PDA

View Full Version : Technibble Computer Repair Directory?

PhillyTech
03-17-2011, 05:48 AM
Sorry if this has been suggested before. I think Technibble should have a computer repair directory that lists computer repair companies. It would benefit everyone.

What do you guys think?

BryanVest
03-17-2011, 05:51 AM
Sorry if this has been suggested before. I think Technibble should have a computer repair directory that lists computer repair companies. It would benefit everyone.

What do you guys think?

I dont think this would have a benifit since it would be seen mostly by other tech business owners, but this has been discussed quite a few times search for more info.

Frankie0566
03-18-2011, 01:57 AM
Like BryanVest says it might not be a good thing 'cause it would only be viewed by technicians or people in the computer repair business.

However, a directory of suppliers would be nice. A list containing hardware and software suppliers would be nice. If it's a list of suppliers where you can buy things at discounted prices or in bulk.

gikstar
03-18-2011, 04:28 AM
I think it's a good idea. The people I want to see the listing are those in our business.
Why you ask?
Right now we partner with two other small tech companies in our general area - they normally service clients 30 to 60 miles away from us, but they do have some clients in our town.
As they have grown, they have the need for good qualified help, not just someone who can remove viruses.
We service some of their clients on a 50/50 fee split so we're still talking $65 an hour for us. Not bad money if you have the time available to service their client.
It is far cheaper than hiring an extra tech and if the other company has a good reputation and has been in business for some time, your chances of loosing a client to an unscrupulous tech in near nill.
Also, if one of your clients opens an office in a distant city, you will have a resource to go to - to partner with to be able to service the client's new office.

Personally, we have been interviewing tech companies to handle a client that is about 60 miles awayÖ the managed service agreement will be about $5k+ a month. We donít want to lose $30k a year because we donít have enough people to service the client, we rather keep the client and have another tech company, maybe a mile away, service them.

So, I think itís a great idea and I think there should be a uniform checkoff skillset sheet letting us know what skill each tech company can handle. If the client needs a tech with experience with Exchange Server 2010, SQL server 2010, Baracuda Email Archiver server, Microsoft Sharepoint Administration, we need to know that!

TimJacobs
03-18-2011, 07:22 AM
I think it's a good idea. The people I want to see the listing are those in our business.
Why you ask?
Right now we partner with two other small tech companies in our general area - they normally service clients 30 to 60 miles away from us, but they do have some clients in our town.
As they have grown, they have the need for good qualified help, not just someone who can remove viruses.
We service some of their clients on a 50/50 fee split so we're still talking $65 an hour for us. Not bad money if you have the time available to service their client.
It is far cheaper than hiring an extra tech and if the other company has a good reputation and has been in business for some time, your chances of loosing a client to an unscrupulous tech in near nill.
Also, if one of your clients opens an office in a distant city, you will have a resource to go to - to partner with to be able to service the client's new office.

Personally, we have been interviewing tech companies to handle a client that is about 60 miles awayÖ the managed service agreement will be about $5k+ a month. We donít want to lose $30k a year because we donít have enough people to service the client, we rather keep the client and have another tech company, maybe a mile away, service them.

So, I think itís a great idea and I think there should be a uniform checkoff skillset sheet letting us know what skill each tech company can handle. If the client needs a tech with experience with Exchange Server 2010, SQL server 2010, Baracuda Email Archiver server, Microsoft Sharepoint Administration, we need to know that!

That is a great idea, but do you really know what everyone knows...... I know only a few people on here that I would trust my clients too.... I will not say their names....

I can say that I work on everything from Windows 3.1 to SBS 2011 but you wouldn't really know, would you???

Painless
03-18-2011, 07:31 AM
However, a directory of suppliers would be nice. A list containing hardware and software suppliers would be nice. If it's a list of suppliers where you can buy things at discounted prices or in bulk.

Have a wee search of the forum. There was an excellent thread about a month ago.

Sorry I can't give you the link but there are limitations on using my phone to view the forum.

TimJacobs
03-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Have a wee search of the forum. There was an excellent thread about a month ago.

Sorry I can't give you the link but there are limitations on using my phone to view the forum.

The reason he couldn't find it is because it is in the Tech Only Section.... He just got past his 5 post (if it is still 5 post and 5 days) limit.

So go browse the Tech Only Section..... You will find it.

gikstar
03-19-2011, 06:39 AM
That is a great idea, but do you really know what everyone knows...... I know only a few people on here that I would trust my clients too.... I will not say their names....

I can say that I work on everything from Windows 3.1 to SBS 2011 but you wouldn't really know, would you???

MY suggestion was: there should be a uniform checkoff skillset sheet letting us know what skill each tech company can handle

But that is only the beginning... a system could be setup similar to what eBay uses for sellers whereas the buyers rate the sellers based on the quality of the work performed.
Right now we know next to nothing about the members of Technibble. A lot of times I don't know what country the person lives/works in when they post a question.
Obviously to be part of this special group all information would have to be available and also there may have to be a closed site for only those members themselves to participate in.