PDA

View Full Version : Taking ownership of mac files via ubuntu

quinnlaup
03-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Hey folks,

I am trying to files from a customers Macbook Pro via ubuntu. I can mount the file system and view all files except those in the "users" folder. When i attempt to either view or copy these files i get an error which says it is not possible because i do not "own" the files. A quick google search says that this should be possible using the chown command, but because i am a complete noob to all things ubuntu i am not sure of the exact syntax to use? Please excuse my ignorance i would really appreciate any help.

kind regards

quinnlaup

Ccomp5950
03-07-2011, 03:47 PM
If you take ownership of the files then when you try to open them in the mac later you won't be able to (and you can't chown them back to the account that had them previously since that account doesn't exist on your computer).

If that doesn't matter to you...

sudo chown YOUR_USER_NAME -R /location/of/file/system/you/mounted

an easier solution that won't involve you haven't to mess with file permissiosn on the mounted system would be for you to open nautilus as root

gksudo nautilus

The only problem I see with it is if you copy and paste the file out onto your desktop it being owned by root but that's easily fixed with chown too.

sudo chown YOUR_USER_NAME -R ~

which will give you ownership of everything in your home directory (including your desktop directory)

hope that helps.

iisjman07
03-07-2011, 04:13 PM
If you take ownership of the files then when you try to open them in the mac later you won't be able to

If it matters than use 'dd' to clone the mac's drive, then after you've 'owned' (;)) the files, restore the clone back with all the file ownerships

quinnlaup
03-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks for your quick replies guys the plan is to be able to give the customer a copy of the files. The macbook itself has a motherboard fault so if we can get it repaired successfully the HDD will go straight back into it. I will post back if i have any difficulties thanks again for your help

anonymous Mac Tech
03-07-2011, 07:53 PM
There is actually a much easier way to do what you want and it would literally only take another Mac, a firewire cable (or external HD dock/enclosure), and an external drive (preferably formatted to HFS+ journaled). OSX has all the tools you'll need to put everything back exactly as it was without the chance of screwing up permissions or leaving the system unbootable.

quinnlaup
03-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Thanks for your help anonymous Mac Tech unfortunately i dont have another Mac at the minute to hook the HDD up to but you never know what will come through the door tomorrow.

regards

quinnlaup

quinnlaup
03-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Ccomp5950

tried your suggestion of running nautilus as the root and i now have access to the files i need. However i was wondering if i now copy these files onto an external HDD for the customer will she be able to access them via another Mac or is there likely to be an ownership issue?

kind regards

quinnlaup

gazza
03-09-2011, 11:27 PM
You need Macdrive 8!. Take the drive out of the mac and hook it up to your windows machine and let Macdrive 8 read and copy the data form the drive.

Ccomp5950
03-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Ccomp5950

tried your suggestion of running nautilus as the root and i now have access to the files i need. However i was wondering if i now copy these files onto an external HDD for the customer will she be able to access them via another Mac or is there likely to be an ownership issue?

kind regards

quinnlaup

Try it, and if not you can always change permissions on the files.