PDA

View Full Version : Wireless setup what do I need?

bnrr
06-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Hi guys
I would like to set up a wireless for my cable internet for the computers that I use in my home. As for a start off, what do I need for the set up? do I need more then one hardware components. I have internet cables going from my cable modem which is in the living room going into 2 rooms. there are 3 desktops and 2 laptops. A friend had told me that I would have to purchase a wireless singal box and a wireless router and wireless cards for the desktop.
is this correct? I do not want to jump right in and purchase these components and then find out the hard way it is not right components. my internet speed is 100mbps and OS is XP and vista. thanks for the tech help.

ootuoyetahi
06-10-2008, 12:47 PM
You need a wireless router, and wireless NIC cards for the desktop, and any laptop that doesnt have one built in.

JayTech
06-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Hi you will need a wireless router as said above but this will have to be connected to the cable modem so you will need a dsl router. You will also need a wireless nic card or a wireless usb device.

Blues
06-11-2008, 01:03 PM
you will need a wireless router as said above but this will have to be connected to the cable modem so you will need a dsl router
I only have one response to this... what?!
He only wants to convert his exsisting network into a wireless which means he already has any cable or dsl related equipment. In this case cable equipment so does not need any dsl equipment. He will need one wireless router any speed will work the question is range but Im sure 802.11g is fine I don't know what n networks cost yet. For any computer you want wireless that does not have it built in you will need a wireless adapter. The adapters can be a card for the PC or laptop or a USB device.

Simmy
06-11-2008, 02:04 PM
I don't see what's wrong with what JayTech said? You will need a wireless DSL/Cable router as an ADSL router will not work with the cable modem.

JayTech
06-11-2008, 04:11 PM
I thought he meant cable internet as provided by sky or virgin not cable as in cat5 cable. simple mistake to make Blues!!!!!

Blues
06-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Sorry for my outburst but you know how it can be after you just spent some time fixing other peoples mistakes to find another mistake someone has made. I do see now what you were getting at but from his post what stands out to suggest that there is no need is the following quote.
I have internet cables going from my cable modem which is in the living room going into 2 rooms. there are 3 desktops and 2 laptops.
That suggest that it is an existing network and it is not DSL to begin with however I do concede that I may not have the right idea and reading things wrong.

JayTech
06-12-2008, 08:30 AM
yes i know what it is like fixing others peoples miatakes. I agree this post can be interpreted in different ways. It was because of the mention of a "cable modem" in the post that got me.
JayTech

JohnG
06-12-2008, 01:08 PM
By wireless signal box...I'm assuming you mean a wifi range extender. If you are planning being able to take your laptops outdoors, or you have a very large home, then, yes you do need one. If not then a wireless router, 3 wireless pc cards will suffice.

Blues
06-12-2008, 05:26 PM
If I am not mistaken N has a broder range so if range is an issue an N router would take care of that and likely at the same or less cost then the two seperate devices would. I ofcourse agian repeat I don't know the current prices on N gear so it may be more to go that route but it does give you a single piece of hardware where the prior setup uses two.

JohnG
06-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Blues you are correct with N having a broader range, but most existing laptops are still not yet up to date with that standard.

bnrr
06-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Hey guys, looks like my post for a wireless network setup seem to have create some confusion. well I would like to clear the air in regards to my internet setup.
I have a cable internet with a speed of up to 100Mbps, router with a cat5 cable connected to 3 desktop and 2 laptops in 3 rooms and living room. I just want to set the wireless in which all the computers and laptop would be able to access the internet without the use of the cat5 cable. all the replys are very good advice but seem to be a little confuse as of now, but informative. I just need step by step and description of the equiment that I need for the setup. thanks

JohnG
06-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Well bnrr, we could actually use a bit more info from you as well. For instance, the laptops you list are they an older model in which you would need a wireless card for or do they have built in/onboard wireless capability? What size area (square footage)do you expect your wireless network to occupy? Thinking about expanding the network in the future? Are there any security concerns...are you streaming video and audio? Pretty much, any kind of details you can think of.

