PDA

View Full Version : strange problem with shutting down

tarik
02-26-2011, 01:38 PM
ok strange problem with a customers pc.
pc shuts down almost as soon as we get into windows vista.
pc will work and run fine in safe mode.

we have checked and swapped power supplies, ram, hard drives and graphics cards all to no avail.

only thing i havent done yet is reformat but i dont believe thats the case as it happens even when i unplug the hdd and boot from a ubuntu live cd.

Have also checked all the bios settings and all seems fine.

im starting to think it could be a bad motherboard?

KompuKare
02-26-2011, 01:42 PM
I assume you have tried shutdown -a?

A shutdown sounds more software to me, a reset or even instant power off is more likely to be hardware.

tarik
02-26-2011, 01:44 PM
yes sorry tried that i mean an actual switch off of the pc as if power was being cut.
Temperatures are all fine and low, have also applied more thermal compound and cleaned any dust from case.

MobileTechie
02-26-2011, 01:49 PM
If it works in safe-mode then I don't see how it could be h/w

Martyn
02-26-2011, 01:53 PM

Was just putting that :D

tarik
02-26-2011, 01:53 PM

this is what i was thinking originally, but then when i disconnected everything and tried booting into ubuntu same problem. computer just switches off before its even loaded.

Martyn
02-26-2011, 01:55 PM
If I was going to try any hardware I would whip in a psu to test. It wouldn't explain why safe mode would work but would rule it out. Maybe you just got lucky with safe mode. Is it consistently doing it in each mode eg safe mode always ok, normal mode not, Ubuntu not?

tarik
02-26-2011, 01:57 PM
changed psu already, no change

Martyn
02-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Sorry didn't see that. :o

MobileTechie
02-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Maybe working in safe mode was a one off? If not then why that happens would be interesting.

Do the logs give anything away? I.e. is the same event being logged before each shut down?

buzzcut
02-26-2011, 02:10 PM
swap out the HD for a good one (i have a spare bench one for testing) if it loads then your HD is physically damaged or infested.

tarik
02-26-2011, 02:11 PM
its consistently working in safe mode, running in safe mode now for five minutes fine, only logs that relate to hardware that i can see are

"IRQARB : ACPI BIOS does not contain IRQ for the device in PCI slot 15, function2. please contact system vendor for tech assist"

same error for slots 10-14 aswell.
there are some winlogon errors too but ill discard them as it shuts down with ubuntu too everytime i try that.

tarik
02-26-2011, 02:12 PM
swap out the HD for a good one (i have a spare bench one for testing) if it loads then your HD is physically damaged or infested.

tried it with no hard drive plugged in at all and the ubuntu live cd with same problem

KompuKare
02-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Ok, you've tried Ubuntu and a good PSU so it sounds like the mobo. How about disabling almost everything in the BIOS and trying it again (Safe mode doesn't initializes much hardware, whereas Ubuntu does).

Martyn
02-26-2011, 02:15 PM
I know you said you tried ram but have you tried one stick of known good ram?

tarik
02-26-2011, 02:16 PM
I know you said you tried ram but have you tried one stick of known good ram?

it only has one stick in it now and iv changed that for a stick out of my bench machine, different brand, different speed. same problem :confused:

KompuKare
02-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Oh, and clear the CMOS since it's possible that the BIOS has got corrupted somehow. I once had a mobo with bad onboard audio giving me similar problems (not shutdown but consistent resets whether in Windows or Linux).

tarik
02-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Ok, you've tried Ubuntu and a good PSU so it sounds like the mobo. How about disabling almost everything in the BIOS and trying it again (Safe mode doesn't initializes much hardware, whereas Ubuntu does).

just done this and still same

tarik
02-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Oh, and clear the CMOS since it's possible that the BIOS has got corrupted somehow. I once had a mobo with bad onboard audio giving me similar problems (not shutdown but consistent resets whether in Windows or Linux).

tried this before (forgot to mention it before)

MobileTechie
02-26-2011, 02:32 PM
its consistently working in safe mode, running in safe mode now for five minutes fine, only logs that relate to hardware that i can see are

"IRQARB : ACPI BIOS does not contain IRQ for the device in PCI slot 15, function2. please contact system vendor for tech assist"

same error for slots 10-14 aswell.
there are some winlogon errors too but ill discard them as it shuts down with ubuntu too everytime i try that.

I hadn't noticed you mention it failing in ubuntu sorry. As has been said, ubuntu loads its own drivers for more h/w than safe mode does. Given those erros it might be that the bios is having problems with the OS in relation to ACPI. Might be worth flashing the BIOS with the latest version.

It could be the mobo of course. I have a laptop which has a faulty GPU. It works fine in safemode (which runs basic VGA drivers) but fails in normal mode or with ubuntu. It works fine in normal mode as long as I don't try to use the proper graphics drivers.

tarik
02-26-2011, 02:36 PM
I hadn't noticed you mention it failing in ubuntu sorry. As has been said, ubuntu loads its own drivers for more h/w than safe mode does. Given those erros it might be that the bios is having problems with the OS in relation to ACPI. Might be worth flashing the BIOS with the latest version.

It could be the mobo of course. I have a laptop which has a faulty GPU. It works fine in safemode (which runs basic VGA drivers) but fails in normal mode or with ubuntu. It works fine in normal mode as long as I don't try to use the proper graphics drivers.

yep i am currently looking for any bios verisions

thanks for everyones help, ill update with any luck

KompuKare
02-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Given those erros it might be that the bios is having problems with the OS in relation to ACPI. Might be worth flashing the BIOS with the latest version.

+1 to both of those. Since you've tried Ubuntu without the HDD (hopefully with all other peripherals disabled in the BIOS) it could be an actual faulty SATA port though. SATA cables are pretty simple but it might be worth swaping them out and using a different port.

Another thing, a live Ubuntu doesn't really give you too much control (I think you can issue cmd options but am unsure) but since it seems stable in Windows Safe Mode, you could try forcing it into a different SATA mode in Safe Mode.

tarik
02-26-2011, 02:50 PM
right, just had my little usb flash drive plugged in, was going to access some files on it ( i was in safe mode at the time) and it switched itself off.

MobileTechie
02-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Will a diagnostic startup in normal mode work by the way?

timmymacs
03-10-2011, 05:16 AM
I had the exact same problem with a machine 2 weeks ago. Check the capacitors on the motherboard to see if any are bulged at the top or bottom or have electrolyte spilling out. Visually i thought the M/B I was looking at was fine at first glance, but then a few of the capacitors had bulged at the bottom and gone lopsided. They should all be flat.

PcTestCard.com
03-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Check if there is any damaged capacitor on the mainboard.

Safe mode skips some drivers and devices loading.

Could also be caused by the device resource conflict as well.

Reformat the reinstall the new copy of the OS may help.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Tech Manager

tarik
03-23-2011, 05:25 PM
just to update this thread. couldnt see any bad capacitors on the board etc, but replaced it anyway and all worked fine. loaded windows vista and away he went. absolute headache