PDA

View Full Version : What do you use?

SmithFamilyDesigns
05-30-2011, 01:36 AM
So I know that a lot of people on here use Wordpress/Joomla/other pre-built CMS sites. But for the people that actually develop sites, what do you use?

I do a lot with web applications and I use Visual Studio 2010 (and I love that I can write an actual application that runs on the internet) with Telerik rad controls for a couple of sites. I've seen Code Charge Studio and have given it a try but I don't like the IDE or the output.

So I guess I'm just trying to see what else is out there. Anybody code php and use an IDE? I'm looking to learn php in small doses and UltraEdit is awesome, but I'd like to see if there's something out there that provides a way to view the output in real time also.

A list of programs I already have:
1) Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate
2) UltraEdit 14.00a
2) Frontpage 2003 (not used ever really)
3) Dreamweaver CS5
4) Artisteer 2.6 (For the people that want themes for existing CMS sites)
5) Microsoft Expression 3 & 4 (full suite)

Would any of these be good for developing with php? I know dreamweaver does php, but I haven't really seen what it does. I'm willing to try any demos of programs people might suggest and if it's a good program, I wouldn't mind buying so please include paid programs.

Thanks!

Robert
05-30-2011, 01:47 AM
I personally use Netbeans IDE and have recently been looking at moving to phpDesigner. For my use, I've found Netbeans to be a little overkill at times.

techroc
05-30-2011, 04:37 AM
For PHP stuff I create and run a VM in a LAMP environment. Set up a FTP, PHP, MySQL (if needed), and Apache which allows me to work off of the php pages, which I can access through IP of VM in a browser. I also link up FTP info with Aptana Studio which is a great IDE for Mac OSX, updates/changes are then uploaded in real time without having to re-upload files after changes.

SmithFamilyDesigns
05-30-2011, 05:58 AM
For PHP stuff I create and run a VM in a LAMP environment. Set up a FTP, PHP, MySQL (if needed), and Apache which allows me to work off of the php pages, which I can access through IP of VM in a browser. I also link up FTP info with Aptana Studio which is a great IDE for Mac OSX, updates/changes are then uploaded in real time without having to re-upload files after changes.

I have to say, that sounds like a complicated setup, but it makes sense. The aptana deal doesn't sound like it would work for me, but coupling either of the programs Robert suggested with the vm idea sounds good.

Thanks for the replies so far, if there's anything else, please let me know.

Robert
05-30-2011, 07:12 AM
For running/testing, I just use WAMP locally. It's not a true LAMP environment (obviously!), but it allows me to develop enough that I only need to work out a few kinks when pushing an update to be compatible with multiple environments.

iisjman07
05-30-2011, 07:44 AM
A tiny bit of Dreamweaver & Kompozer, but I could live without them. Mainly gedit; the text editor on ubuntu

IAMPC
05-30-2011, 08:01 AM
So I know that a lot of people on here use Wordpress/Joomla/other pre-built CMS sites. But for the people that actually develop sites, what do you use?

A list of programs I already have:
1) Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate
2) UltraEdit 14.00a
2) Frontpage 2003 (not used ever really)
3) Dreamweaver CS5
4) Artisteer 2.6 (For the people that want themes for existing CMS sites)
5) Microsoft Expression 3 & 4 (full suite)

Thanks!

I only do my own site and I've been using Frontpage 2003. Yes, yes, I know people look down on Frontpage but my goal is SEO and bots like nothing better than plain old HTML and Frontpage does a great job of that. It is simple, easy to use and I don't see the junk left over code that everyone always talks about. :rolleyes:

tf76
05-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Mainly notepad

Regards,

SmithFamilyDesigns
05-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Mainly notepad

Regards,

That was all that I used when I started with basic HTML & ASP. Wouldn't use anything else! I then gradually moved to notepad++ and then UltraEdit (best investment for text/hex editing)

tf76
05-30-2011, 05:42 PM
I've also used pspad a fair bit and NVU/Kompozer. Nice freeware programs I must say

Regards,

activeits
05-30-2011, 09:14 PM
I only do my own site and I've been using Frontpage 2003. Yes, yes, I know people look down on Frontpage but my goal is SEO and bots like nothing better than plain old HTML and Frontpage does a great job of that. It is simple, easy to use and I don't see the junk left over code that everyone always talks about. :rolleyes:

Same here, been using Frontpage 2003 for WYSIWYG, and then go into HTML to play with the code directly. I find the same with SEO, I have done very well against my competitors for searches within my town.

jccrcomputers
05-31-2011, 03:25 PM
For my own site, I hand code.
If I was to design a site for someone else, it would be either hand coded or Dreamweaver depending on how complex it needed to be.

Nathan
05-31-2011, 11:37 PM
Topstyle & Stylizer. I have to say, best software I have used, especially together.

However I like to hand code my HTML and use Stylizer to do all my CSS editing, more of a visual environment.

DonaldSayers
06-09-2011, 07:36 PM
I currently use SquareSpace and Photoshop. I designed everything in Photoshop and then built out those designs in SquareSpace.

I am currently working on a version built in ruby and html and I'm about 80% done. It currently looks great in webkit browsers but ie is crappy.

check it:
ifixie.com
ifixie.heroku.com

moto_monkey
06-26-2011, 08:59 PM
So I know that a lot of people on here use Wordpress/Joomla/other pre-built CMS sites. But for the people that actually develop sites, what do you use?If I need a CMS driven site I go with Drupal, Joomla and Wordpress - in that order. Out of those three I find Drupal to be the most intuitive (that's just me :p).

For one off simple custom sites I use Dreamweaver CS5, although these days the out of the box CMS driven approach is my weapon of choice as the free CMS software like Drupal, Joomla and Wordpress are such a breeze to work with and most hosting companies offer them in the site cPanel so installation is quick also.

RichmondTech
06-27-2011, 01:22 AM
I only work on my website, but I use gpEasy (flat file database). It has multiple templates (more that you can download from 3rd parties) and is easier to edit than using notepad since you edit it right on the website. I don't have a lot of time to put into my website, so it's nice when I have a few minutes I can just go to the website and edit instead of pulling up an IDE or worrying about uploading files.

haddow777
06-30-2011, 09:13 AM
If I were to use a.CMS, I would say that I like drupal but I woulf use Joomla. Drupal is nice to work with, is multi-layered allowing great control if you know what you are doing. The problem with it is it doesn't scale as well as Joomla. From my research, Joomla works better under load. That being said, if you are expecting to have huge anoints of traffic, then you don't have to worry about that.

For a simple computer tech website thouh, I would recommend no CMS. Lets face it. To even display a simple webpage, a CMS has to link multiple files and make several database calls. Why bother for a site.that isn't really going to change that much. It takes precious load time. You could be using that load time by having higher quality images, something that might actually capture a potential client's attention.

If you are wanting a more complex website such as a blog, or one that has customized content for each user, then I could understand it.

By the way, Aptana works on windows as well. Netbeans is good for PHP. Eclipse seems to have the.most features. Although I think they are all written in Java, so if you have a slower machine they probably won't be that good for you.

Aptana has a number of flaws, but it is good with Javascript. It can debug Javascript. Also a feature I love is that it shows how compatible any sort of html or css is with various browsers. You can set it up to show you as you are typing if what you are.doing is compatible with what browsers. Go into it's help section and look up a feature and it will tell the exact version of each browser.that feature began being supported.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk