PDA

View Full Version : Server backup with online and local imaging

COB
05-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Hi,

Not sure what way to describe this but hopefully it will make sense. What I am looking to find out is whether there is a solution available that will allow me to make an image of a hard disk and combine it with online storage. What I would like to be able to do is make monthly image backups to an external HDD and remove these from the clients premises. Should anything happen I would then like to restore the image and get any newer file versions from the online storage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Cathal

Knightsman
05-23-2011, 05:18 AM
how much data is it in GB?

COB
05-23-2011, 07:17 AM
Hi,

I'm not sure exactly as it's more of a general question. I have a server in mind though and it has about 100Gb to back up.

Cheers,
Cathal

wtigger
05-25-2011, 02:21 AM
The "online" part will depend on how much data is being backed up and what is your "upload" speed on the Internet connection. Upload on most broadband is extremely slow...

kagman
05-25-2011, 03:26 AM
For my business clients I recommend having a local NAS device for making image backups of the local computers. Then have them use online storage for backing up the most important and critical files that are needed to run their business.

Its an easy sell. I simply tell them that if the office burns down do to a fire and all your backups are in the office, then your business data is gone!!! Online storage is an extra backup.. That works all the time for me.

Using online storage to host images of a computers hard drive is not cost effective. You could make system images and store them at your location as added safety.

Tony_Scarpelli
06-20-2011, 06:00 AM
I think both Acronis, Paragon and HP have server universal remote image software which allows you to image and restore the server but it also resets the sid and other sysprep stuff when you put it on different hardware, you need to reenter the coa.

It is amazingly fast and simple to use, I doubt you will need to do any restore from Online to correct errors or problems. It works pretty good.