bnrr
06-16-2008, 05:31 AM
Well actually JohnG what am trying to do is to go wireless, I would like to switch from using cat5 cables and router that extends from the living room to 3 different room of my home. I want to get rid of it, because there is always someone triping over the cables in which would cause the computer to move from its original position. the use of wireless is only for close distance, like just out on my poarch (cable modem is close by) in the kitchen, and bedrooms, and the distance is not more then or less then 2 square feet (not sure about the distance), what I am trying to say is that my home is kind of small.
As for laptops it does have a built in wireless, just the desktop in which I am so sure that I would have to add a card for the wireless. I only surf the internet just like an average user, not business likewise. No streaming video and audio,no file or printer sharing etc.. I do not plan to expand the wireless network in the future.
Systems:
HP nx6110 notebook
Twinhead durabook R15D notebook
PC: Gigabyte: GA-K8N51GMF-9 nVIDA GeForce 6100
AMD 64-3500+ processor 939 socket.
DDR4/2gigabytes
HD 250gigs/WD/SATA
I hope the information is more then enough or informative in what you need to know for my setup. Thanks.

Blues
06-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Well it really sounds like you need just a basic wireless cable/dsl router and a pci or usb wireless adapter for the desktop.

JohnG
06-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Yep, pretty much...:)

bnrr
06-18-2008, 12:34 PM
OK, guys I went ahead, purchase the hardware that is mention in the post:
Trendnet 300Mbps N Home Router.
Trendnet 108Mbps 802.11g PCI adapter.
I had follow the instruction in the users manual,had ecounter the following error:
router: Error 311 router setup cannot run over a wireless connection.
connection?? I am not connected to any wireless.
PCI adapter: Error executing file: D:\Utility\Setup.exe. The requested operation requires elevation. elevation?? I have to set my computer high as??
the installation of the programs cannot continue because of this errors. in the router when the installation was also trying to detect the PCI wireless card it gave a message that it cannot dectect any PCI adapter, so I installed the card and try the installation again, and receive the same message of no dectection of the adapter. anyway what I am going to do is try the hardware without the programs in the computer and see what happens. by the way I log in to the trendnet websit and tech support for the problems that I am experiencing in the FAQ, and there is no listing of the said issues and the only way to contact support is by phone, now that would be kind of hard on my side because of different time zones. Thanks.

Blues
06-18-2008, 02:26 PM
What OS are you using when installing these? I never use the CDs for the router I just hardwire a desktop into it pull up the IP address of it and do the setup there. You may need to go online and find the default IP address for that router.

bnrr
06-19-2008, 06:48 AM
OK, I setup the router and the NIC card, everything seems to be working just fine, but the speed of the wireless from the router to the PC is only 54Mbps, and the speed of my broadband is 100Mbps, is there anything wrong with this or just a normal thing?
If I need to go onlinge find the default IP address for the router do you mean that I would have to visit the trendnet website? or do I have to use the command prompt and use the ipconfig command. The OS is vista home that I have setup the router for the computer and when everything goes right the other computers that I would setup the wireless is XP home and pro. Thanks Blues

Blues
06-19-2008, 05:21 PM
Firstly I don't think any internet provider is running 100Mbps that is jjust the speed of wired connections you had used before your actual internet is probly in the range of 6-12Mbps. Wireless has a standard speed of 54Mbps and I honeslty never see a real need for more. The only things I find difficult to do is stream audio/video that is near DVD quality. Im not even sure that is difficult I think its just usually my torrents cuasing the errors.

It seems you have it working so you don't need to do anything more really but yes I was saying to go to trendnet's website. Sometimes you can use ipconfig to get the ipaddress but it doesn't always work.

bnrr
06-23-2008, 10:54 PM
OK, everytning was just going great with the wireless and the PC, but just for 3 days when I tried using the laptops with the wireless. the laptops I was using with the wireless are, Acer Aspire 3680 and toshiba satellite pro, Acer with vista home and toshiba with vista preimum. both laptops are connected to the trendnet wireless router, but not to the internet. commputer ------ trendent (connected) -------- internet (not connected) diagnose result:
trendnet: signal- very good, all bars are lit green.
Internet: no connecton, plug ethernet cable. reset router, reset IP address, firewall preventing IP, DNS not responding call ISP administrator.
I had follow all the troubleshooting tips from both vista and trendnet, but still the same results.(these are on the laptops only.)
since I could not work out the issures with the laptops, I went on to use the PC since I know that the wireless is working great with it. while log in to technibble and making this post(yesterday)and click on the post quick reply button, I got the IE message 'web page cannot be displayed' What!!!.. and with network diagnose it gave the same results as mention with the laptops. Since I am not getting any internet connection with the wireless I had convert back to wire connection, so I could do the post all over again.
also wireless router is hot to the touch, the router is setup away from anything that could cause interference and is set on top of a wooden cabet that is at least 8 feet high and is centered in the middle of the living room. I made sure that the leds are working (flashing in a normal blinking) and the cable modem as well. as for the ISP, I called and explained the problems and they said that they would reset the DNS.
could you guys analyze this issue and provide a working solutions. Thainks

