PDA

View Full Version : D7 - Computer Repair, Troubleshooting Software

AtYourService
05-23-2011, 04:33 PM
The portable application D7 could be a computer technicianís and system administratorís dream application for repairing and troubleshooting Windows systems. It comes with such a huge feature set that it is difficulty to describe it in a sentence, or even a paragraph.

So what can you do with D7? The feature set ranges from running maintenance related tasks over tweaks and PC repairs to malware scanning and offline tools.

http://cdn.ghacks.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/d7-repair-tool.png

https://sites.google.com/a/obxcompguy.com/foolish-it/d7

Xander
05-23-2011, 04:52 PM
I believe the latter, Martyn. RTotW also gets sent to all the newsletter recipients.

The more correct site would be: www.FoolishIT.com (http://www.FoolishIT.com)

FoolishTech
05-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the nomination!!! SWEET!

Rafael
06-17-2011, 02:19 AM
i wish a damn company made something like this... its going to take ages for this program to become bugless

Xander
06-17-2011, 04:03 AM
i wish a damn company made something like this... its going to take ages for this program to become bugless
I think what you mean is "Thanks for taking your own time to put this together."

TimJacobs
06-17-2011, 05:06 AM

12 Post and already Bashing People........ I would charge him triple.....

Rafael
06-17-2011, 02:05 PM
You cant read properly, i am not hating on him. There is no programmer on their own that can make a program like this bugless quickly. That is why if a company did this with MULTIPLE minds working together then it is better. 2+>1

rsarceno
07-11-2011, 08:11 AM
You cant read properly, i am not hating on him. There is no programmer on their own that can make a program like this bugless quickly. That is why if a company did this with MULTIPLE minds working together then it is better. 2+>1

2+>1 is not always true. Remember Peter Norton (before he join Symantec) during the DOS 3.x days. His utilities is much superior and less bug compare to a group of programmer at Microsoft.

Roel
__________________________________________________ ______
Sarceno Network Consulting
http://www.snccomputerrepair.com/

Fixedathome.com
07-11-2011, 11:27 AM
+1 for D7. A great addition to the toolkit and perfect for adding a bit of consistency into the way you work.

If you find the program so buggy why not send bug reports to the author (FoolishTech) so he can fix them?

ComputerRepairTech
07-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Yeah that isn't true at all. A single programmer with a passion for his application can often fix issues faster than a company.

16k_zx81
07-19-2011, 08:13 AM
PCRT

Made by one guy

Awesome app.

Fab's

Made by one guy.

Awesome app.

Roadkill's apps...

Karens replicator....

Actually, I think about it, some of the most useful and 'cool' tools in my software arsenal are made by individuals with a passion for their area of expertise. Ive lost count, actually, of the number of really useful apps I have used over the years that were the product of sole-programmers, and that I have used and loved.

I think the ultimate example of this assertion of 'good apps' needing 'multiple minds' is patently wrong, is Mark Russinovic's company. Two guys, who produced a list of apps that changed the face of how techs everywhere work on issues relating to Windows operating systems.

If you listen to the interview on Podnutz with Mark (http://www.podnutz.com/podnutz064), he's quite specific that there were two of them, and they worked separately on most projects. He had his areas of expertise/interest, and so did his offsider.

There's a lot that could be said in response to this. My jaw dropped when I read it.

However, I think the comment itself speaks volumes more than any commentary about it possibly could.

16k_zx81
07-19-2011, 08:28 AM
The portable application D7 could be a computer technicianís and system administratorís dream application for repairing and troubleshooting Windows systems.

+1 to nomination.

Great job yo9u have done there FoolishIT

charles4308
07-19-2011, 06:49 PM
When i extract D7, The D7.exe dissapears. I have disabled my antivirus and it still happens? Any idea why?

Awesome app BTW.

mikesit
07-19-2011, 07:08 PM
+1 for D7 for sure. I have been testing and actually using and while it isn't perfect(nothing ever is) it does help with my time on a system for sure, which in it self is worth its weight in gold.

