PDA

View Full Version : What are your backing up tips?

bagellad
06-15-2008, 04:25 AM
Quick backup tips - So a customer wants you to store all their pictures, word files, business files etc off their old computer. Is there any program you use to automate this process? Or just do a lot of "find" searches? Maybe copy the whole hard drive? I am looking for how you do it on-site if possible.

Bryce W
06-15-2008, 05:03 AM
I would give this application a run: http://www.technibble.com/repair-tool-of-the-week-autobackup/
Of course, check the files afterwards.

Be sure to let the client know that you are backing up the most common things (my docs, emails etc..) and that they need to let you know if they have any software they want backed up like Quickbooks data files.

mh348
06-15-2008, 07:39 AM
What do you reccomend for the Storage medium, an external HDD or a DVD. At one of my clients they do a Backup daily onto a DVD, but this requires someone to change the discs, how safe is it to use an external hdd

i2omani
06-15-2008, 09:16 AM
What do you reccomend for the Storage medium, an external HDD or a DVD. At one of my clients they do a Backup daily onto a DVD, but this requires someone to change the discs, how safe is it to use an external hdd

DVD life span will start to get corrupted after 2 yrs, thats if it is just laying on the shelf, i will think it will be less if you are using it!

bagellad
06-16-2008, 03:39 AM
thanks for the help, looks good. In regards to where to backup I would suggest an external harddrive with automated program or a regular offsite backup place with a monthly dvd backup or something. Just my two cents.

mh348
06-16-2008, 09:06 AM
DVD life span will start to get corrupted after 2 yrs, thats if it is just laying on the shelf, i will think it will be less if you are using it!

They have 6 discs, one for each day of the week. So every Monday they use the Monday Disc, Tuesday the Tuesday Disc and so on, that way if there was something wrong with the last backup, they use the one from the previous day.

Andyuk2007
06-19-2008, 01:14 PM
can you use an external hard drive with this program at all so it backs them up to that ?

mh348
06-27-2008, 06:18 PM
With Acronis, whats the best backup option & how do I set it to overwrite previous backups?

tartis
06-27-2008, 07:54 PM
If it is important data, you want to always have multiple backups. If not, you may overwrite your good backup with bad data.

They also need to decide a retention schedule. How many years do I need to keep this data? If it is a business, there are laws governing email and data retention. You should always store backups in an off-site location in case of fire or disaster.

bagellad
06-29-2008, 04:11 AM
These are all good ideas, seems like there is a real opening for back up solutions since its the whole preventative thing.. you don't have to wait for them to have a problem with the computer etc. Do you guys have any packages for backing up you offer? Like setup and so much storage? Different backup solutions?

Wheelie
06-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Quick backup tips - So a customer wants you to store all their pictures, word files, business files etc off their old computer. Is there any program you use to automate this process? Or just do a lot of "find" searches? Maybe copy the whole hard drive? I am looking for how you do it on-site if possible.
I ususally have them sit down with me and we look at the PC's files and folders while discussing what to back up. This puts the burden on them (sort of).

The goal of any back up plan is to store critical data in (at least) 2 places (sometimes 3).

Another thought: business customer or residential customer? Residential customers = usually DVD, another PC or external hard disk will be OK (or even online).

Business customers = tape drive and rotate tapes daily off-site. Plus you have to periodically do a restore from random tapes to ensure you are archiving real data.

I have one business customer that we rotate tapes off-site and do backups to an external USB drive on-site. The server and external disk are in a room behind a locked door.

Redundancy is cool. QuickBooks is very important at one customer site so he additionally subscribes to the QuickBooks online backup service so that file is pushed online daily.