PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Feature - Forum Spy

Bryce W
06-09-2011, 12:04 AM
I have noticed many users stay on the forums all day and keep hitting the "New Posts" link to bring up any new posts.

Because of this, I have added a new feature called "Spy" and it lists the forum posts in real-time. If someone makes a post, this page will add it list without you ever leaving or refreshing the page. It still works even if you are logged out, but wont show you any posts form forums you have special access to.

You can access this new feature in the Navigation menu next to the "New Posts" link or by clicking here (http://www.technibble.com/forums/vaispy.php).

Xander
06-09-2011, 12:10 AM
Interesting. When does it kick into effect? (Edit: Never mind, there it is)

There is an upside to the "New Post" link. When I am working and come back an hour later, I can see immediately what the newest post was when I last refreshed so that I know how long ago the newer posts started coming in.

Edit: I see that SPY has a Pause button. That might work out well.

iptech
06-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Might also be worth considering why people 'spy' and no longer contribute to a forum Bryce?

Bryce W
06-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Might also be worth considering why people 'spy' and no longer contribute to a forum Bryce?
My stats say otherwise. Also, from experience these things often boost contributions.

iptech
06-09-2011, 12:38 AM
My stats say otherwise. Also, from experience these things often boost contributions.
Value contributions, or just contributions? My stats say it's just contributions.

16k_zx81
06-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Yep I would be one of those who bashes the New Posts button with monotonous regularity. I like to break up my day with forays into TN :)

Thanks for the new feature, Bryce. Appreciate your efforts!

aburwig
06-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Me, too. My mouse button is just about worn through from clicking the New Posts link!! Thanks, Bryce!

TenYardFight
06-09-2011, 02:58 AM
Yup, that's my preferred entry point too. I'll check out the new feature.

tf76
06-09-2011, 05:40 AM
............................I like it!

citizensmith
06-09-2011, 06:37 AM
Until I found this thread in todys new posts I thought the SPY link was a realtime view of what the members are reading like the advanced search tag cloud thing. Perhaps a future feature for identifyng older useful threads or maybe just one for the lurking stalkers.

does the ignore member faeture work on this? Tried to test it on myself as you are all vallued members. vBullettin reply - We can't help you ignore yourself. funny.

MrUnknown
06-09-2011, 07:03 AM
Value contributions, or just contributions? My stats say it's just contributions.

Depends on who they are coming from.

Either way, your stats are wrong. Or you just used that as an excuse to insult a bunch of people.

People would rather contribute and participate in active conversations. If they see a response in a thred they are interested in, they will respond. I *only* use the New Posts feature here to find active threads.

Cambridge PC Support
06-09-2011, 07:16 AM
I have noticed many users stay on the forums all day and keep hitting the "New Posts" link to bring up any new posts.

Because of this, I have added a new feature called "Spy" and it lists the forum posts in real-time. If someone makes a post, this page will add it list without you ever leaving or refreshing the page. It still works even if you are logged out, but wont show you any posts form forums you have special access to.

You can access this new feature in the Navigation menu next to the "New Posts" link or by clicking here (http://www.technibble.com/forums/vaispy.php).

looks good, nice one Bryce :)

TLE
06-09-2011, 09:52 AM
I've been using iSpy for the past week at home and at work. It certainly makes it easier than having to constantly hit the 'New Posts' button or F5. It's a nice feature and one I will continue to use.

4ycr
06-09-2011, 09:54 AM
I have just started to use it, it looks good to have in the back ground

tek9
07-24-2011, 10:13 PM
I don't see the "Spy" forum anymore. Was the feature removed, or is there another reason?

Paul Rodgers
07-24-2011, 10:28 PM
I don't see the "Spy" forum anymore. Was the feature removed, or is there another reason?

Bryce removed it for the time being.

http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29222

tek9
07-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Oh.
I didn't see that post when I searched for "spy".
Thanks.