PDA

View Full Version : Watch Out for Phony Repair Requests In Your Emails

neilp02
04-13-2011, 12:43 PM
As a new member, hope I am not posting this in the wrong place, but wanted others to be aware that I received a request to service 7 laptops the other day in my email. I am highly suspicious that this could be part of a bogus or illegal operation. I did reply that I provide servicing through remote support etc. and the party wanting me to perform the service is asking me to accept delivery of the laptops as such. I have declined that type of arrangement, as I am suspicious of this as such. If they want the service then they should be able to accomplish it via remote support in this case, in my opinion. So, if anyone else receives any emails like the one, I received you might want to check it out good before you accept their offer. Just wanted to make folks aware that there may be scams going on in this area.
Thanks again and sorry if, I misposted.

Cadishead Computers
04-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Good post, and thanks for reminding members. This is simply an old scam which has been going round in circles for many years.

Chances are they will want to ship the laptops off to you, mail you a check which is highly inflated, and then want you to send a chq back to them for the 'overpayment'.

wtigger
04-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Definitely, SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trenatos
04-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Oh yeah, get this about once a week.. lol

BryanLee
04-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Yeah they usually read something like....

Hello sir,
I am in "foreign country here". I am in need of computer services. I have 25 computers and need the following list of crap done to all of my computers.

Blah blah blah.......

Xander
04-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Any tech who falls for these things must give gawdawful advice to their customers.

"Yes, ma'am. I'm sure you can get some great pharmaceuticals from those emails. Yes, I am sure they will help your husband with his 'little problem'"