PDA

View Full Version : Front USB freezing - solved

lazzo71
05-13-2008, 03:57 AM
Just came across a system where the front USB ports would freeze everytime a device was attached, the rear USB were also not working correctly, not recognising plug and play.
I updated the motherboard drivers which corrected the rear USB ports.
The front USB are a different story though. The M/B was a Micro Star Int. (MSI).
Apparently there is an inbuilt error in these boards, and possibly others. The rear USB ports are grounded properly, the front ones aren't. So event hough these ones used to work, they had now failed.
If you undo the connector on from the USB ports onto the M/B, connector 10 needs to be disabled. This is normally the pin on it's own, which is normally for grounding. It may also be labelled OC or over current. I pulled the black wire out of the plug, insulated it with electrical tape, reconnected the plug, and hey presto! The front USB ports now work.
Hope this helps anyway facing this problem.

bluescreenpc
05-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Nice work! Thanks for sharing your experience man.

Bryce W
05-14-2008, 05:17 AM
Thanks for this. I try to avoid selling MSI motherboards for their little oddities like this. Ive sold a few of them because it was all I could get NEW that had socket 478. Now, I use something else because MSI boards had all sorts of little issues.