PDA

View Full Version : Lenovo X200. Bad board?

AJ.
06-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Hello guys,

A Lenovo X200 just arrived at my desk.
She's... dead.

If I install a fully charged battery from another X200, no lights come up, and power button doesn't do anything.
If I connect a working battery charger, again, no lights... and she doesn't power up with the power button.
Remove the battery, connect battery charger... no lights... no power up.

I dis-assembled it mid-way, and played with the power connector.
Everything looks good and solid.
I checked continuity from the power pins to the cables, and it's all good (this machine has power cables soldered to the power plug... instead of getting soldered to the motherboard).

I'm at a loss... called Lenovo, and the machine is out of warranty, and the guy said it sounded like a bad board.

Any thoughts on what else I might try? (other than a hammer)

Thanks everyone for your time and help... greatly appreciated!

-- AJ

sys-eng
06-23-2011, 05:16 PM
I agree with the guy at Lenovo.

One other thing to check that I experienced earlier this year. Press the power button on the system board. Not the button actuator on the plastic cover but the actual switch on the system board.

I had one that the plastic "button" was not fully depressing the switch on the system board. He had a bad DC Jack and had been pressing the plastic button so hard that he broke it too. After replacing the DC Jack it did not want to start up. I got nervous for a moment thinking I would have to take it all apart again to get the DC Jack back out. Replacing the top plastic cover would have been the fix but the customer decided to just keep pushing the button very hard to start the system. :rolleyes:

AJ.
06-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the reply!
I'm going to try the "real" power button now.
Will update results.
Thanks! :)

AJ.
06-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Played with the power button... but no dice.

The power button is integrated into the keyboard.
I pried it open, hooked-up the keyboard, but nothing.

I think it's dead-dead.
Thanks for the help! :)