PDA

View Full Version : Christ Church New Zealand Earthquake

ijunkie
02-22-2011, 01:29 PM
I searched earthquake and didn't find anything. I was wondering if the folks on this forum that live there are ok? Methical comes to mind. My heart goes out to you guys and I am hoping the best for you. :( I hope that you see this thread and post in it to let us know you are alright.

JosephLeo
02-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Logged in to post this, but looks like someone was ahead of me.

Just 6 months ago the SAME CITY was hit with a 7.1 magnitude earthquake that miraculously left 0 people dead, however this extremely large aftershock that just hit has left a total of 65 dead, thus far. Partly due to the damaged infrastructure and buildings which have collapsed.

My prayers go out to the loved ones of the lost and all those hurt in this horrible event. Stay safe Oceania, you've been hit hard this year haven't you.

Knightsman
02-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Such a tragic event. God Speed to these people, and condolences to the families!

Martyn
02-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Methical logged on this morning so hopefully he is ok.

TLE
02-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Logged in to post this, but looks like someone was ahead of me.

Just 6 months ago the SAME CITY was hit with a 7.1 magnitude earthquake that miraculously left 0 people dead, however this extremely large aftershock that just hit has left a total of 65 dead, thus far. Partly due to the damaged infrastructure and buildings which have collapsed.

My prayers go out to the loved ones of the lost and all those hurt in this horrible event. Stay safe Oceania, you've been hit hard this year haven't you.

Hope your all well Methical.

This quake wasn't as powerful 6.3, but it was alot shallower 5km not 50km like the last one, hence the level of destruction. Not nice!!

JosephLeo
02-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Hope your all well Methical.

This quake wasn't as powerful 6.3, but it was alot shallower 5km not 50km like the last one, hence the level of destruction. Not nice!!

According to Methical's login history he may be safe.

He last logged in at February 22nd 3:33AM (United States - Eastern Time Zone) and the eartquake hit February 21st 6:51PM (United States - Eastern Time Zone)

That's almost a 9 hour difference from the earthquake to his login. I still pray he (and our other TechNibble friends in New Zealand) are safe. But for now it seems we may safely assume that he is safe. Thanks Martyn for reminding me of the login feature.

Elemdee
02-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Yeah I immediately thought of him too. It must be chaos down there right now. :( Hope you're safe, Tim. <3

cyabro
02-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Very strange emotional day yesterday.
We had our second baby born in the morning, healthy boy, and then got home to hear about the quake in Christchurch.
We are in the north island and chch is in the south island so we didn't feel it at all.
Have since managed to contact my brother who lives in chch and thankfully he is ok.

JosephLeo
02-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Very strange emotional day yesterday.
We had our second baby born in the morning, healthy boy, and then got home to hear about the quake in Christchurch.
We are in the north island and chch is in the south island so we didn't feel it at all.
Have since managed to contact my brother who lives in chch and thankfully he is ok.

Wow! First of all congratulations on the baby. Babies will always bring a smile to people's faces even in the worst of situations! (I want one soon)

It's great to hear the good news about your brother.

cyabro
02-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Wow! First of all congratulations on the baby. Babies will always bring a smile to people's faces even in the worst of situations! (I want one soon)

It's great to hear the good news about your brother.

Thanks Joseph.

We tried to convince my brother to move back north after the last big quake chch had in September, on my birthday actually :(, so maybe now he will make the move.

Petetech888
02-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Most of our city is a mess, there roads have risen up and cracks are everywhere. There is liquification all over the city because of the force coming up from underground. This was pretty bad because it was so shallow and close to the surface. The first 7.1 felt minor compared to this one, it felt like the earth rose and fell and shook everything which went on for what seemed like ages, I was thrown from wall to wall running through our house to reach my 5 month old son and partner.
A lot of hotels have been brought to the ground and hopefully one of those Methical was working in was not one of them. We have 75 confirmed dead and over 300 missing at the moment.
We have 11 family members in our house, the new workshop/office we had nearly finished was largely unaffected except mud from the liquidation of the earth underground seeping in through the walls during the first few hours. We dug trenches to divert the rivers of it from doing too much damage to the house while aftershocks threw us about from time to time. Rivers of mud were coming from under the house and through a neighbours fences. Its something we will never forget.
The water has stopped running, by some small miracle we have internet via fibre optics and coaxial cable into the house but no phone line and the power has come back on.
At any time we could get hit by another one so we do what we can hoping its enough and the next one is one we can deal with. Aftershocks come at all hours of the day and night, sometimes noting for hours then a few all at once, extremely random in their timing.
Thanks for your support we all appreciate it when we catch the news reports. it good to see it here too guys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2hwBgRtBjQ&feature=player_embedded

Bryce W
02-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Just shot Methical an email to ask if he came through that earthquake in one piece. I would call or SMS or something but he didnt leave those details in his TN profile. Also sent him a link to this thread. I assume he checks his email more than TN itself.