Carl
07-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Actually, I think about it, some of the most useful and 'cool' tools in my software arsenal are made by individuals with a passion for their area of expertise. Ive lost count, actually, of the number of really useful apps I have used over the years that were the product of sole-programmers, and that I have used and loved.
+1

While D7 may not be "Perfect" It has found a home in my tool box.
Come to think of it - I remember BBSing a Finnish kid around 94/96 named Linus Torvalds about the time he released Linux 1.2.0, was teasing him about how hard it was to install, thought he was nuts for giving it away - it wasn't perfect out of the gate either. (No, he wouldn't remember me - don't even know what handle I used back then).

Thanks Foolish Tech for not only a nice and promising tool, but for being here with us today, we'll probably remember you long after you forgot about us. Fame comes in strange ways - perhaps you'll remember us in 15 or 20 years and have a nostalgic grin when you do. :cool:

Old joke - "When Computers start thinking for themselves we're going to have to introduce them to a Committee"

MM PC Solutions
07-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Bug?!

Interestingly, I downloaded the tool and ran, but then needed to shoot out, so I "cancelled & closed" the initial prompt which I would expect to close the app, however, it ignored that command and went to the next screen which went to look for updates then continued to load the main menu!

I cannot say if this app is any good but for the time being I do not trust commands being executed.

Xander
07-29-2011, 01:55 PM
MM PC, there's an active D7 thread in the Tech Eyes forum.
D7 has a few jobs it does on startup and, during that time, doesn't look for user input. You basically need to wait for the main window to load fully.

FoolishTech
07-29-2011, 04:39 PM
@All, Thanks for all the kind words!

I just now noticed that Bryce featured D7 on the main page!

@ MM PC, D7 never gives you the option to cancel once you start it up, until the main form loads. (Unless you mean the EULA prompt, in which case then that IS a bug and I'm glad you mentioned this, let me investigate and see whether this is the case...)

Also I know on first run, you probably also saw a bunch of first run forms like EULA and config forms that insist on popping up before the main form finally loads. I didn't plan for D7 users to be in such a hurry on their first run!

In any case, I hope you give D7 a chance past your initial experience!

holtmichael09
08-02-2011, 03:16 AM
Still trying it out but so far this is a great program! keep up the good work!

kpk1
08-03-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm also impressed with this tool....following it's development with great interest this end.

Does have a habit of unhiding files though. (Windows 7 pro machine)

FoolishTech
08-03-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm also impressed with this tool....following it's development with great interest this end.

Does have a habit of unhiding files though. (Windows 7 pro machine)

It by default shows hidden files and extensions in Explorer on startup, and hides them on close. You can configure/disable this behavior by going to D7 Config, and it's on the behavior tab under startup behavior.

Thanks for the good words on D7!

Rosco
08-12-2011, 01:16 AM
great tool... i found it unhides everything no matter what settings i use! Really great tool! Better than any other single tool in my tool box! I am glad its from a tech nibble member!:D:D:D:D

Jsch38
10-14-2011, 07:07 PM
I use it to system tunes ups and diagonistic work.
It is easy to use with a nice GUI.

The Tattooed Tech
10-27-2011, 03:32 PM
I have been using D7 since I first read about it here on Technibble. This has been an invaluable tool, that is constantly being updated and improved. Thank you FoolishTech for all your hard work with this.

Drake

MobileTechie
10-27-2011, 03:42 PM
I think Hitman Pro needs removing now it's not got a 30 day trial.

I'd like to see Kernel Detective and maybe Rootkit Unhooker added as tools. A right click for Unlock This File would be very cool too.

FoolishTech
10-27-2011, 05:30 PM
I think Hitman Pro needs removing now it's not got a 30 day trial.

I'd like to see Kernel Detective and maybe Rootkit Unhooker added as tools. A right click for Unlock This File would be very cool too.

Does HMP now offer no 30 day trial? I KNOW that if you use it on a system to remove malware it activates the 30 day period, so if you have the same PC in for service later on, it will want to be activated. Only way around this I know of is to use HMP to DETECT malware but actually remove it manually... kinda defeats the purpose of saving the trial period though, but not of detection itself.

Of course if they have done away with the 30 day trial I will probably do away with HMP...

I'll check into the other apps you mentioned and compare them to existing offerings like GMER... perhaps they are worth inclusion.

Your right click > Unlock File function will be available in v4.7.2 to be released soon!

MobileTechie
10-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Yes I think they have actually done away with it. I've got an old version which still works but the latest update, via D7, has no option to install a temp licence. Shame because it's a great middle ground tool between MBAM and Gmer. It's detection is still useful. In fact, this is why I found the need for the unlock function.

