PDA

View Full Version : Tax write off?

Ender07
03-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Hey, I was wondering if I were to get a certification like MCDST or even COMPTIA A+, would the cost of said tests & test prep books/classes be qualified as a tax write off? On another note, what would you suggest for a Microsoft cert? I was thinking of MCDST or MCITP to help with getting a helpdesk job or possibly joining a local IT firm. Thanks!

TLE
03-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Don't bother with MCDST as it is being retired in June 2011.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/exam-dev.aspx#tab4

Ender07
03-23-2011, 05:05 PM
I thought it might still make sense though because so many small-medium business still run older versions of windows and alot are still on XP which is what the MCDST is focused on. I wasn't sure getting a MCITP would be worth it at this point because all the businesses I tend to work with don't have Windows 7, nor do most bigger businesses that need helpdesk people. Is it still a bad idea?

Knightsman
03-23-2011, 05:19 PM
You should be able to write it off, its a business expense.

TLE
03-23-2011, 05:24 PM
If you want it as a certification, don't bother, go for the MCITP, if you just want some additional training in XP, go for it.

To be honest when I did the MCDST I didn't feel that I learnt a huge amount of stuff, don't get me wrong, it was still useful. I did 70-680 and 70-685 last year, and I passed 70-686 yesterday :0)

You are going to see Windows 7 more and more, and businesses will start adopting it sooner or later.

Tony_Scarpelli
06-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Hey, I was wondering if I were to get a certification like MCDST or even COMPTIA A+, would the cost of said tests & test prep books/classes be qualified as a tax write off? On another note, what would you suggest for a Microsoft cert? I was thinking of MCDST or MCITP to help with getting a helpdesk job or possibly joining a local IT firm. Thanks!

I went with all the microsoft stuff but Today I would go with A+, N+, S+ and possibly Linux.

If you want a job, get certified, if you want to grow your business then just get the knowledge and also take some accounting, particularly managerial accounting and marketing classes.

If you are already in the computer industry taking more classes then yes they are tax deductable as on going training and continued education. However if you are in another career and cross training for a new career IRS says no.