PDA

View Full Version : Leaflet Design - Which do you prefer?

Simmy
06-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Which leaflet do you prefer out of these 2? We're having 5000 printed so we want to get it right!

http://www.smg-computers.com/hosted/leaflet1.jpg

http://www.smg-computers.com/hosted/leaflet2.jpg

Also, any critiques welcome. What would you change with regards to the content, images, design etc. Thanks :)

TLE
06-24-2011, 11:51 AM
I like the second one best. It more eye catching, easier to read even though it's on an angle and the colours are great too. Very eye catching, great work!!

activeits
06-24-2011, 01:15 PM
I like the second one best. It more eye catching, easier to read even though it's on an angle and the colours are great too. Very eye catching, great work!!

Same here, go for number two. But before you give out any leaflets get your website done too.

Martyn
06-24-2011, 01:17 PM
No 2 by a long way................

PremierTech
06-24-2011, 01:25 PM
No2 is way better. Although the picture in the first brought back memories of the bridge from when i lived in that part of the country.

Simmy
06-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback - we'll be going with the 2nd one by the looks of it.

But before you give out any leaflets get your website done too.

...I'm not sure what website you're looking at? :p

16k_zx81
06-24-2011, 02:38 PM
I like the second one best, too.

A couple of things occurred to me.

Firstly, there's a lot of blank space in the design. I think some of this space could be used to improve the strength of the advertising message.

I'm not advocating to make the design 'cluttered', and I can see this is part of the design form. Im not suggesting to upset the balance of that either. What I am saying is that there is quite a lot of empty room there, some of which could be put to task on message.

Secondly, I think it could be worth considering some development of your sales pitch.

I didnt catch in your post how you will be distributing these, what your target market is, what the specifics of the drop-target are (the people who will be getting the fliers) or what the context is in which they will receive them (letterbox, trade show, network meetings, or whatever).

Its very difficult to provide much more of a critique without knowing these aspects as this is what would drive the nature of the copy.

Speaking generally though, one thing I am noticing is that there's no clear message.

In the copy you're saying "We do this, and this, and this. So call us".

There's nothing there to differentiate your company's service from any other website service the punter could access. Any web-design company can provide these services. That, in terms of your advertising message, is a problem.

To get their attention, something should jump off the page (a specific benefit to the customer, something immediately tangible) saying "Choose US!" .... because you get "THIS"

"THIS" is the thing you offer that makes them want to ring YOU for the job, and not just another web-design company, which there are no shortage of.

It's the thing that makes them put the flier in their pocket, keep it, and ring YOU when they get back to the office, instead of simply being reminded by it that they need the website done, and getting on Google to shop around.

At the moment, your flier lacks this aspect.

It looks great! All the aesthetics are there. But, it lacks the capacity to 'stick'.

Hope it helps.

06-24-2011, 02:47 PM
I like number two, as well.... However, my gripe is.... Why did you leave them as PDFs for us to give an opinion? That render time was ridiculous! (seriously, I had to restart my machine after looking at 2) PNG or JPG would have been fine for us to say "Looks good..."

iisjman07
06-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Two, definitely. It's actually very nice

Simmy
06-24-2011, 03:05 PM
I like number two, as well.... However, my gripe is.... Why did you leave them as PDFs for us to give an opinion? That render time was ridiculous! (seriously, I had to restart my machine after looking at 2) PNG or JPG would have been fine for us to say "Looks good..."

Fair point. Sorry if people are having problems rendering the PDFs. I've converted them to jpg now.

Simmy
06-24-2011, 03:19 PM
I like the second one best, too.

A couple of things occurred to me.

Firstly, there's a lot of blank space in the design. I think some of this space could be used to improve the strength of the advertising message.

I'm not advocating to make the design 'cluttered', and I can see this is part of the design form. Im not suggesting to upset the balance of that either. What I am saying is that there is quite a lot of empty room there, some of which could be put to task on message.

Secondly, I think it could be worth considering some development of your sales pitch.

I didnt catch in your post how you will be distributing these, what your target market is, what the specifics of the drop-target are (the people who will be getting the fliers) or what the context is in which they will receive them (letterbox, trade show, network meetings, or whatever).

Its very difficult to provide much more of a critique without knowing these aspects as this is what would drive the nature of the copy.

Speaking generally though, one thing I am noticing is that there's no clear message.

In the copy you're saying "We do this, and this, and this. So call us".

There's nothing there to differentiate your company's service from any other website service the punter could access. Any web-design company can provide these services. That, in terms of your advertising message, is a problem.

To get their attention, something should jump off the page (a specific benefit to the customer, something immediately tangible) saying "Choose US!" .... because you get "THIS"

"THIS" is the thing you offer that makes them want to ring YOU for the job, and not just another web-design company, which there are no shortage of.

It's the thing that makes them put the flier in their pocket, keep it, and ring YOU when they get back to the office, instead of simply being reminded by it that they need the website done, and getting on Google to shop around.

At the moment, your flier lacks this aspect.

It looks great! All the aesthetics are there. But, it lacks the capacity to 'stick'.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the response :) I can see exactly what you mean. Trouble is, I'm struggling to think of a way to rectify it. I wish I had a reason for why we're better than the rest. I probably want their money more than any other web design company? :p

We've actually added a line saying "contact us for a free quote today". In the hope that if they do want a website, then they have nothing to lose by simply contacting us for a quote.

We're aiming it at local residential and business addresses, so it's just about aimed at every person and their dog (we will be selective about the areas we deliver them to though).

I forgot to mention, that on the otherside of the leaflet will be a computer repair flyer (virus removal/dc jack resoldering/lcd repair) with exactly the same design and layout. I'm not sure if this is a clever idea or a stupid one yet! On the one hand, we advertise both of our services in one fell-swoop. On the other hand, we might come across as a jack of all trades company?

TopLevelComp
06-24-2011, 07:10 PM
#2 by far, but make it straight. You don't want customers having to turn their head or the paper to have to read it.

On the idea of putting computer repair flyer on the back, don't. Use the back for screen shots of your work.

I don't know about aiming it at residential clients, this brings in other hassles.

On a side note, there's a few things on your website I'd fix. On the front page, the testimonials stretch the website up and down, edit the testimonials so they keep the DIV they are in the same height, or make the div's height so it doesn't stretch, it can cause frustrations if they are trying to read something at the footer and ti moves on them. On the pricing table blurb background, it has a huge amount of transparent space, edit this so the hovering blurb is 2 pixels below the normal state blurb.

techee
06-27-2011, 04:24 PM
go for the second one. it look very nice.

the first one looks very elegant but doesn't really target your customer base. would be great for a nightclub though :)

nesrinamb
06-28-2011, 02:41 AM
I would go for the second one the colors look well done.