PDA

View Full Version : Xp pro sp2 vlk cd

i2omani
07-11-2008, 03:40 PM
I have XP PRO SP2 VLK CD , when i am installing it in new computer it will not ask me to enter product key. is there is a way that i can change it to ask me which Key to use? or is there is a way that i can change the key after i install it with the customer product key?

Simmy
07-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Are VLK cds pre-activated? If not, you can change the product key during the activation process. Or you can edit the CD - located winnt.sif in the I386 folder and you should see a line that contains the product key. Simply remove that and it will prompt you during the installation.

NWPhotog
07-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Are VLK cds pre-activated? If not, you can change the product key during the activation process. Or you can edit the CD - located winnt.sif in the I386 folder and you should see a line that contains the product key. Simply remove that and it will prompt you during the installation.

Yep, they are pre-activated. I don't know if any of the key changers can undo that. Perhaps get a regular XP SP2 CD?

Simmy
07-11-2008, 06:32 PM
I just remembered there is a registry key you can change to deactivate windows. I've done it a couple of times myself using this procedure found on the internet;

Step 1) Start->Run, type 'regedit'
Step 2) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/WindowsNT/Current Version/WPAEvents
Step 3) Double-click OOBETimer, when the box comes up, change the LAST TWO HEX VALUES to nulls(00 00)

To Reactivate, go to Start->Run, type "c:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a" without quotes.

But I've also just read you can't use a retail/oem key to activate a vlk install. Maybe you could go through the activation over the phone and get it activated that way?

Blues
07-11-2008, 07:12 PM
At my office we do have an XP Pro VLK not sure what SP it is but I do have to put in a key for ours.

cbclark
07-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Volume License versions do not require any activation at all, and the reason there is no option to enter a key lies in a file called winnt.sif. You can create these and add them to an ISO image for unattended installs, the license key being one option.

You can change the key several ways, but if you want to remain legal you should buy a new copy or find an OEM version disc to install with if you want to use your existing OE key.