PDA

View Full Version : Dell Poweredge, cloned drive, blue screen

Knightsman
02-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Getting an unmountable_boot_drive on a server that Im practicing on.

I cloned the main drive 160gb Seagate to a 500gb hitachi using Easus Disk Copy. Had a couple errors towards the end. But when I try to boot from the new drive, I get a blue screen, either in normal or trying in safe mode. Any ideas?

Knightsman
02-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Going to download the server 03 iso from technet, and try a fixboot.

myPCTechs
02-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Any chance the old server had special HD controller drivers installed? I see this often when going from a server with Intel RAID and trying to clone to SATA.

Knightsman
02-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Hmm, good question. From what I can see the raid was controlled with the bios. I will check that out and see if that might be it.

How would I get around that?

AdamsAPlus
02-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Even if the raid was controlled in the bios you may still need special drivers. I would think it copy those drivers over when you cloned. That may have been when you got the errors.

I would try the fix that you suggested with the server 03.

Knightsman
02-05-2011, 02:42 PM
I cant seem to find SBS Server 2003 in my technet subscription. Am I missing it? i have Technet Standard.

Knightsman
02-06-2011, 06:33 AM
Figured out what I did. Didn't realize the server drive was dynamic. Before I cloned the drives, I had the intention of just cloning the partitions. When I did, It cloned the dynamic over the partions, and the Server read the drive as F and G.

Reformatted the drive as basic, deleted partitions, and it worked! Thanks everyone for your help!