Knightsman
02-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Most of our city is a mess, there roads have risen up and cracks are everywhere. There is liquification all over the city because of the force coming up from underground. This was pretty bad because it was so shallow and close to the surface. The first 7.1 felt minor compared to this one, it felt like the earth rose and fell and shook everything which went on for what seemed like ages, I was thrown from wall to wall running through our house to reach my 5 month old son and partner.
A lot of hotels have been brought to the ground and hopefully one of those Methical was working in was not one of them. We have 75 confirmed dead and over 300 missing at the moment.
We have 11 family members in our house, the new workshop/office we had nearly finished was largely unaffected except mud from the liquidation of the earth underground seeping in through the walls during the first few hours. We dug trenches to divert the rivers of it from doing too much damage to the house while aftershocks threw us about from time to time. Rivers of mud were coming from under the house and through a neighbours fences. Its something we will never forget.
The water has stopped running, by some small miracle we have internet via fibre optics and coaxial cable into the house but no phone line and the power has come back on.
At any time we could get hit by another one so we do what we can hoping its enough and the next one is one we can deal with. Aftershocks come at all hours of the day and night, sometimes noting for hours then a few all at once, extremely random in their timing.
Thanks for your support we all appreciate it when we catch the news reports. it good to see it here too guys.

Wow, this is great video. Glad you made it out ok.

Methical
02-23-2011, 08:02 PM

Its good to see someone else from Christchurch here ! :) Maybe when this is all over, you might have a job for me .. I don't think that I have one to go back to anymore.

I was @ work when it struck. Millennium Hotel in Cathedral Square. It was just a normal working day; and then all hell broke loose. The force of it was absolutely incredible; I was getting thrown round into stuff left-right-and-center trying to get under a doorway. Although now that I think about it, there wasn't much point making it to a doorway, as I was @ the bottom of a 12 storey building.

We managed to get ourselves outside after the shaking had subsided a bit; and the whole square was literally covered in a thick cloud of dust from all the falling buildings in the Square (particulary part of the Cathedral, and The Press building).

At the moment, we are trying to get by .. 60% of the city is without electricity. 80% is without running water. 71 confirmed dead atm; with a handful of bodies still yet to be pulled from the rubble and identified.

Check out 3news.co.nz for more details on the quake.

Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks for all the support.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KetOf15Q3lc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opsiKirDfdE&feature=related

Xander
02-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Glad to hear you're alright, Meth. Your family is safe, too?

dbdawn
02-23-2011, 08:08 PM
I am glad that you are ok Methical. It is a bummer about the job, but at least you and the family are alive which is important.

JosephLeo
02-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Great to hear from you Methical, glad to know one of our most prolific and many other of our Chch friends are doing well.

Martyn
02-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Great to hear from you Methical, keep safe.

Methical
02-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Roses are red, the cha lice is blue, The cathedral has fallen, many buildings have too, You can rattle our bones, you can rip streets apart, But you will never defeat, our red and black hearts, For we are Cantabrians, and together we know, We stand tall together, through anything we regrow

Me and my family are doing well; better than most. We are all alive and safe, which is the main thing. My Dad is part of the rescue/recovery of people in the collapsed buildings, so every time we feel an aftershock (every 10-15min) I fear for him as buildings could collapse more.

Thanks for all the support guys. Yes, Oceania has been hit hard in the last 6 months.

Check out this site : http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/

It shows a map of the South Island of New Zealand, and shows you where EVERY earthquake has hit since Sept 4th 2010. 4992 to be exact ! But you can also use the JumpTo links @ the top.

Just found another survivor in some rubble as we speak, right next to my work !! :) :) :)

Titan-vds
02-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Glad to hear you and your family are ok.

Petetech888
02-23-2011, 11:15 PM
I knew you were in hospo in a hotel but couldnt remember what one. If we come out of this and I still have a business give me a call, I could definately use a switched on man like yourself. We have power and phone (phone line broken so it comes and goes) but no running water yet. My brother is in the fire service and yeah mate, every time Im hoping he isnt in a building, saw him yesterday and he was pulling bodies out of buildings, its going to impact us all but him and all they guys doing the recovery are going to be affected by this a lot more. Those are the heros, they go in every day and see some pretty horrendous stuff. Hope your Dad stays safe buddy. Send me a text when things calm down, will PM my cell to you. We are losing 2,500 people out of the city every day, understandable. Here is another link. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/image.cfm?c_id=1&gal_cid=1&gallery_id=116939#7382984

ijunkie
02-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Very glad you guys have made it through. My best wishes for you, your families and all those affected by this disaster.

Cadishead Computers
02-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Props to everyone who is aiding and helping out, all of those who are less fortunate than ourselves.

It's great to see you and yours are safe and well Meth. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. Not that it's a great deal of help, but never the less.

sys-eng
02-26-2011, 08:24 PM
It is great to hear that Petetech888 and Methical are doing OK in this catastrophe. Hopefully, this last shallow earthquake released the pressure that has been building so there will be no more for a long time.

I would expect an overwhelming amount of computer work to be needed after this. Good luck and stay safe.

Methical
06-13-2011, 07:53 AM
^^ Managed to survive a 5.5 and 6 today :D

Kia Kaha Christchurch !

cyabro
06-13-2011, 08:56 AM
^^ Managed to survive a 5.5 and 6 today :D

Kia Kaha Christchurch !

Good to hear you're ok!
My brother is also ok.
He managed to text us before we even heard about it this afternoon.

Methical
06-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Thats good to hear.. What side of town is your brother on ?

Did you hear that it got upgraded to a 5.7 and 6.3 respectively? Very restless last couple of nights.. Off to work soon to tidy up, and inspect our building.