is what I do. I've picked up many regional computer-repair related domain names just so no one else gets them. A couple I've pointed to my main domain, but most are just in mothballs.

I also registered a short 5 character name ( fixnm.com ) to use in lieu of my longer, hyphenated name when convenient.

ZPR
07-08-2011, 05:09 PM
That kinda what I figured. One issue I have with mine is people spelling zack as zach and then they get a site in Littleton, NH. I'm just surprised that no one else got those domains. I even just got ismypcfixed.com today to provide a tracking service for pc's in shop.

Thanks for the advice MikeLierman and tminer. I may just put a link back to the main site on the ismypcfixed.com site. That's alot easier and shorter than madisonvillecomputerrepair.com or hopkinscountypcrepair.com. But easier to spell than zackspcrepair.com. Which my site needs a major overhaul anyways.

rsarceno
07-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Two or more domain names pointed to the same website usually is not advisable because it will effect your ranking but there is a proper way to do it. I have two domain name (my access wont let me post my url)
My first domain name is long with the wording "computerrepair" which is my main url. (Google friendly). My other doamin name is short and easier to follow (excellent for remote support eg: download avg_xxx_com). You got the idea.

Both domain are Google aware but only one is master. You need to inform Google using Google Webmaster Tool.

Yahoo allow multiple domain name if done right. With yahoo, I benefit from the second domain by using it as a back link. It wasn't my purpose but it just work that way.

No ideas on Bing. Only one domain is listed

Hope this help.

Steve202
07-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Both domain are Google aware but only one is master. You need to inform Google using Google Webmaster Tool.

Where do you do that?

rsarceno
07-09-2011, 01:57 AM
Where do you do that?

Site Configuration --> Change of address.

Sorry I can't add the URL my access wont allow me.