PDA

View Full Version : What do you install? {basic}

ipodman
02-20-2006, 08:55 AM
Hello,

After installing the OS on to a computer What are the basic software packages that you install?

For me I install:-

Latest Virus Protection (Norton)
Run a full windows update
Install Microsoft Works

These are the basic components that I install on a computer, What do you install?

Bryce W
02-20-2006, 10:03 PM
In order, after reinstalling an OS (XP most of the time) I do the following:

- Once the OS is installed and the neccessary networking devices (modem or network card) I goto the Windows update site and get all the available patches.
- Install Drivers for other hardware, video, audio, printers etc.. (did this after the updates because some drivers arent compatible after certain updates such as SP2)
- Install Antivirus (AVG is my weapon of choice) and update it to the latest virus definitions.
- Install MS Office.
- Get latest MSN Messenger, Firefox and Thunderbird and other software depending on what I use or my clients use.
- I then revisit the Windows Update site as software like MS Office needs patching from the CD version.

bongo
02-20-2006, 10:47 PM
install firewall and wares like winzip is a must and fill up those essential items..;)

a1whs.com
02-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Steps i do after fresh install :

1. Plug out the network cable.
2. Install Firewall
3. Install all softwares needed.
4. Plug in the network cable.
5. Update files.
6. Create an image ( i just use now the image to do fresh installs like evey 2 weeks) Takes only 5 mins this way to get my system back to original state (and no i am not talking about system restore option cause that feature gets disabled the minute i install windows).

cheers

Stealth
02-22-2006, 12:19 AM
Reformat, unhook DSL modem from the splitter.
Install Windows, get all drivers working, run prepared Service Pack EXE, configure DSL modem via HTTP
Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, Sygate Personal Firewall, any antivirus, scan with S&D and AV to make sure it's clean before update.
Reconnect DSL modem to splitter, reinstate DSL link
Run AutoUpdate, manually update S&D, SWB and AV programs.
...miscellaneous goes here...

Bryce W
02-22-2006, 03:15 AM
In order, after reinstalling an OS (XP most of the time) I do the following:

- Once the OS is installed and the neccessary networking devices (modem or network card) I goto the Windows update site and get all the available patches.
- Install Drivers for other hardware, video, audio, printers etc.. (did this after the updates because some drivers arent compatible after certain updates such as SP2)
- Install Antivirus (AVG is my weapon of choice) and update it to the latest virus definitions.
- Install MS Office.
- Get latest MSN Messenger, Firefox and Thunderbird and other software depending on what I use or my clients use.
- I then revisit the Windows Update site as software like MS Office needs patching from the CD version.
Actually, after reading your posts I remembered something. If I have a non Windows XP SP2 system I will get a firewall up and running first. There has been an occasion when I was at a clients place. I formatted his PC (XP SP1), got windows running, started to go to the Windows update site to get the latest updates and BOOM. Got hit with some worm even though all I went to was the Win update site immediately. Some worm (blaster or something) was bouncing around the ISP's subnet.

a1whs.com
02-23-2006, 05:22 AM
Actually, after reading your posts I remembered something. If I have a non Windows XP SP2 system I will get a firewall up and running first. There has been an occasion when I was at a clients place. I formatted his PC (XP SP1), got windows running, started to go to the Windows update site to get the latest updates and BOOM. Got hit with some worm even though all I went to was the Win update site immediately. Some worm (blaster or something) was bouncing around the ISP's subnet.

If your not aware all older versions of XP get hit by that virus the instant you plug in the network cable. That blaster worm came into existence when XP was launched so you should have know that, it was in news for months and it still exists and nothing can be done unless you have patched your windows prior to connection to internet. Its common mistake many people make. Never connect your PC to internet unless you have firewall going and all updates applied ( download them prior to reinstall).
But tool exists to remove blaster worm but why take the pain of scanning the system when you can avoid it in the first place.

Durinthiam
02-24-2006, 03:45 AM
If you are going to use anti-virus dont use Norton, it just sits there and eats your resources.

Basic procedures:

Latest Virus Protection
Setup Software Firewall & Hardware if you have one
Run a full windows update, go have a brew
Install essential apps & hardware

a1whs.com
02-24-2006, 06:04 AM
If you are going to use anti-virus dont use Norton, it just sits there and eats your resources.

Trust me choosing the right version of norton helps i see people going for latest versions of norton 2006 and what not ,i just use 2001 version and it has autoupdater so my virus definations are as upto date as norton2006 would it, its just that you make the right choice.

Durinthiam
02-24-2006, 07:17 AM
Every version IMHO is flawwed, and every customer seems to think so too. Norton BAD Symantec GOOD

luecjennifer
03-10-2011, 11:36 AM
The best way out is to go into the manual and read the steps line wise

red12049
03-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Hello,

After installing the OS on to a computer What are the basic software packages that you install?

For me I install:-

Latest Virus Protection (Norton)
Run a full windows update
Install Microsoft Works

These are the basic components that I install on a computer, What do you install?

Isn't MS Works a paid product?

Rick

joydivision
03-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Check the date of this thread, should probably be burried :)

ekrizon
03-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Isn't MS Works a paid product?

Rick

Yea but most name brand computers came with it preinstalled. Not anymore though since they released office 2010 starter edition.

shamrin
03-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Check the date of this thread, should probably be burried :)

You know, I was reading through this thread thinking, WTF? Some tech is installing Norton 2001 on customers computers???

Methical
03-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Thread has been locked.