PDA

View Full Version : How to find health Insurance for self employeed computer repair guy w/ family

gsander
03-24-2011, 07:42 PM
I am kind of at a crossroads as my day job will be going away in a few months. One option is to try to grow my side business (computer repair) into a full time business. I know I will need to replace the health insurance I have been getting through my employeer but I don't know where to start - other than just Googling it. What are you guys doing?

Elemdee
03-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Will you have an opportunity to continue to keep (but pay more for, unfortunately) your current coverage through COBRA? That could buy you more time to keep your same plan while you search.

My husband did all the legwork on self-employment healthcare coverage for us so I can't tell you how to get there, but we ended up with Blue Cross/Blue Shield of NC, which is a major insurer here. Comparing plans was very confusing =P Google seems a good start as any just to point you in the right direction of providers in your area.

gsander
03-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Yes I will have the opportunity to use COBRA for the short term. Thanks for mentioning Blue Cross. I can call them up to start.