PDA

View Full Version : Static protection

Boyd
06-19-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm just curious how conscious everyone is about static electricity when handling your components.

When I was in college one of my engineer friends told me that he never worked with wrist straps, he just made sure to discharge my touching the metal frame of the computer case he was working on.

Do you use a anti-static wrist strap or any other means to keep yourself from zapping your components?

I recently noticed a wireless strap on newegg, but it doesn't have any reviews... was wondering if it was worth the effort?

generalj
06-19-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't usually wear any static prevention straps etc. I always jsut discharge myself by touching a ground outlet too. But if you can get in the habit of using a strap then I would recommend it. I only fried one computer by static a long time ago when I first started, I think I was 14 or something. If you can be carefull you should be ok, but the other thing is the type of clothers, shoes you wear and the surface you standon and work on. These can cause more static so that is a precaution.

I am actually thinking about forcing myself to use a strap just as a precaution, even though I have worked on and disassembled many many computers and laptops down to each individual part and not had a problem, there is a chance that one will go and I would not want to eat the cost for that fix.

Anyways I am actually looking at getting an office and I am looking into work benches and flooring that is anti-static is nature to complement too.

MHCG
06-19-2008, 09:11 PM
I never wear static protection unless I'm replacing RAM or fiddling with the processor. I touch the metal of the case and I've never fried anything.

06-19-2008, 09:24 PM
I wear a static strap if I'm at a customer's location and replacing internal components. It's purely a precaution and I'm sure I could get by without it, but I'd rather not have to find out.

acs
06-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Only wear one if I am handling , Ram , CPU, or MB.
Always wear one on site if I am handling those components as it help to give a good impression to the client.

JayTech
06-20-2008, 10:41 AM
When i first started working with computers i used an anti static wrist band but now i discharge myself the same as generalj as im sure most techies do.
Jaytech

Simmy
06-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Never worn any anti-static equipment either and never damaged any components to my knowledge *touch wood/grounded case*.

I did go through a month of having "PC chips" motherboards being DOA, but I'm thinking that was a bad batch rather than anything I did. They're crap boards anyway so I don't use them anymore :p

Blues
06-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Like most I don't use the stuff either I just try to discharge myself before begin working. I have only given a static charge to one component and it didn't even hurt it.

tartis
06-21-2008, 03:26 AM
Always wear static strap or use a static mat when handeling RAM and other sensative components. Especially at a customer site since they are most likely on carpet. You can damage parts without even knowing it; I like to call these gremlin problems that creep up later.

Phishie
06-21-2008, 05:55 PM
I have two wrist straps in my tool case but I never wear them. The last call I had, for some reason the clients carpet was putting a lot of static on me and I was getting shocked by everything I touched. I didn't work on the internals but I think that would have been a good time to bust out the anti-static strap if I did.

dcstek
06-22-2008, 02:03 AM
Tartis is right, you can damage the components without even knowing it. The part will just fail prematurely. My work benches have anti static mats which are grounded to the electrical outlet. Amazing as it sounds, since I have taken these precautions I have fewer DOA parts.

Dean

thor999
09-16-2008, 04:01 AM
My work benches have anti static mats which are grounded to the electrical outlet.

Dean

I am very interested in your setup; could you please post links to the items you mentioned, and, well, is it a fairly straightforward design? If not can you provide me with a brief tutorial, and maybe some pics (especially how you have it all grounded!!!) Thank you for your time! Also, do you use a UPS for your workbench? A KVM switch? Maybe even an inline surge protector, coming right out of the circuit breaker? If so, I may well be your soulmate lol kidding!:p

nonchalant
09-16-2008, 04:23 AM
If I found myself standing in the same spot for several hours working on PC's I'd probably wear one, but I find it too much hassle if Im constantly moving around. I just make sure I ground myself before touching anything.

koonter
09-16-2008, 10:31 AM
i personally have always grounded myself by touching the power supply before working on a computer. but i keep in mind that the smallest electric static shock can destroy or destabilize circuitry. And just because the resulting damage might not immediately be self evident dose not mean its not happening.

