PDA

View Full Version : Backup before format?

Black_Hawk
07-03-2006, 02:04 AM
So, my pc is totally $crewed and I'm planing to format my C partition. I want to know where the registry is because I intend to copy my programs on D partition along with the registry so I don't have to waste a day or two on installing everything all over again. Is there anything else I should make backup of before clearing the C partition? I scanned the pc and no viruses, spyware or any other bad stuff found but it still acts pretty weird and unexpectably reboots. I know that is isn't overheating in these days since it isn't hot outside anymore. Seems like windows have gone mad.
And is it advisable to copy my programs in that way or will I have problems with missing registry entries once i install new windows if I don't backup my registry?

Stealth
07-03-2006, 02:52 AM
Making a backup of the registry is a generally futile. First off the registry is no longer in two files as it was in Windows 95 and 98, now it's separated into several different pieces. Second, and even more important, backing up your registry wouldn't do you good as you'll definitely do something different post-reinstall.

A much wiser option is to simply list all the programs you have (either into a text file or a treeware block - or, as you probably know it, a paper block ;) ), save all your settings on a spare floppy or CD, move all the important non-applications to a different partition or DVD, and then do the format.

And next time, no Norton. You have been warned. :D

Bryce W
07-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Stealth is right. Also, by listing your applications you can goto the websites and download them again. This is a good idea because it gives you a chance to update all your software which you wouldnt otherwise do.

Rus
07-03-2006, 09:18 AM
One thing you can do is go to documents and settings and copy your user directory.
A lot of programs make ther application data directories there so you vcan just copy them there later after reinstall.
I done that with firefox, thunderbitd, xchat, and a lot of others, and you get all your old data back.

Black_Hawk
07-03-2006, 09:43 AM
In my last desperate attempt to fix my pc before a format I did a system restore to the begining of the last month. And guess what?! No more strange boots, no more restarts. One thing bothers me now though - i unnstallet my Norton antivirus since it expired and restored after that and it says it's files are missing (since I uninstalled it) and keeps telling me that. I guess that I'll have to live with it on every boot from now on :D I cleared all I could from it's directory, but it still keeps telling this. I know it was a stupid move but I did it...
Format postponed for now...

Arden
07-03-2006, 11:25 AM
If you're happy with your current settings and all, make an image of it or transfer your settings to a backup file. system tools --> files and settings transfer wizard.

rome2ng
07-19-2006, 01:35 AM
i only make a backup of my files and not the registry. It's a good fresh new start, and i always backup with 2 DVD, yup, if not you can get a norton ghost image of the drive and always restore it when you have trouble.

Bryce W
07-21-2006, 05:58 PM
i only make a backup of my files and not the registry. It's a good fresh new start.
I agree with this too. By re-downloading/re-installing it gives you a great chance to update all the appication versions which you probably wouldnt normally do if you werent formatting.