PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning PCs?

Mrush1971
05-20-2008, 03:17 AM
I have kind of a big home network consisting of around 10 desktops and was curious as to what everyone does to physically clean out their pcs....I am kinda a neat freak and compressed air is costing me a fortune....any suggestions????

generalj
05-20-2008, 03:20 AM
At home in my garage where my pc's are also at I have a electric air compressor. The really nice shop ones that I also use for automotive work and such.

Check craigslist or something to see if you can find one, should be able to get a decent used one pretty cheap.

just_a_nobody
05-20-2008, 03:26 AM
I also use a small portable air compressor that I bought on Ebay for about $70, it works great, and cheaper than canned air.

Mrush1971
05-20-2008, 03:31 AM
Aren't you guys worried about moisture in the air? Just curious....I tried using a compressor before and the air was a little damp.........

MHCG
05-20-2008, 03:37 AM
Shop vac ftw

juiceman39
05-20-2008, 04:11 AM
A bought one of these from Lowes Home Improvement store-works great. It uses a Paintball CO2 tank. You get air compressor pressure in a portable setup. Comes with a carry case. You must have the tanks filled when you get the kit (they cant ship them full). to see them go to Lowes.com and type in "portable Compressed CO2 regulator". If you have a small nailer, you can do some carpenter work also, or fill up a flat tire on the road.

generalj
05-20-2008, 04:32 AM
I am not worried about moisture. I have use this compressor for over 15 years and never had one problem with it.

btw I have a 10 gal 120 psi air compressor so its not portable. I have thought about getting a portable one and also a portable vac, but most vacs even my shop vac doesn't seem to do the job as good as I like. The vac can get the big dust bunnies pretty good but they don't seem to get into the vents deep enough. I also use the shop vac the same time I use the compressor sometimes to keep dust going into the air to a minimum.

Bryce W
05-21-2008, 04:04 AM
My cleaning process:
http://www.technibble.com/how-to-clean-the-inside-of-a-computer-case/

jaross18
05-21-2008, 04:10 AM
I use an Air Compressor and Shopvac. I use the Air compressor to blow the dust out of the heat sink and fans and I use the shopvac to catch all of the dust. Works good for us.

We don't use canned air unless we are on a house call.

05-21-2008, 04:17 AM
I have a small 2 gallon air compressor I use. Moisture can be a problem, especially if you carry it with you, but there are moisture/condensation traps you can buy to put in line with the airgun. There are a few different types, and they're anywhere from $10 - 100 US, depending on the filter type.

I use a shop vac if the case if filled with dust, but I only use it for big clumps. Unless you earth ground the hose, it can build up some serious static, so it's really not a good idea to use a household vac on any of the electronics. I'm about 99% certain a co-worker at a previous job fried a motherboard vacuuming it out.

cbclark
05-21-2008, 09:14 PM
We recently picked up a small shop vac and run it on reverse to blow out the dust. Immensely superior to canned air and the little electric air compressor that I was using, and far cheaper. :cool:

JohnG
05-22-2008, 12:09 AM
If you are using a air compressor, a moisture trap is in order, no matter if you think there is no moisture, there most assuredly is as the tanks condensate. Just my two cents worth.

nonchalant
05-25-2008, 06:25 AM
Clean paintbrush and home vac..

rsavoia
05-25-2008, 06:28 PM
I use canned air but it does get expensive. I used to buy it by the case from a distrbutor because I sold it in my shop as well. I usually sold about half the case and used the other half, so in the end it pretty much paid for itself.

mbwalden
05-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Hello,

I recommend a small PC vacuum. I have one (purchased at Fry's Electronics). They are compact, have a good hose length, and several attachments that can help you get around inside a case.

podnutz
05-28-2008, 02:29 AM
I never tried it but Carey Holzman from Computer America swears by his electric leaf blower for cleaning out his computers. Might be worth a shot.

jj2000
05-28-2008, 04:37 AM
with regards to using a leaf blower,i think that carey must have been having a laugh unless the leaf blowers in the U.S are a lot less powerful than the ones over here in dear ole blighty,because i had heard this before and thought i would test it out on on old P11 machine that was lying around in the shop, all i can say is that it was not pretty it cleaned the crap off ok but it also cleaned off various components which were never to be seen again :D:D i think they ar still blowing down the street:D
so if you want to try this method for gods sake be careful.

podnutz
05-28-2008, 06:10 AM
sorry jj2000, I can't stop laughing thinking about that. Carey actually does use one, but he uses a low powered electric one. Which is good because they're only like $25.

jj2000
05-28-2008, 06:59 AM
yep when it happened i thought it was funny but i just wish i kept the video as the look on the wifes face really was priceless as all the bits went flying off down the driveway, it was only what i thought to be low powered but obviously it was not low enough :D:D:D and you are right its still funny thinking about it now.

mh348
05-28-2008, 08:20 AM
You can get a low powered air blower. I saw the Guy that Services teh Aircons using one to remove the dust. Here's a link for one that I found on another forum. http://www.makita.co.za/Blowers.htm