PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on SBS 2011 Essentials or Standard, and/or Premium Add-on

road
06-14-2011, 07:53 PM
I have a small business client that is growing rapidly. They currently have 4 users soon to be 5 (not including a network administrator currently), using a WHS SP2 for backups and sharing of files, 1 Vista Home Basic SP2 32Bit, 1 Vista Home Premium SP2 32Bit, 1 Vista Home Premium SP2 32Bit 64Bit, and 1 Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit. Plans are to implement either an SBS 2011 Essentials or SBS 2011 Standard and wanting to use that one server to backup, share files and applications (mainly Office 2010). Will need the ability for Rights Management Services, Active Directory Rights Management Services (RMS) and/or DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT (DRM). Must be able to define each user's permissions for one or more of copying, modifying, printing (or limit the number of prints allowed), and screen shots for all documents. As an example one user will have the right to write, edit, copy (e.g. to a flash drive or cd), email and print documents, while another user will only be able to edit the document and print but not copy or email, while another user will only be able to view a document on the monitor and nothing else.

The new network would be administrated and maintained remotely therefore Remote Desktop access will be needed on all of the computers.
All user's will need roaming profiles.
There will be at least three network printers used.
A SQL server or Exchange server will not be needed at this point.

The hope is to make all this possible with one new SBS 2011 machine.

I will be building the SBS 2011 server and five machines with Windows 7 Professional to replace the four current computers and an additional computer that will also be added the new network. The client request if possible to use WHS as a back up for the new SBS server.

A few questions.

- Will we be able to accomplish everything stated with either the SBS 2011 Essentials or the Standard edition only?
- In order to implement Rights Management Services must we use the SBS 2011 Premium Add-on?
- If we must use an additional server as provided by SBS 2011 Premium Add-on to implement a Rights Management Server, will there need to be a separate physical machine or can we use a Virtual Server on the Essentials or Standard server that would be use?

It would be great to get answers those specific questions and all recommendations would be appreciated,

silvano
06-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Take a look @ http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/foundation.aspx
if they don't plan on having 15 or more users any time soon. Seems cheaper, and if they don't need exchange/IIS built in, then may be the better option. Haven't deployed SBS2011 yet, but 2008 was awful in my experience. Only benifit of SBS vs Foundations I can see is if the user will be self administering any thing, than the built in wizards will make it easier on their end.

Tony_Scarpelli
06-20-2011, 06:26 AM
Download the free 30 day evaluation copy. Then test it for the client before ordering it.