PDA

View Full Version : IE9 out today

tf76
03-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Will Microsoft get back people to use this instead of firefox and chrome?

Time will tell.

Source : http://www.windows7news.com/2011/03/14/internet-explorer-9-released-today/

phaZed
03-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Doubt it. MS is still on their high horse. It is "the most compliant browser to date" from Microsoft, yet they are still adding pointless features that are accessed only from pages written for IE9. Great. I guess market share has to be under 50% before they fall in line.

Xander
03-14-2011, 06:30 PM
IE8 has been out for ages and I still go to houses where they have never gone through the first-time wizard OR they've got those lag-adding accelerators. If Firefox forced addons, they'd never get anywhere. Unless the final IE9 drops accelerators and adds limits on ActiveX, I won't be recommending it.

dgiles79
03-14-2011, 07:59 PM
It's defintely an improvement over 8 (in my opinion), but not enough that it would make me switch from Chrome.

iisjman07
03-14-2011, 08:07 PM
If Microsoft ditched the 'Browser Choice' thing they've got going then I feel it would do a lot better

Ccomp5950
03-14-2011, 08:28 PM
If Microsoft ditched the 'Browser Choice' thing they've got going then I feel it would do a lot better

I don't think microsoft has a choice in it, EU antitrust pretty much forced them to do so.

KompuKare
03-14-2011, 08:40 PM
It is "the most compliant browser to date" from Microsoft, yet they are still adding pointless features that are accessed only from pages written for IE9. Great. I guess market share has to be under 50% before they fall in line.

Hm, I don't think the Microsoft leopard is ever going to change it's spots that much. The way they operate is to 'lever' anything they can to gain and maintain marketshare.

Whether that means rushing out Office with full VBA support and no security (and then coming down like a ton of bricks with the FBI when someone exploits this), or getting as many sites as possible to use proprietary IE6/7/8/9 extensions, or in general leaving security holes everywhere to push Office VBA and similar. Granted these were past mistakes but Microsoft haven't changed and will make similar mistakes in the future. Microsoft and standards and security are a nightmare and pretty much precisely because marketing and marketshare ambitions almost always trump caution and good design.

Having said all that, Visual Studio does have very good integration. I was looking at some simple Android development (since I have a phone) and compared Windows Mobile (not Windows Phone 7) the IDEs are very, very poor especially the GUI building. Actually, WM probably had the easiest IDE out there: porting VB or C# code over is almost only a matter of getting stuff to scale to the screen.

Irony is, that Windows Phone 7 is as restricted as the iPhone and their determination to lever the xbox platform has made the IDE a lot more complex for simple stuff.

ajc196
03-14-2011, 10:59 PM
I said it on another forum, but this is how I see IE9: Power users will stick to Chrome/FF/Opera, and people who simply use the "big blue E" for internet will be much better off online and get the underlying enhancements they need for the modern internet standards they know nothing about. Provided they don't ignore the update, that is.

Velvis
03-15-2011, 03:03 AM
Is it just me or do you guys find it insane that the install of IE asks what seems like 15 freaking questions when first run?

I drives me crazy that they think its a good idea to bombard some one with all that crap. 99% of people have no idea what all that crap is, or how and why to set it all.

Sometimes the things MS does blows my mind.

How about 1 simple question with checkboxes, what search engine do you prefer?

I think I installed Chrome and it had 2 questions on one page that were simple.

Microsoft just doesnt get it.

callthatgirl
03-15-2011, 03:26 AM
Doesn't work with logmeinrescue. :mad:

I tested it and without LMIR, I was doomed and had to use FF all the time, which I hated, so I switched computers and gave it to one of my interns.

GO IE4 FTW!!!

tf76
03-15-2011, 05:03 AM
Doesn't work with logmeinrescue. :mad:

I tested it and without LMIR, I was doomed and had to use FF all the time, which I hated, so I switched computers and gave it to one of my interns.

GO IE4 FTW!!!

Are using the official release version or beta?

I've tried searching for it on google and can't find it. It also hasn't shown up in win update yet?

callthatgirl
03-15-2011, 01:25 PM
beta.

I saw it when I was reset my IE settings, the official release may have it repaired, but I think it's LMIR not IE9 to be honest.

gunslinger
03-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Looks to me like they "barrowed" most of their new look from Chrome.

AlexSno
03-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Looks to me like they "barrowed" most of their new look from Chrome.

That is my impression 2. But if we think a little this could be a good impact on that old hard to fallow IE

TLE
03-15-2011, 02:30 PM
I originally tried out the beta but found it was slow, and would hang after using it for a few hours. It was also eating memory as there appeared to be a leak somewhere. I uninstalled it and only recently put the RC back on hoping that these kind of issues had been fixed.

However, I am still seeing the same symptoms but I don't think this is an issue with IE. I will be reinstalling W7 shortly now that the installs on Technet include SP1.

tf76
03-15-2011, 02:32 PM
beta.

I saw it when I was reset my IE settings, the official release may have it repaired, but I think it's LMIR not IE9 to be honest.

Far out where do you get these abbreviations from? :)

I tried looking up LMIR and couldn't find it.

If you use a specific site please do tell

Regards

sys-eng
03-17-2011, 05:07 PM
I know that there are many folks who want the old IE6 which did indeed load many web pages better. The fact is that a lot of webpages are not compliant to the standards of webpages due to not being updated, peculiarlities of developing program, hacks, etc. . Many of those webpages to not load properly in IE8 because Microsoft thought it is time to stop accomodating noncompliant web sites. I agree.

Browsers such as Firefox are more vulnerable because they readily open web pages that are malicious either by design or by an attack hack. While IE8 did cause some frustration, it noticeably reduced the number of infections through web sites.

It is my experience that a disproportionate percentage of my customers with infections are NOT using IE8. They trusted that Firefox was more secure than IE which was true before IE8 but not now.

The official webstie is at: http://windows.microsoft.com/IE9

I am looking forward to more business as customers discover their web applications have noncomplioant hooks into Windows or IE6 that will not work with IE9.

ATTech
03-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Far out where do you get these abbreviations from? :)

I tried looking up LMIR and couldn't find it.

If you use a specific site please do tell

Regards

...logmeinrescue

... LMIR ...

And stop tagging threads with your name.