PDA

View Full Version : Need Firewall / Backup suggestions for Server 2003/small network

ClickCntrlCmmd
04-01-2011, 03:41 AM
Server 2003 and the workstations are running XP. I need a firewall in place to help protect these guys from people trying to get in... It's not like a financial services business where there's a lot of people's personal data-just business data mainly that I'd like to have secured more. I've been looking into a hardware firewall, however, I'm trying to find something in the $400/$500 range to fit my customers budget. Can anyone suggest a good hardware firewall in that price range or a software one that would do the trick? They don't have a VPN, they login remotely either thru RDC or Logmein, so I just need to be able to forward/open ports for them.

Also, I'm looking for backup software to backup the server and to also backup the workstations... Can any recommend freeware or something affordable that works well?

Trenatos
04-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Id' suggest looking at ClearOS or SME Server, they should do all you need and they have free options so you can put a few $$ on hardware to run it on instead of a license.

Techless
04-01-2011, 04:41 PM
I suggest mapping the Documents folder from the workstations to a user folder on the server. You can then use a backup program and two USB harddrives (to swap out daily) to backup the server. If you want to save on cost use NT Backup instead of purchasing backup software.

That leaves you a good amount of money to buy a proper firewall.

ClickCntrlCmmd
04-02-2011, 12:19 AM
My Documents and Desktop is mapped to the server on the workstations... All I really need to grab off the workstations daily is outlook data file, address book, and favorites...one machine I've gotta grab the quickbooks data file.

dbdawn
04-02-2011, 01:00 AM
My Documents and Desktop is mapped to the server on the workstations... All I really need to grab off the workstations daily is outlook data file, address book, and favorites...one machine I've gotta grab the quickbooks data file.
Why don't you just script the backups? Would make your job much easier.

Knightsman
04-02-2011, 01:15 AM
How much space do you need for the backup?

ClickCntrlCmmd
04-02-2011, 08:45 PM
175GB I'd say.

I'd also like to be able to do an image of the server...

jdpetrov
04-12-2011, 04:28 AM
I'm currently looking into Webroot SaaS options. They seem to be more flexible than end-point or hardware solutions, and more effective. I've got a call out to them for more information (specifically pricing) so I should have more information soon.

MobileTechie
04-12-2011, 08:42 AM

You can move the outlook data etc to the server too. Having all data on the server and hence one backup point is one of the advantages of using a server.

ProTech-MN
04-12-2011, 01:58 PM
You can move the outlook data etc to the server too. Having all data on the server and hence one backup point is one of the advantages of using a server.

Just be aware that storing Outlook PST files on a network share isn't supported nor recommended by MS:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019

While often times it works without any complications, I have seen a few instances where it caused some Outlook & network issues.

As for the user's document folder - I would redirect those to a user's home directory on the server - easier to ensure their files get backed up from one central location.

-Randy

gikstar
04-12-2011, 03:49 PM
The most bang-for-the-buck firewall we have found is using an old computer of the clients', installing another network card, a small hard drive and then the Linux 'IPCOP'.

Quote: IPCOP - A secure Linux distribution managed through a web-interface. It turns an old PC into a firewall and VPN gateway. Features an Intrusion Detection System. http://www.ipcop.org/

We have recommended it and installed it for a number of our clients.

Jake77444
04-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Cisco ASA 5505.............

anth
04-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Pfsense, awesome.....very secure! Good enough for major corporation good enough for me. It's like the iron curtain..and it's the best price, Free.

Cuban_Tech
04-19-2011, 12:55 AM
For the firewall my 2 cents go to Snort. Warning: it is hard to set up.

Blues
04-19-2011, 06:18 PM
For back up as other have said redirect all data to the server I would consider doing a "roaming" profile if that can be done w/o exchange I have never tried to do it outside of an exchange network. This can replicate a users entire profile at log on and log off most you could lose is that days work. I believe Acronis has a reasonably priced backup solution you could run on the server to backup all data.

For the firewall I have used Sonicwall devices I would suggest looking at those they might hit around your limit but they are a good device.

ProTech-MN
04-21-2011, 02:03 PM
For back up as other have said redirect all data to the server I would consider doing a "roaming" profile if that can be done w/o exchange I have never tried to do it outside of an exchange network. This can replicate a users entire profile at log on and log off most you could lose is that days work. I believe Acronis has a reasonably priced backup solution you could run on the server to backup all data.

I'd avoid roaming profiles unless there is a specific need for them - especially on a 2003 server. They can add a lot of unnecessary network traffic and cause long logon/logoff times. Also be aware that while all the computers are XP today, adding a new Win 7 computer to the mix will muck up the works due to a totally different profile structure resulting in multiple profiles for the users.

Roaming profiles really only useful if the users are moving between computers - almost never the case in a small office. Don't get me wrong, they can be awesome if setup correctly, but a total PITA when they're not working right.

-Randy

Blues
04-21-2011, 04:00 PM
ProTech-MN I am well aware of it we are running Server 2003 & Exchange 2003 with XP & 7 machines with roaming profiles you can have it exclude sections which we do to speed up log on and log off times we also have them turned off for remote locations. The tricks to speeding up the log on and log off time is omitting "My Documents", just redirect it, and the "Local Settings" folder. The issue there though is that the .pst and .ost files are in "Local Settings" so that would not help the OPs situation. It take a lot of work to properly configure it but when its done it can be a great simple way to keep user data and setting from being lost.

Tony_Scarpelli
06-20-2011, 06:43 AM
The most bang-for-the-buck firewall we have found is using an old computer of the clients', installing another network card, a small hard drive and then the Linux 'IPCOP'.

Quote: IPCOP - A secure Linux distribution managed through a web-interface. It turns an old PC into a firewall and VPN gateway. Features an Intrusion Detection System. http://www.ipcop.org/

We have recommended it and installed it for a number of our clients.

Plus 1 on this one for the any old used workstation running icop this is better than most of the $500 hardware solutions with simple or more advanced configuration.

http://www.tgrmn.com/free/

I put all users my docs on the //server/public/username/

then backup the server.

If Outlook is used I have them configured to store on the exchange until deleted from the client. SO they have a copy on the server whether it is local or out on the web.

Alternatively you can move the pst, mail, address and favorites to folders in the Mydocs on the local machine and sync it using the www.tgrmn.com.