PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate meta descriptions and title tags?

CLC
06-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Having duplicate meta descriptions and title tags? I noticed this in Google's webmasters tools under html suggestions. How much will this affect your ranking on Google? Is it just a suggestion or will it actually help me rank better by changing this. I only have 3 pages and all have the same keywords and site titles. So far I see no problem on yahoo or bing:confused:

pcbox
06-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Having duplicate meta descriptions and title tags? I noticed this in Google's webmasters tools under html suggestions. How much will this affect your ranking on Google? Is it just a suggestion or will it actually help me rank better by changing this. I only have 3 pages and all have the same keywords and site titles. So far I see no problem on yahoo or bing:confused:

Google typically knows what they're talking about in regards to their own products :p

Duplicate content should be avoided typically, especially in places like the title tag as this has some weight in google rankings. Meta descriptions aren't weighted as heavily as they used to be and are more beneficial to users than search engines. Try to make the title/meta description for each page as concise and descriptive as possible.

That being said, there are many, many factors that go into search engine rankings and only changing your meta desc/title will probably have little effect.

Here's a good article on duplicate content and some suggestions on how to handle it:

http://www.seomoz.org/learn-seo/duplicate-content

CLC
06-17-2011, 09:12 PM
I checked and my keyword data is perfect on my services page and not on my home page, and my description is perfect for my home page and horrible for my services page. I'm going to work on this, thanks for the advice.

Just a few things that I've done, I do have a sitemap with my main page set to top priority. I have all of the non www traffic redirected correctly to www. I have my local service area in my site title and plenty of content that mentions my service area on my home page. Anything simple I'm forgetting?

What if I have a page that I don't really care about showing up in search results, such as the contact us page? I read that you can delete the meta keywords and description of a page and Google will just use words located on the page and it will not affect your ranking. Does anyone know if this is true?

A couple more questions for the more knowledgeable than I. Will sub domains effect Google rank? I'm currently working on an online store for custom built pc's and it's in a sub domain for instance store.mydomain.com. I read that Google see's these as two entirely different sites? Does your Google rank effect your local places page also or is that a different story? Last question, how much does domain age effect your ranking and does purchasing your domain for more years actually help?

I have read a bunch of articles and everyone seems to have a different answer, I figured someone here might actually know what they are talking about.Thanks:D