Kernel Detective and Rootkit Unhooker are semi manual tools more like Autoruns, They show you hooks and changes to the SSDT tables amongst other things, which allows you unhook on the fly and to check the status of your rootkit removal. I find them very useful to use at the start of a job to see the hooks and then to compare at the end. Seeing those hooks gone is good confirmation you really have removed it. They're definitely tech's tools so fit into the non user-level theme of D7 I think.

Does D7 have a general right-click option to replace a file with a directory of the same name? I was thinking that would be handy the other day when a virus kept replacing a file.

FoolishTech
10-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Does D7 have a general right-click option to replace a file with a directory of the same name? I was thinking that would be handy the other day when a virus kept replacing a file.

Yes! the right click > Rename to .RENAMED function will also create a dummy file or directory place of the renamed item! Viruses replacing their files are exactly what that is for :)

MobileTechie
10-27-2011, 07:06 PM
I didn't realise it made directories. Thought it as just a file.exe to file.renamed thing.,

FoolishTech
10-27-2011, 07:24 PM
I didn't realise it made directories. Thought it as just a file.exe to file.renamed thing.,

Yep. And if you use it on a directory, it makes a dummy file in it's place also. Neat eh?

That actual info might be buried somewhere in my manual? Unsure, but either way there are so many features with D7 that could really use a good DESCRIPTION or explanation, that it's hard to get the word out and explain them to everyone using it... I think that is D7's biggest problem :\

Encrypted Existence
10-27-2011, 07:35 PM
That actual info might be buried somewhere in my manual? Unsure, but either way there are so many features with D7 that could really use a good DESCRIPTION or explanation, that it's hard to get the word out and explain them to everyone using it... I think that is D7's biggest problem :\

I definitely think that a manual would be useful, especially for a noob like me! :D I have read over most of the content regarding D7 that's on your (Foolishtech) site but a manual would be worth its weight in gold...at least for me.

ZenTree
10-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Does HMP now offer no 30 day trial? I KNOW that if you use it on a system to remove malware it activates the 30 day period, so if you have the same PC in for service later on, it will want to be activated. Only way around this I know of is to use HMP to DETECT malware but actually remove it manually... kinda defeats the purpose of saving the trial period though, but not of detection itself.

Of course if they have done away with the 30 day trial I will probably do away with HMP...

I'll check into the other apps you mentioned and compare them to existing offerings like GMER... perhaps they are worth inclusion.

Your right click > Unlock File function will be available in v4.7.2 to be released soon!

I've never used the free trial on HMP, We don't have a license for it but I was under the impression you could use it to scan the system regardless of your job etc but using the free trial again and again would be suspect. I thought i'd found a way round it with a script that took the output file but that was breaking it.
It's however a very quick and easy way to get an idea of how infected a system is so I'd be fine with it staying on.

Please keep GMER, though it looks v basic i've found it more successful/useful than any other rootkit tool. For the more stubborn ones I combine it with Rootkit Unhooker, as mentioned by Mobile, so I've got that added that as a custom app. I think if people need lots of rootkit tools then people can add their own custom ones as I know people are very particular about which one to use. (I remember finding an arguement about ice sword when I first joined).

Any progress on xperf by the way?

FoolishTech
10-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Any progress on xperf by the way?

Yep. Xperf wrapper is under Performance on the Maintenance tab.

ZenTree
10-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Yep. Xperf wrapper is under Performance on the Maintenance tab.

This will teach me not to have automatic update checking for D7 turned on.

It looks good. The only thing I would like to see (if possible) would be a button to single click run a boot/reboot/shutdown analysis with xbootmgr within the xperf window. You would probably also need a field for the default location to store the report, or have it hardwired in I guess.

Amazing work though as normal Foolish :)

edit: I didn't actually say thanks did I? Thanks :)

edit2: I just tried the xperf, the trace works fine but when I click the stop and view, I get a cmd window flash up and then dissapears. It's too quick for me to read unfortunately. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Are you able to tell me the exact command it is calling through D7 and I will run it from a normal cmd prompt so I can see the error. Well at least i'll run it tomorrow as I'm off to bed now, early start tomorrow.

edit3: tried running manually and still getting an error so I think it's my computer actually. Definitely time to go to bed in that case...

