PDA

View Full Version : Any alternative to LMI Free for free commercial unattended access?

seashore
04-05-2011, 08:05 PM
My customer would like to access her office PC from home. Her office PC will be unattended so whatever remote software I install will need to run as a service. Ideally I'd just set her up with LogMeIn Free - but I already have it installed on there as my remote support tool. I think I've checked out every other alternative - am I right in saying there's nothing else that matches LMI Free in terms of being free for commercial use and also able to run as a service, or am I missing something? Thanks.

BryanVest
04-05-2011, 08:48 PM
My customer would like to access her office PC from home. Her office PC will be unattended so whatever remote software I install will need to run as a service. Ideally I'd just set her up with LogMeIn Free - but I already have it installed on there as my remote support tool. I think I've checked out every other alternative - am I right in saying there's nothing else that matches LMI Free in terms of being free for commercial use and also able to run as a service, or am I missing something? Thanks.

Her connecting to her office PC would not be commercial use.

TenYardFight
04-05-2011, 08:57 PM
I believe it is. I know TV considers it as such...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

seashore
04-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Her connecting to her office PC would not be commercial use.

Yes it is. From the TeamViewer website:

How exactly is 'private use' defined?

As private use we understand any use of TeamViewer for purposes that are neither directly nor indirectly paid. It is not about whether the service itself is paid but whether the service is rendered within the context of the creation of an added value with some kind of financial compensation.

Examples for an indirect payment:
* a software company sells a software product for which it offers free support via TeamViewer
* teamwork among colleagues within a company
* use in associations and non-profit organizations with non-volunteer (i.e. paid) employees
* access to a company computer for work-related activities
In the abovementioned cases TeamViewer is used for creating an added value, the payment takes place indirectly through salaries or a combination of sales/support activities.

In any case, a use of TeamViewer with family and friends without any financial compensation is considered private use.

Xander
04-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Of course it's commercial use. She's not connecting to her work computer from home to play Minefield.

SmithFamilyDesigns
04-06-2011, 02:24 AM
For long term unattended access, I've always used uVnc (http://uvnc.com/download/index.html). It takes some configuration, but it is nice as far as being standalone, run as a service, etc. You can also configure it to use MS security for login auth as well as being able to access the computer from a java-capable web browser. The drawback, you have to know the external IP of the computer's location and you have to configure port forwarding in the router (upnp is iffy at best). Worth looking at though

Janisbrits
04-06-2011, 01:20 PM
You can also try gbridge. Used it with great success at a client of mine. Also allows you to access folders with dns adressing. It can auto login when the computer starts up.

Mick
04-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Not sure exactly what your client is hoping to do when she remotely accesses, but might something like Tonido do the trick? I'm not allowed to post links, I'm afraid, but Google will find it for you.

4ycr
04-06-2011, 02:40 PM
is it just one pc she needs to access? if it is why not use remote desktop? use dyndns for address and open up ports on router and firewall. I have a client that uses this and is happy with it

Jory
04-07-2011, 12:14 AM
You are allowed to use LMI free for commercial use.

I would suggest putting her computer on it's own account, and then you two can share the login details. Personally I do the same thing, but for every LogMeIn account I use the sign up email as my gmail address with something added to the end using '+'. For example if your gmail address is example@gmail.com you would use example+sally@gmail.com for Sally's computer. All the email will be delivered to your normal address.

Frank
04-07-2011, 02:17 AM
is it just one pc she needs to access? if it is why not use remote desktop? use dyndns for address and open up ports on router and firewall. I have a client that uses this and is happy with it

+ 1 That's what I'd do.

kc0eks
04-07-2011, 06:49 AM
If you have Logmein Central you can add another user to your account, and allow access to only her computer...

works well.

wtigger
04-10-2011, 02:41 AM
UltraVNC and dyndns account with an "update client" for dyndns are the best options, all free and legal :-) But unfortunately, UltraVNC needs certain port(s) opened in the router/firewall beforehand :-( ...

I like Teamviewer, but unfortunately it's NOT free for commercial use, but someday I do plan on buying the commercial license. It eliminates the other issues... And I don't have to make an initial visit for setup like the first option...

seashore
04-10-2011, 06:24 AM
Thanks to all for your suggestions.