Jory
09-16-2008, 01:42 PM
I've never worn one and haven't had a problem that I know of.

I do make an effort to touch the case while it's plugged in, or something else that's grounded before handling parts. I also have a pretty good habit of only grabbing/touching non-conductive parts of the components. It would still be possible to throw a spark to a conductive part, but it's never happened.

Given the inconvenience of wearing a strap and never having a problem without one on I'll take the chance. Worst case I'll fry something and have to replace it at my cost, but after all these years I don't see that happening enough to convince me to wear one.

i2omani
09-16-2008, 03:02 PM
I always ware anti-static wrap. it became a habit for me , since my full time job as a 5ESS Switch engineer , i handle cards "PHV5's ,V7's, modules" and those F**ker cost $10k up to $300k and very delicate. 'don't wanna be messing with those stupid Lucent cards :D'
My static warp actual got a device that will indicate with 2 LEDs if I am properly grounded or no.

JapanimemanDO
01-15-2009, 06:09 AM
I'm about to replace a laptop HD and I wanna be safe. Since it's not a full sized desktop, I don't have a metal chassis/case to touch and ground myself.
Doesn't anyone have a good, cheap, reliable static band they can point me to?

Do I even need one?
Can I do the work over a linoleum floor while wearing plastic (lab=skintight) gloves?

tartis
01-15-2009, 12:46 PM
I'm about to replace a laptop HD and I wanna be safe. Since it's not a full sized desktop, I don't have a metal chassis/case to touch and ground myself.
Doesn't anyone have a good, cheap, reliable static band they can point me to?

Do I even need one?
Can I do the work over a linoleum floor while wearing plastic (lab=skintight) gloves?

Your local Radio Shack should have them. Here is a link from their site: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103245

Romaniac
01-17-2009, 05:41 PM
I always imagined that if I shocked a component with static, I would know it; that it would be noticeable like when you get shocked by another person or w/e.

I bought a couple of second hand video cards. Identical things, both worked fine before.
They were in a case that was full of dust and smoke. I HAD to clean them. I did the same thing for both. Cleaned the dust and all that with a Q-tip, especially the little fan. I replaced the thermal paste for the die with AS5, because what it had looked not too good.
Again, I did same operation for both.

One came out fine, one was dead. I couldn't believe it. I really thought I did something while cleaning it...I can't really see what though. Everything was soldered and pretty solid.
I asked around and it seems I killed it with static. I have absolutely no idea when or how I did it.

I've heard bad stories of this, frying MOBOS and such, but I thought you really had to build up quite a charge to do damage....looks like I was wrong.
However, I'm still not 100% on the static theory, but I sure will ground a lot more this time, and try and limit movement and notice what I'm wearing.

seedubya
01-17-2009, 06:28 PM
The static shock you get from another person is, on average, around 2KV. A static discharge of 1/100th of this could damage a RAM chip

Paul
01-11-2010, 10:45 PM
I wear them all the time when handling pc components, got into the habbit of wearing a esd wrist strap i am always weary of esd and intermitent errors to hardware.

schwags
01-11-2010, 10:52 PM
I don't wear straps, but I do have a static dissipative mat mounted to the laptop area of my workbench. When I am working on a laptop, I am constantly touching the mat by default so a charge never has a chance to get built up. Also, When I am handling a stick of RAM or a CPU, I have some static resistive gloves that I found a long time ago. I guess I have never tested them, but no problems so far.

Alan22
01-12-2010, 01:06 AM
I should wear one because I'm so electrifying :D
It's a curse I have to live with :p

kentuckyjoe
01-12-2010, 06:38 AM
Maybe I'm weird but I actually read this stuff (http://www.esda.org/).

Like someone said earlier, you won't feel it if it's under 2500V and it only takes 100V to fry a RAM chip.

SThompson86
02-02-2010, 12:32 AM
Hello, Do any of you use the ESD Mats? Just curious because if its the right thing to do, I need to get one. I already use the straps, but I am curious about the anti static mats.

Thanks in adv.