FoolishTech
10-27-2011, 10:30 PM
It looks good. The only thing I would like to see (if possible) would be a button to single click run a boot/reboot/shutdown analysis with xbootmgr within the xperf window. You would probably also need a field for the default location to store the report, or have it hardwired in I guess.

Look for that VERY soon!

PWD
10-28-2011, 05:15 AM
Great tool finally used it. :)

comprx
12-16-2011, 10:23 PM
-- moved to current d7 thread --

Bkelt
03-17-2012, 10:03 PM
started using this and love it! Thank you so much!

Doctor Mouse
03-21-2012, 08:38 PM
I love D7 :) is a great tool!

markcuk11
06-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Will D7 be effected the same way as UVK? UVK has pulled its auto antivirus section from the software due to the software companies complaining?

Cheers

Mark

FoolishTech
06-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Will D7 be effected the same way as UVK? UVK has pulled its auto antivirus section from the software due to the software companies complaining?

Cheers

Mark

I'm not positive because I've never used UVK ;) but I believe that UVK may have violated licensing terms by automating keystrokes and mouse clicks to force automation that the applications did not support.

D7 does not do this, it only uses command line functionality provided by the free versions of the applications for usage which does not violate any licensing terms, hence I have not received any complaints or other communication from the software owners.

markcuk11
06-01-2012, 03:56 PM
That great news

Cheers

TweeOog
08-06-2012, 06:35 PM
This is the best bit of software I have ever used
Thanks a lot made my life much better

FoolishTech
08-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Thank you, I'm glad it's helping you out!

One of the things I constantly strive for is improving D7 and adding features, mostly based on community feedback, so keep using it and let me know if there is anything I can do to make D7 better.

James_S
08-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Two little things I've noticed:

When D7 updates, the link to "support forum" on the revision notes box goes to what appears to be the old forums.

Under the Windows dropdown in the top toolbar, Services is missing. I know I can get to it from the system info page but it seems to me it belongs in the menu with Msconfig and the like.

Keep up the good work!

FoolishTech
08-06-2012, 08:45 PM
When D7 updates, the link to "support forum" on the revision notes box goes to what appears to be the old forums.

I'll have to get that fixed, thanks! A lot of little things like that get overlooked from time to time...

Under the Windows dropdown in the top toolbar, Services is missing. I know I can get to it from the system info page but it seems to me it belongs in the menu with Msconfig and the like.

services.msc? Ahh yes. I typically use Computer Management in that menu (compmgmt.msc) as it has the services snap-in already in there. I would add services.msc separately but there is so little room in that menu now with all of the things that are already there!

Peaceful
08-11-2012, 02:14 AM
Any way to allow the D7 window to be stretched while in safe mode? The entire right column in every category is hidden in safe mode's 640x480 resolution. Or maybe make all the categories check boxes to allow setting defaults prior to going to safe mode?

Hate to complain about such an awesome tool, but particularly frustrating when trying to use the start installer tweak for safe mode and can't even reach it from there. :p

Easy PC
08-15-2012, 07:13 PM
I have started using D7 this week and found it a great help to have all the apps in 1 menu

fooTunny
08-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Ya we just tested this Friday (funny too as we just battled the BITS service path creation on an earlier system, where this had it as a one button push hehe) and are looking forward to using on a daily basis. One thing I did like, is it gave the ability to view the CBS.LOG file when windows itself was blocking access due to the traditional mind numbing "you are not an admin" message. So far, we are giving this high props!!!!

fooTunny

AdvancedTech
08-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks for this wonderful software...I can't imagine how long it took to write it. It is truly unbelievable!!! Now all I have to do is learn how to use it!!

zanazzi
06-21-2014, 04:34 PM
Hi,
I am an ex-corp. it tech that is starting a small repair business to specialize in home users. (I know I am asking for trouble). I purchased D7II and was experimenting with it. I think D7 is an awesome tool, but it does so much. I looked at some of Nick's videos. I was wondering if some of you could share the best way to use it for this niche. In other words get rid of malware and viruses as fast as possible. Thank You.

Xander
06-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Zanazzi, I like to think of D7II as more of a toolbox (I've got mine titled as "Doctor's Bag") and it's more about what you put into it than what's there. The custom apps are its greatest strength IMO.
There are also D7II forums (see my signature) that may be more helpful. Here, a lot of users use D7II but, there, most do.