PDA

View Full Version : Ultra-X P.H.D. PCI2 -- Worth the $?

BadgerPC
06-10-2008, 05:54 AM
Does anyone use or have used the Ultra-X P.H.D. PCI2? I am thinking about purchasing one so I am interested in some feedback. Its not cheap, but is it worth the money?

generalj
06-10-2008, 06:45 AM
I don't think its worth the money, you can determine the same thing with a little experience. I can easily troubleshoot a non posting system with just a few minutes. Most systems give beep codes that you can look up to find out what the problem is and if it just does not fire up then the first thing is to check the psu, is it working? is it connected correctly? Very easy to do this kind of thing without some expensive card imho.

Does anyone use or have used the Ultra-X P.H.D. PCI2? I am thinking about purchasing one so I am interested in some feedback. Its not cheap, but is it worth the money?

BadgerPC
06-10-2008, 08:13 PM
What about the times when the symptoms could be about anything? For instance random freezing & random rebooting and there are no beep codes. It could be power supply, memory, processor, overheating, video card, hard drive, motherboard, OS, etc. I have spend hours swapping components and running long diagnostic software only to determine the motherboard was bad by a process of elimination. Do you have any suggestions for troubleshooting those types of issues? How do you test a motherboard if you do not have a card like that?

Simmy
06-10-2008, 09:04 PM
PSUs, CPUs, RAM, Hard Drives and Graphics cards don't take long to change. If it's none of them then it's the motherboard. You can also test the RAM and hard drive with UBCD without having to physically touch the components.

I agree with generalj, save your money and diagnose it the old fashioned way.

How expensive are they out of interest?

BadgerPC
06-10-2008, 09:34 PM
They are quite expensive. They retail for $995.00.

generalj
06-11-2008, 06:52 AM
Troubleshooting symptom's like that is real easy, I usually check the os if I can get in to it. I check event viewer to see if anything could be casing it is listed in there. I then would usually boot with bart pe or ubcd to run hardware diagnostics on all components, if nothing is bad there, you know more then likely its a software problem, usually a driver, I would reinstall all drivers for video, sound, network and chipset usually.

Then another way to troubleshoot is to take out all components/devices not needed to boot. e.g extra sticks of ram, extra pci cards, extra hard drives, extra connected via usb etc. and boot, then one by one but them in till the problem is back, Its just a process of elimination and once you learn the basics you can troubleshoot really quickly, also once you have troubleshot like this for a bit you can come up to a pc and see the same symptom and immediately tell what the main cause could be and go straight for it.

*edit* As a real life example. My uncle drove down this week with his computer that crashed. I did not know the exact problem that he stated but he tried to format his drive and reinstall windows to fix it but windows would hang at random spots during the installation while copying files from the cd drive. I have had ton of these cases in the past and almost all were due to a scratched up bad windows cd. So the first thing I did when he brought it down was to check the cd. hrmmm the cd looked like mint condition. So the next problem is if the CD drive is going bad??? hrrmm, I through a spare drive in, also note that I went ahead and placed a new ide cdrom cable into the machine too because I have had those cause problems too...hmmm same problem windows kept hanging during install. SO I thought well maybe the cd is bad after all and just not any noticeable marks on it. SO I threw a boot cd in, UBCD4win and it would not finish booting to it, so I tried one more boot cd for good measure (linux livecd) hmm it would not boot either. So that took about 15 mins to do and I came to a conclusion. The ide cdrom controller on the main board was faulty. So I threw the hard drive into another machine and used all the same cables and cdrom and what do you know??? windows installed just fine. So I told him either new pc, new mainboard, or we could tr using a usb cdrom and bypass the onboard cdrom controller.