PDA

View Full Version : browser-, softwarre-based solution, or remote support appliance?

Janett
06-21-2011, 08:28 PM
I am looking for a remote support solution. I've looked through the forum and found almost most discussions are about web-based solution such as joinme, or software-based LMRI or TV.
Has anybody thought of remote support appliance? I personally would go with appliance, as it is more secure and reliable. But I do want to know your thoughts or concerns when choosing your solution (especially when this is the first time I am independently responsible for my decision ). thanks!!

mraikes
06-21-2011, 10:19 PM
I am looking for a remote support solution. I've looked through the forum and found almost most discussions are about web-based solution such as joinme, or software-based LMRI or TV.
Has anybody thought of remote support appliance? I personally would go with appliance, as it is more secure and reliable. But I do want to know your thoughts or concerns when choosing your solution (especially when this is the first time I am independently responsible for my decision ). thanks!!

An appliance such as . . . ?

Janett
06-21-2011, 10:58 PM
appliance such as Bomgar and RHUB

ATTech
06-21-2011, 11:24 PM
appliance such as Bomgar and RHUB
What are the point of these? What do they accomplish that can't be handled with the other options?

Personally, I use TouchMyPc for Remote support and LogMeIn for my personal and family machines.

JakeFromScreenConnect
06-22-2011, 02:33 AM
We look at it mainly from Hosted vs Self-Hosted.

Hosted or SaaS includes most of what's out there:

-Logmein Rescue
-TeamViewer
-GoToAssist
-many many others

Self-Hosted or On-Premises includes these:

-Bomgar
-ScreenConnect
-SimpleHelp
-just a few others

Most hosted solutions are priced per month or per year, though Teamviewer offers a lifetime license. You'll always be on the latest release with most of these solutions, so figuring your costs is pretty simple. Teamviewer is the exception, as they charge a pretty penny for upgrades.

Self-hosted solutions you own and can use forever, but they may cost to upgrade. Bomgar offers a hardware appliance, which is attractive in a self-contained sort of way, but otherwise requires the same network configuration (for the server) that the software-only products require. The software-only products require installation on a computer to act as a server.

The OP made a distinction of software-based vs web-based. Well, there is a lot of gray area here. Some offer installable rich clients to manage sessions, some do not. Web UIs and rich clients provide similar experiences these days, so it's best just to try each solution out, and not to generalize. All use some sort of executable to be able to capture and view the screen.

There are many other distinctions to be made here, but to us, it's Hosted vs Self-Hosted, and we don't presume Self-Hosted (like ScreenConnect) is right for everyone.

Hampden Comp
06-23-2011, 02:01 AM
I have been using the Bomgar B100 appliance for two years. It is highly configurable and I feel more secure, as my clients do with my self hosted option. Certainly worth looking into. I can run my rep console on my mac or win laptop and soon my iPad! I can also support across multiple platforms including smart phones.

Check out the free trial: http://www.bomgar.com/try-bomgar.aspx