PDA

View Full Version : Laptop repair - screen comes and goes

htsource
07-08-2008, 12:31 PM
I haven't cracked open the shell of the laptop just yet, but I was told the screen is dead. I fired it up this morning and found out the issue is I can put my hand behind the LCD lid, and as soon as I apply some force, the screen goes white with some horizontal lines going across.

The same happens as I flip open the LCD when turning on the laptop. I'm thinking could it be the LCD cable more than the screen itself?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Simmy
07-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Sounds more likely to be the LCD IMO, but yes you're right it could be the ribbon cable too. Take it apart and make sure the cable is securely in place and that it isn't getting caught and isn't physically damaged. Try wiggling the cable while the LCD is stationary and see if you get the same problem.

Without spare parts to test with, diagnosing is just a matter or tugging and pulling on things and using logic to narrow the options down :p

htsource
07-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Seems like the LCD itself, I ripped apart the bezels and sort of wiggled the cable, didn't do a thing. But if I tab lighting or even just touching the back of LCD (not at the top where it has the circuit board), the screen immediately shows lines and flashes.

I'll proceed with getting a replacement screen. Not sure if there's a better place for ordering screens, but I've been using this place and service has been excellent:

www.lcds4less.com

This will be my 4th LCD replacement panels in a month. Looks like though this Acer model is the easiest one out of all.

Thanks for your response.

MrMille
07-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Their prices are astronomical!

07-08-2008, 10:25 PM
I agree....those prices are like twice as high as they should be for LCD screens.

htsource, do yourself (and your customers) a favor and check out DVDSuperOne on ebay, if you're in the states. MUCH better prices, quick shipping (they always ship the same day and have overnight shipping), and the screens have always been in perfect, new condition. I buy a LOT of LCDs and only have good things to say about him.

htsource
07-09-2008, 03:33 AM
Oh, thank you I'll check out DVDSuper One. Glad I asked :)

Phishie
07-09-2008, 05:55 AM
I would just like to second the eBay suggestion. I haven't personally bought screens off of eBay but I've heard of a lot of other people having good experience buying screens off of eBay. I know Steve from Podnutz (http://www.podnutz.com) pretty much exclusively buys laptop screens off of eBay.

Just make sure the seller has a high feedback rating like 97% or higher and has made a lot of sales.

MrMille
07-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Oh, thank you I'll check out DVDSuper One. Glad I asked :)

Linkage people, linkage

The poster only has to do one search and post a link,
as opposed to a dozen technibblers.

Save the bandwidth! :D

07-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Linkage people, linkage

The link for ebay is http://www.ebay.com :D

(just kidding. Here's the link to the ebay store (http://stores.ebay.com/DVD-Super-One))

MrMille
07-10-2008, 10:08 PM
thanks for the link(s) :)

I found a DVD Super 999,
wasn't sure it was the same