Blues
06-24-2008, 01:33 PM
The heat to me suggestion a device failure in the router you might have a lemon.

brewcrewxl
06-24-2008, 10:47 PM
First things first, I would take the ethernet cable plugged into the back of the router (from the modem) and plug it into your computer. Restart the network connection on that computer so that it picks up the cable modems address (if it hasn't automatically). If you are still getting a limited connection (no internet), then the problem is at the cable modem and not your network. Power cycle the modem (unplug the power and plug it back in)and check the internet connection again. Ensure that the lights on the modem are doing what they are supposed to. If you're not sure tell us what make/model modem you have. If you can access the modem ip address (typically 192.168.100.1) you should be able to pull the log and signal properties to see if they are in spec. Sometimes if the modem is out of spec it will start resetting repeatedly causing your internet connection to be sporadic. If that the case call your cable company. Hide the router when they come because they will blame it on that without checking the modems signal.

My guess is that this is where your problem is starting. However...

If you are receiving an internet connection when connected to the modem directly, you'll want to look at the router settings (insdie the router using the router's ip address). First connect everything back up like you had it before connecting directly to the modem. Pull up the routers ip address to access its menu. If you have a cable modem sometimes your ip address changes (you have to pay extra for it not to). Ensure the router is set to dynamic so that it will find the ip address if it changes. Normally it is automatically set to that by default, however, some people mistakely set it to the ip address from their modem not realizing it changes. Save any changes and power cycle the router (unplug the power and plug it back in). Once everything is up and going try your internet connection again.

I say this because you said your computers are wirelessly connecting to the router, just not the internet, so the wireless part of the router is connecting. So we should not need to troubleshoot that. By trouble shooting it in the order described you should be able to determine where your problem is occurring. Heat is bad, of course, but it doesn't sound like the problem if your wireless laptops are able to connect to the router.

brewcrewxl
06-24-2008, 11:06 PM
Your broadband connection is not 100Mbps. The network card is capable of processing 100Mbps. If the wireless from the router to the pc is running at only 54Mbps then the router is either set individual wireless connections to 54Mbps or the card/adapter in the pc you are referring to is only 54 Mbps. This is only how fast it lets you talk to the other computers on your network. The broadband connection will still only be whatever the Mbps your service provider offers.

bnrr
06-25-2008, 10:29 AM
First of all I would like to thank everyone for their replys for all the help for my wireless setup. all the advice had given me a great insight as how to proceed with wireless technical issues. The problem has been resolved. in the replys I just kept reading over and over, and it occure to me that everything is focus on just the routehr itself. So I began to look at the wireless adapter card and thought maybe I should test it. I look at the lights and it was blinking alright, it just blinks from top to bottom, not at the same time sort of like one at a time. I then remove it from the first PCI slot that it was installed and install it on the second PCI slot. the lights turn on after windows boot up and it was not the same as in the first slot, both lights turn on at the same time and just kept on flashing at the same time. check network map on the connection and it show that I was connected to the internet in which I am doing this post. before I log on to technibble I got the BSD reading that there is a hardware problem and it needs to shut down, I know what the problem hardware is, the first PCI slot, it is not working properly in which I tested by installing a video card and it did not work. the laptops is also connected to the internet, I went around my home checking for the signal and range for connectivity, I even went outside of my home, pass with no problems. The only thing that I do not understand, adapter card is not working properly why is it that the laptops could not work also, since it already has a built in wireless. Is that how the system works, one device not working all other device on the netowrk does not work also, is that right. Well anyway fellows many thanks

Blues
06-25-2008, 01:38 PM
If the PCI wi-fi card was malfunctioning it could cause interferance or have been atempting an ad-hoc mode and the laptops picked that up.